Home Forums Ancients To the Strongest, 15mm Athens Vs Sparta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sheepman
    Participant

Simon Miller’s ‘To the Strongest’, in my opinion the best set of ancients rules that I have come across in a long time these will be my go to set for quite a while.
    Some photos of our recient Sparta Vs Athens game.

Don’t worry you don’t need hexes to play this set of rules, I just adapted them to my setup. Do have a look at the BATRAP for the whole game

HERE

Sorry, it’s quite long and rather pic heavy but it was a great game and we had a lot of fun, which is what it’s all about really!
    Dave.

'The higher up the tree the monkey goes, the more of it's arse you can see'.
    To bosses everywhere!

http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Norm S
    Participant

Very interesting, I use hexes, but mine are 4* hexes and my table looks smaller than yours.

2 things – Firstly your picture number 2 in your AAR is not showing when I browse

secondly, my hex grid is around 12 to 14 wide by 9 deep – would I be able to get a game onto that size grid, or would I need a bigger hex field?

3rd95th
    Participant

Norm – you would be able to get a game on that. At the club we use a mat 1200mm by 800mm divided into 100mm boxes. As in Dave’s pics the units are based for impetus (although we only base the mounted troops one rank deep) and we play at 130 to 150 points. The games last a couple of hours with time for smoking breaks for the non-health conscious and general interludes of loutish ribaldry for those so inclined.

In the rules Simon gives varying table grid and unit sizes to suit all circumstances really, even giving an option which effectively uses DBX elements.

I have found the rules to be the most fun I’ve had for a long time and believe me I’ve been through a lot of ancients rules to end up with these . They are simple and no matter what size the armies, they always seem to come down to a nail-biter finish with a margin of a couple of victory tokens (but that might be just because we are all equally incompetent!)

The rules also include scenarios which are simple enough to jam on a club night too. We’ve had a few Hundred Years War games using the “time is of essence scenario” where one side gets additional tokens but loses one every turn after the first – still marginal victories every time.

As for Daves report “A wuz robbed dude!” – no seriously: great game, great fun!

Cheers,

Neal

μολὼν λαβέ

sheepman
    Participant

Norm, my hexes are 100mm face to face and are on a standard size table tennis table, The pictures all seem to be ok when I look at them but do tell me if anyone still has problems. Thanks for looking in at the blog, I couldn’t add much more to Neals comments and would agree that these are a great set of rules – give em a go, you’ll love em.
    Dave

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by sheepman.

'The higher up the tree the monkey goes, the more of it's arse you can see'.
    To bosses everywhere!

http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.