Home Forums General General Trays for bases

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty much have decided (fixated?) on Kaiser Rushforth cardboard cases for storage and short term transport of my miniatures (Legacy 25+mm, current and future 15/18mm, 6mm, and 3mm.)

Now as to foam trays…

Much of my individual based figures are on 15mm circles (15/18/6/3mm,) 20mm circles (25+mm irregular, militia, smaller PCs,) 3/4″ squares (25+mm drilled or disciplined regulars, average sized PCs,) with movement trays for grouping units on either LITKO movement trays, or one of the old Fantasy Rules! formats.

Individually based 25+mm mounted troops default to 25mm x 50mm bases.

As I plan storage trays for shorter figures I am looking at KR “R” trays (20mm x 20mm slots) for individually mounted foot troops, “N” trays (25mm x 50mm slots) for cavalry, “M” trays (25mm x 40mm slots) for doubling up foot figure or figures with long pole arms, and “F” trays (32mm x 52mm slots) for larger figures laid on their faces/sides currently.

The point of all this digression is should I consider unit basing my 15/18/6/3mm mounted units on 25mm x 40mm bases since “M” trays make up the majority of my trays, keep them on 25mm x 50mm bases like my larger sized mount d units, or choose some other basing size?

It has been (seriously) suggested that I use 15mm x 30mm for heavy “cavalry” units, 20mm x 40mm for mediums, and 25mm x 50mm for lights for identification purposes by a primarily 28mm War gamer friend.

Comments are requested.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay.

The incoherent details scared you off?

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Sorry, I didn’t think I could add anything useful to be honest.

Most of my storage is in plastic tray shelving in units – sometimes on wheels with magnetic basing so steel paper or coin based figures stick to the base. The base sizes are predicated upon the rule sets the figures are used with rather than storage concerns – so I’d say do that.  Stick to what you use them for and make the storage conform to that.

Mike
    Keymaster

The base sizes are predicated upon the rule sets the figures are used with rather than storage concerns – so I’d say do that.  Stick to what you use them for and make the storage conform to that.

Yeah this, even if that means buying pick and pluck trays and making them yourself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you both for your comments.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I pretty much ignore the required size bases of the rules since I usually supply all sides in my games and go with bases that fit the figure size for individual figures and base the units on figures that reflect the ground scale for the units involved in a particular era.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.