Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Trying out Starport Scum

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Ivan of NWG recently released a beta ruleset for space adventures titled Starport Scum, so I had to test it out πŸ™‚

A Unity patrol had been alerted to some illicit cargo brought in by a band of Nomad space pirates. Eager for action, the dutiful captain and a squad of guards set out for the spaceport where the cargo supposedly awaited.

Both sides arrive at the port around the same time. The pirates have been out boozing and are coming in from the south, while the Unity force comes in through the north entrance.

The unnassuming cargo both sides seek.

It doesn’t take long for a firefight to erupt, pinning one of the pirates..

Seconds later, the first pirate fall to a well-placed shot by a guard.

The Unity captain locked in a fierce melee with the pirate bosun, which he will lose momentarily.

Escaping the deadly blows of his foe, the captain orders his men to secure the cargo. They move in and fire on the approaching pirates, pinning more of them.

The withering hail from the guardsmen keeps the pirates heads down, but their fearless leader charges through it, taking out the closest guard with a swipe of his blade.

Things are indeed grim for the Unity peacekeepers, as another of their number fall to a pirate barrage.

Through the din of battle, the wailing of sirens can be heard. The pirates are out of time! Deciding to fall back to fight another day, the Unity guard, bloodied but holding, can finally relax.

After 8 turns with no clear winner in sight I called my first game a draw, as nither side could hold the objective unopposed. It was a fun game, with great potential in the way you construct characters and their equipment. I have a few ideas to make the next game even more cinematic, but we shall see what comes of them.

The full report with some insight into the mechanics of the game are on the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/06/starport-scum-beta-testing.html

Thanks for looking!

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Cool.
    I will be using a modified version for my Anshan Antics Kometenmelodie game.

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

How did you make all of that scatter terrain? Do you have tutorials about it on your blog?

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Oh snap. I just spent the majority of the last couple of hours going through your blog again. I couldn’t find any tutorials, but I read Clarke’s adventures again. I was also admiring your CinC miniatures from the Solar Empire Marines line. I then went onto google and found the miniatures to see before I buy. They will be a huge part of populating my galaxy.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

@AB: Anshan antics you say? I don’t believe you’ve mentioned that before, so now you can tell us all about it πŸ™‚

@thuseld: Some of the things, like the bar, the various booths and pillars that can be seen are junk-builds, made mostly from foamcore and cardboard and then painted to look the part. The various crates barrels and containers are a timecast pieces and the objective is by none other than our own Angel barracks!

Sadly there’s no tutorials as you discovered, most of the things are pieces I came up with on the spot during Clarke’s adventures as a solution to whatever I needed right then.

Thank you for the kind words, the solar empire minis are a fun line with lots of diversity. There are even some models I got ages ago that haven’t seen a paintbrush yet, but as I get sucked into Starport Scum, there’s going to be more minis to paint for various groups of ne’er-do-wells to paint up, so they will show up at some point.

Always happy to inspire a fellow hobbyist, looking forward to see your take on the SEM minis!

greg954
    Participant

I must say I’m seeing some good stuff on here. I’ll have a butchers at your blog later, as this is interesting.

Anshan antics? I too am wondering. I’ve been quite inspired recently by events on here. So much so I’m continuing with my ongoing project.

I feel bad now, it is not even remotely exciting.
    When Anshan is built, I will be doing some sort of adventure games featuring the character models.
    They will be character based as opposed to faction based so will be more detailed but less ‘war’gamey.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

With a few rules updates and tweaks, it was time to give Starport Scum another go!

A single shot echoes through the small settlement..

A man stumbles and falls as he’s hit by the snipers bullet.

His mission completed, the sniper starts to head for extraction.

Soon the guards and former bodyguard of the target are engaged in a firefight with the assassinΒ΄s hired thughs.

The sniper and bodyguard come to blows, as photon blades slash the assassin and a bullet hits the bodyguard, wounding them both.

Falling back, the sniper fires a shard pistol to discourage pursuit.

The bodyguard finally catches up to the sniper again, and a swift blow brings him falling to the ground..

..But just as he looks defeated, his autoinjector starts pumping stims, and he shoots to his feet, barely escaping his pursuer!

Who was the mysterious attacker? How did he know to find his target in this supposedly secret location and why was he sent after a Stellar Trade Union big-wig?

These questions are just a few that will hopefully be answered as my adventure campaign gets rolling, but first I’ll have to finish up the final details, like the protagonists and antagonists πŸ™‚

The full AAR is on the blog, with some more pics: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/06/another-go-at-starport-scum.html

Thanks for looking!

ooooooh.
    Who are the good guys though?

The sniper sent to kill a bad man?
    The guy that was assassinated?

more!
    Now, things and stuff!!!

πŸ˜€

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I ignored the drugs rules, but if they can save a mission, I should reconsider.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Well Michael, right now the motivations of both the Stellar Trade Union as well as the snipers employer are unclear. Worry not though, I’ve got a short list of possible heroes and villians being prepared and as soon as they are the story will start to unfold πŸ™‚

I know they aren’t for everyone James, but personally I feel that high-tech space drugs are too good a gadget not to use. Especially in starport scum, since they can be designed to do almost anything!

I kind of assume drugs and stuff will be standard kit in the future.
    My RDF have implants that monitor stress and damage, and administer drugs to combat fatigue, clotting agents, stimulants, all sorts.

