Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Tools for removing figures from sprue.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, I am having an issue with some of my 6mm figures. They seem attached to the sprue with a really thick chunk of metal. My clippers leave a large chunk on the base, and my knives can chop it off, but I keep bending and weakening the legs of the soldiers. Anyone have any tips on removing ken from thick SPRUE?

Keymaster

Sounds like mine or Brigades…

I just hold the actual figure itself and use a knife…

Participant

Yeah that’s all I do. Hold and support the figure while my clippers do the work.

Participant

Flat-cut sprue cutters, e.g. http://shop.princeaugust.ie/ac-ppl5703-super-snipper/ I use them for work to get troublesome figures off mould sprues (i.e. when the gate has been cut badly) or for neatly clipping other people’s figures. I was so impressed I bought two pairs: one for the casting room, one for the hobby table.

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

I will give the holding method a go before I buy a fancy new tool. Thanks all.

Participant

I hold the base exactly on its side, so that the figure is not touching anything. I then work away that metal lump with a knife, taking of small layers at a time is less stressful on the base / figure than trying to cut off a metal chunk in one go.

Participant

I dont think there is just one answer for this.

I have used small angled clippers, flat cut clippers, or just a sharp scalpel, all as suggested above.

They all have their pros and cons although these days i mostly use a decent pair of angled clippers and then tidy up with a small flat file.

If you are using normal cheap model knives i strongly suggest buying a metal scalpel with replaceable blades. It makes a massive difference although you do have to be more careful as they are very sharp! I got mine with a box of 100 blades on amazon.

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

Flat cut clippers for me, usually does the job!

Sometimes it takes some gentle application with a blade to flatten them off, but after a few ‘slips’ I’ve started using my dremel with a sanding head fixed to the bench.

Participant

I use model railroad track cutters:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/xur/xur2175b.htm

They work great and give a nice flush cut.  If the base is particularly wide or thick, they can also make multiple flush cuts, rather like shortened parallel snips.

I do NOT recommend wire cutters though – they work like scissors and will not give you a flat cut.

Participant

If you are using normal cheap model knives i strongly suggest buying a metal scalpel with replaceable blades. It makes a massive difference although you do have to be more careful as they are very sharp! I got mine with a box of 100 blades on amazon.

Excellent as scalpel blades are for light work, they may snap when used for heavy-duty cutting (as will craft knife blades), with the result that something very sharp and pointy may ping off in the general direction of the user’s face and eyes. Flat-cut snips are far safer for heavy-duty work.

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

I’m with Ian and will second the flat cuts.  Had a pair and loved them (they went walkabout at a convention though and I need a new pair).  There have also been times when I’ve had to use a dremel with a cutting disk…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I second the model railroad track cutters.  They are designed to leave a flat surface on the outer side of the cutters usually leave nothing sticking out from the bottom of the base

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.