Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Trigan Empire War Gaming

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So, when I was 7 years old I would go to school on Saturday mornings. My parents had emigrated to Canada just before my birth from Germany and I was probably still working on my English. They had an assortment of Look and Learn magazines that I devoured.

Among the more practical, science based articles, what stuck out for me was this most beautiful, crazy, anachronistic comic series I have every seen. I quickly gobbled up every comic. I read them out of sequence, with large chunks missing and I had no clue what the plot was about. I knew there seemed to be plenty of typical Roman style intrigue.

This comic always stuck with me. Decades later (at age 64) I randomly came across a Don Lawrence illustration on the internet. I instantly knew what I rediscovered from my childhood. It was the Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire. I even learned that it was Look and Learn that I first discovered this.

So the point of all this is: Does anyone make semi appropriate space Romans that would make for suitable Trigans?

Sorry not the best picture as no one is wearing the typical Roman (and Greek) outfits. A quick Google search will bring up a plethora of Mr. Lawrence’s artwork.

Participant

Depends on scale to some extent. The 3 and 6mm scale figures from Vanguard have a bit of the Romanness about them although they’re meant to be more gothic.

Participant

There’s also Scibor if you like 28mm, and can afford to pay top dollar.

https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=173

Scotia Grendel’s “Junkers” also have a decidedly Roman vibe, although a bit more haywire and again not the cheapest.

Participant

I share your sense of wonder about rediscovering this comic creation. I didn’t see it initially in Look and Learn but in Ranger c1965.

Ranger only ran a short time, about 9 months from Sept 65 to June 66. I had no idea what happened to it and I only had a few issues with the beginning of the Trigan Empire story. I didn’t realise it continued in Look and Learn until much later.

Finding out that the story was not lost was, to me,  like discovering some texts from the lost library at Alexandria!

I have to confess that it never occurred to me to try and game it however.

Best of luck with this endeavour and let s know how it pans out.

Participant

You and I are obviously of an age and we discovered the Trigan Empire at the same age and in the same way. I loved it and it had an impact on my opinion as to what Science Fiction could be and has fed into the rules I write 🙂

I found this in a charity bookshop for pence (borrowed photo) and treasure it 🙂

In 6mm, Irregular have some ships that will do perfectly for Trigan Empire

The one in the top right especially comes from a picture I sent him a lot of years ago 🙂

Jim

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

You may wish to consider 28mm plastic kitbashing.   Victrix sell some great Romans, both Republican and Early Imperial.   You could get some SF weapons and other gubbins from Stargrave kits.  Wargames Atlantic actually sell a sprue of just SF weapons for conversions.

Hard plastic is so much easier to convert figures than metal!

Participant

You and I are obviously of an age and we discovered the Trigan Empire at the same age and in the same way. I loved it and it had an impact on my opinion as to what Science Fiction could be and has fed into the rules I write 🙂 I found this in a charity bookshop for pence (borrowed photo) and treasure it 🙂 In 6mm, Irregular have some ships that will do perfectly for Trigan Empire The one in the top right especially comes from a picture I sent him a lot of years ago 🙂 Jim

It’s a Lokan “atmosphere scout”, if I remember correctly. By all the stars!

Participant

It’s a Lokan “atmosphere scout”, if I remember correctly. By all the stars!

It is indeed, and some other craft can come from the Irregular range 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

Found some Sci-fi Roman helmets for potential kit bashing. Wished they came with some bare faces to drop the heavy GW vibe. Which they are undoubtably designed for. Even with the mandatory “skullz”. https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/um-roman-helmets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.