Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic TravelBattle by Perry's Review

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

TravelBattle from Perry Miniatures.

My new 8mm Napoleonics on a grid game from the Perry Brothers arrived today (pre-order).

I have put up a blog post re initial impressions. Interesting to see the growing popularity of figure / boardgame cross-over.

Blog LINK
    http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/travelbattle-by-perry-miniatures.html

Participant

Norm,

Forgive the post resurrection – I’ve looked on your blog and found these two posts here (review / painting) and was wondering if you still play the game, if your thoughts on the original rules have changed or if you use the figures with some other rule set?

Participant

Hi Andrew, I put a lot of work into painting the board and figures, but then sold it on. I found the system too simplistic and while it would be easy to tinker with to get the game you want, I already have a good collection of Kallistra hex terrain and so have an alternatives for my ‘grid fix’.

I know some gamers bought two sets, so that they had a big playing area with twice as many boards and the figures supplied are generic enough to represent various unit types, so there is good scope for tinkering. It is interesting that the product to date has been stand alone and not added to or broadened to other periods.

Participant

Thank you for that  – I guess it’s not sold as well as they hoped.

Be interesting to see if Warlord plastics branch out from ACW. I’m not convinced they will as I understand the ACW figures where a personal wish (though blowed if I can find the video to confirm this now)…

I wonder if the lack of flashy uniforms and unit details (inc flags) put folk off this scale???

Participant

The ACW line sold well. It’s the follow up stuff that is too expensive.

I think they might try an ECW set. Also a period where both sides can be represented by generic figure. Maybe have this one be a two different sprue set. If that works, they could do Seven Years War with a sprue or two. And if that sells, the could shoot the moon with a three sprue Napoleonics set.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

As I understand it, Epic ACW first wave sold very well and so one might expect more of the same, but it is also worth noting that ACW as an Epic range does not compete with any of their own 28mm ranges.

From memory, you could buy extra TravelBattle sprues from Perry, so if that is cost effective, it may be worth ordering a sprue or two from them to see what you think.

Participant

From memory, you could buy extra TravelBattle sprues from Perry, so if that is cost effective, it may be worth ordering a sprue or two from them to see what you think.

Good memory – they do (£3 a sprue here) and it was my Risk figure question here that led to your blog and then this thread – a very circular world (flat or otherwise).

From the examples I’ve seen its only the silly slot bases that I’m not keen on (i.e. the detail is fine and the size is great) so I may post on the Wanteds and search eBay to see if anyone has kit in the New Year. I’ve still got my block game QRS and campaign to sort first (Yup I’m suffering the typical gamers ‘oh shiny’ syndrome) 

Now I know the rules are ‘lacking’ that comes third and figures fourth

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.