Home Forums Ambush Alley Games Ambush Z Tips for Large Ambush Z Games

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Mikucki
    Participant

Guys – looking for some tips here.  I’m running a 6-8 player Ambush Z game at a convention in late January.  Doing some play testing this week.

I’m hoping folks can help me with tips about running a game larger than typical.

1. My scale is 15mm, and the table is 6×4.
    2. The scenario is 6-8 squads of ad-hoc military and law enforcement going into an urban area to find and retrieve ‘Patient Zero’.  Conceptually, I only plan to use Zeds/zulus.  The board should get more and more crowded by Zeds groups as they generate, with the squads checking buildings, trying to maneuver around them etc.
    3. I’ve run four player games, but with the recaction system, I am interested in anyone’s experience with keeping the pace going for a larger game.
    4. Considering having the players help the GM run the Zombies vs having players play them.

Anyone done a similar size game?

Thanks,
    Chris

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Happy holidays to you,

If your going to run larger than usual games then I would suggest doing the following

Increase the number of hot spots to 2d6 and make a roll of 12 equivalent to the standard 6 (zed player chooses which spot to use).

Remember noise makes zombies, ANY noise. Break open doors, roll for more zeds. Firing none silenced weapons roll for zeds.

you could also add 1 or 2 to the number of zeds that are created (so 1d6+2 becomes 1d6+3 or 4)

Have very few TQ10 troops and no TQ12’s

Just a few quick ideas off of the top of my head.

Jim

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Another idea just sprung to mind, have the players split into 2 or more groups each working for a different vaxine company all trying to get to patient zero first. Stops team cooperation and also hightends the likelihood of human v human conflict that in itself increases the likelihood of more zeds being produced?

Jim

Chris Mikucki
    Participant

Thanks Jim – good suggestions.

I started a play test with my nephews and sons.  The action is building after 6 turns.  I tried some additional hot spots, and also some additional zombies for each activation.  Both worked well.  The boys picked their own squads – one army, one police/swat, one elite US Special Ops, and one selected armed survivors for the mission.  Lots of fun so  far.  The escalating number of roaming zeds and the fear of casualties is really fun to see in the game mechanics.

Because the game will go longer, I’m only escalating the infection level every six turns.  I’ll post up some pics if I can figure out how.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Chris,

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Glad you found my ideas useful and I’m glad they worked !

Have not thought of changing the location of the target each game so the replay value feels fresh each game and also force teams to enter buildings in order to locate them.

I would be interested to hear the outcome and know how long a game lasted. Where are you planning to run it?

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.