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I have written drugs into my upcoming escape from the Orbital Platform scenario. High tech armour should have some medical/trauma capabilities. I am just waiting to finish off my new space station tiles so I can have a much larger map. Should have them done by Friday.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Definitely! Space drugs for everyone πŸ˜‰

I’m waiting impatiently for the escape of Rhoro & Co!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Doing a quick inventory of my unaffiliated guards, thugs goons etc. I saw I needed a few extra, and so this happened..

The whole lot. Maybe not a shipload, but quite a few nontheless.

A similar look through the terrain boxes told me I needed a few more of everthing in that category, so I started with a few more natural features and a few stand-alone structures, since I wanted to paint up some of my new toys from Sayiner micro toys πŸ™‚

I’ve just finished painting up a number of characters for my Starport Scum games as well, but I’ll do a similar thing to the CoTF campaign and make a separate blog post for all relevant heroes and villians, to make it easier to follow. I hope to have it up tomorrow, with the first game set to follow quickly therafter!

A few more pics are on the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/07/a-shipload-of-goons-and-few-more-pieces.html

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

What kind of plaster did you use for the prefab? I have some cheap plaster of paris that I was going to experiment with.

I love the miniatures. It will be interesting to see what new characters you have come up with. Will Clarke be making any form of return?

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I use a sort called “stone” plaster, it’s a bit heavier than regular plaster of paris but not as dense as dental plaster. Hope that helps πŸ™‚

Thanks, I hope that this bunch becomes as interesting as Clarke & co. I haven’t made up my mind as of yet, but I imagine he might make a cameo of some sort at the very least πŸ˜‰

Will Clarke be making any form of return?

Maybe as an NPC!!

Sorry for not replying sooner, been having technical issues.
    Glad to see it coming along!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

In anticipation for the campaign, I made a separate post for all the characters, be they Hero, Villian or something else entirely.

The whole group.

Vic

CC

Kai

Graham

Bella

Hannibal

Zak

I wrote up the game stats and a piece of background for all characters, it’s a bit long to re-post all of it, but it’s all in the post on the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/07/heroes-villians-and-others-of-note.html

Hope you like it!

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I love the tough guy trait, allowing him more survivability before getting into close combat. I can’t help but be excited that I have that same trait.

Your villains being “heroes” makes it more interesting, as I found in my third game…with the demise of Jarek. I will be building more villains who are “heroes” as the story progresses.

Zak…do you not fear that he might break your games? He seems pretty powerful, and a 3D6 saving roll for armour just seems very powerful, especially as he needs 3 hits to go down. Goons will basically not be able to touch him. I would not want to meet him in a dark alley.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I’ll admit I saw the trait when you posted your first adventure, and it was perfect for what I intended, so thanks for that πŸ™‚

I think that those games will be interesting, since it will be a bit more even, but we’ll see πŸ™‚

I don’t think it will be a problem, he’s supposed to show up in a place or two, but he won’t be fighting goons for the most part. All I’ll tell you right now is that he’s that hard for a reason πŸ˜‰

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Looking at my cast, it seems I made them entirely with combat in mind. Luckily they only have two traits each, so I can add a final non combat trait to round them out as individuals.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing, it’s more pure in purpose. I just know I want to be able to play around with some terminals, doors etc. so non-combat skills are a good fit for the story I want to be able to tell. It’s all about what you expect to be able to do I think.

But as you say, having a slot “free” as it were, you can make some fitting additions πŸ˜‰

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Looking at my characters last night I am not sure about them. If they come up against something that needs subtlety they are screwed. I might need to add another member of the team.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Well, there are a number of optionsthe wat I see it: You can give some new traits to the group if you can justify it to yourself within the confines of the back-story you’ve made for them.
    Given the background of Rhoro and Flint, isn’t it possible that they both picked up some skills in the Corp, or even afterward, that haven’t been needed as of yet? Since you haven’t mentioned what he did in the military, or as a smuggler, maybe he is the sneakier one of the two, while Flint might know his way around a electronic system or two courtesy of Unity training? Just a suggestion if you’d like to keep the team as is, but be able to diversify a bit πŸ™‚

Otherwise..

..Considering the wealth of resourceful individuals that can be found on the fringe I’d wager there is some sneaky intrusion expert, former unity agent or just plain thief that could be persuaded to help the team with a less direct approach.

It just comes down to what sort of missions/adventures you want to be able to send them on. For the last one I did for example, I just used the standard task rules for sneaking, rolling opposed rolls if they ever entered LoS of the guards. As long as Vic & co rolled more successes than the guards trying to spot them, they remained hidden, but they had to start and finish the move in cover, which is also why they were discovered so quickly..

Just some food for thought, with Starport Scum it doesn’t appear, to me at least, to be wrong answers, only different ways to solve a problem πŸ™‚

Bio-net-ware.

In the future with everything being online you could conceivably download skill packages as you need them.
    Maybe keep a skill slot open and whenever you need to do something, make a roll to determine if that needed skill can be downloaded and accessed?
    In cities the roll could be easy (lots of wireless connectivity) in the rural backwaters, it could be much harder.

That could also give reason why in backwater worlds there is still the need to hire people, in cities you can go solo and download whatever you need as you need it.

My thoughts anyway…

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

That’s a nifty idea, not bad at all πŸ™‚

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.