Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Tirailleurs du Po

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joseph Lutz 6 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Joseph Lutz
    Participant

It is accepted that the Tirailleurs du Po wore “chapeau” (bicornes) during the Polish Campaign (1807) and the previous ones (1805 and 1806), but I would like to know if they wore bicornes during the 1809 Campaign too.

I have seen some uniform plates that show this unit in bicornes from 1803 to 1811. But I am not sure about their accuracy.

Could you give me some information about this matter?

Thanks

willz
    willz
    Participant

This site is useful I think?

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=39439.0

Le Plumet plates are very good for accurate information.

The Regiment “11e Tirailleurs du Po”, was born in april 1803 by some italian volunteers, most of them coming from Piemonte and from the collapsed Kingdom of Sardinia.
    The first important battle took place just after they joined the Grand Armèe, when the Marshal Nicolas Jean-de-Dieu Soult, took them under his wing for the 3rd coalition war against the Austrian Empire, in which they’ll be remembered for Austerlitz Battle.
    Again under control of Marshal Soult, in 1806, the regiment takes part in 4th coalition war against Prussia, suffering serious losses in most important battles: Jena, Eylau & Friedland, the last one against Russia.
    In the 5th coalition war, in 1809, the regiment took part only in Ebersberg, Aspern-Essling & Wangram battles.
    But finally, in 1811, they became the 2nd “tirailleurs” french regiment; Sadly, the regiment takes part in Russia Campaign, falling in terrible losses.
    After the official reform, they fought in the german campaign proving themselves in the battles of: Dresda, Lipsia, Brienne & Monterean; But, sadly again, Napoleon abdicates and the 11e Tirailleurs du Po was disbanded.
    After Napoleon escaped from Elba, the regiment reforms again and fought in the important battles of Ligny & Waterloo, where Napoleon was definitely defeated, and the regiment was disbanded permanently.

Tirailleurs du Pô
    “They Rapidly Became a Crack Battalion”
    “The Piedmontese army is as fine and soldier-like a body of men as any in Europe. … Of all the Italian states, Piedmont is the best situated for creating a good army. The plains of the Po and its tributaries produce capital horses, and a fine, tall race of men, the tallest of all Italians …. The mountains, which surround these plains on three sides, north, west, and south, are inhabited by a hardy people, less in size, but strong and active, industrious and sharp-witted, like all mountaineers.” (Source -“The Armies of Europe” in Putnam’s Monthly, No. XXXII, published in 1855)

The Tirailleurs du Pô were formed in 1803 of northern Italians. According to John Elting “they rapidly became a crack battalion”. In 1811 the Tirailleurs du Po were incorporated into French 11e Regiment d’Infanterie Légère. The battalion was commanded by chef (not colonel): in 1803 – by Prince Borghese, 1804 – Cattaneo, 1805 – Hulot, and in 1809 – by Mano.

Battle record: 1805 – Holabrunn and Austerlitz, 1807 – Heilsberg, 1809 – Herttingen, Reid, Ebersberg, Essling and Wagram.

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_Napoleon_3.htm#dupo

On this site pan down 4 pictures and you will see a picture of : Tirailleurs Corses and Tirailleurs du Po in Ebersberg.  Tirailleurs du Po appear to wear shako’s.

Willz.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by willz willz.

Joseph Lutz
    Participant

Thank you very much for the information. That uniform plate is really amazing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.