Home Forums Ancients Trouble at Millawanda

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ochoin Ochoin 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

The Hittite king, Muwattalis, decided to send a punitive force to chastise the upstart Mycenaeans at their base of Millawanda.

The Hittite army was large & mobile and was comprised of Hatti, Shasu & Mitannian subject people & Sea Peoples’ mercenaries. It was a little lacking in quality & light troops were over represented. The Mycenaeans, under Wanax Agamemnon, were a smaller but superior force with generally better armour.

In the resulting battle, the Hittites tried to use their numbers by holding the centre with infantry & enveloping their Greek enemy on both flanks with chariots (light & heavy) & their new fangled camel cavalry. The Mycenaeans used their central force of Defensive spears, Armoured Swords & Offensive Spears, well supported by bows, to carve through the centre to victory.

Rules were Field of Glory: Ancients. We also used event cards with success (eg “The gods protect us!: raise the armour rating of one BG for a game turn” etc)

a panoramic view of the battlefield; Turn 6

Chariot clash on a flank

The elite Hittite heavy chariots

the centre

Figures are 1/72 & 20mm, mostly from Caesar & Newline.

donald

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Ochoin Ochoin.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Wow, a huge number of figures!!

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Wow, a huge number of figures!!

About 200 per side. That makes for an 800 point army (say, mid size for FoG).

I would have to say around about 200 a side is the usual for any but my huge armies (Naps & SYW).

donald

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Rebels and Patriots are around 50 to 80 figures per side so those look like a lot!!

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Ochoin:

My condolences on the end of the Hittite winning-streak. But the battle was interesting and the pictures lovely, so there is that. That is a very nice army you’ve got there. Are the Mycenaeans yours too? Did I notice mounted camelry as part of the Hittites’ Shasu contingent? How avant garde! That there is Iron Age thinking in the Bronze Age. I’m very impressed.

Well it’s time for Muwattalis to think long and hard about what happened on the field of battle and to fix the mess. Hittite axemen should put a dent into the Mycenaean hordes despite their better protection.

Thanks for posting this, as it was fun to see some Bronze Age warfare in miniature.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Both armies (and a 1100 point NKE) are mine.

The Hittites should have won but fouled up. They needed to use their numerous skirmishers (including a LH BG that did nothing) to slow down & harrass the Mycs.

I looked into the camel thing and AFAIC, there is a *possibility* of camels during the Late period. You’ll see the Mycs also have a cavalry unit (The Trojan Horse).

Given the remoteness of the period & the lack of surviving records around the collapse,  I allow myself leeway.

donald

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Oh! Maaahvolous! That’s what an ancients game should look like.

The cameleers may not be correct (or the may be!) but they certainly evoke the period.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Ochoin, your modeling skills are excellent and you stage a good-looking wargame.

I commend your intrepid use of the limited range of product available for your scale and period. I’m a veteran of the mini-tank era of ’20mm’ WWII wargaming. If some manufacturer made a model, we used it, whether it scaled out to 1/100 or 1/70, and we chopped kits up and made crude conversions with plastic card and rod, ‘cuz no one made an M5 Stuart or an M18 Hellcat. Lookit the pix in some of the early editions of the Command Decision rules for examples.

L’audace! Toujours l’audace!

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Thanks, Zippy.

I do love the challenge of assembling an army using the often limited range of  figures available. Searching for that elusive unit or the needed figure conversion make my armies (to me) that bit special.

That’s the appeal of 1/72-20mm.

donald

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.