Home Forums Renaissance Tudor English for Lion Rampant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    OB
    Participant

Here’s my full Tudor Retinue for Lion Rampant 1513.   I very much enjoyed putting this bunch together most of them are conversions using Green Stuff.   The last unit to be completed were the King’s Spears below.

There are more pics and some thoughts about mounted archers if you click the link.

https://uiduach.blogspot.co.uk/

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by OB.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Very, very nice:)

willz
    Participant

Beautiful stuff, cheers for sharing.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Brilliant! Love the conversions!

Not sure about the mounted archers.

I take it the Lion Rampant Mounted Yeoman class with bow doesn’t cover what you want?  I confess I’m not sure what they represent.

I am aware of Mike Loades shooting a longbow on horseback video but I remain to be convinced of their use in that role in the vast majority of battles.

My impression of mounted longbow is mounted infantry that ride to battle but don’t use their mounts after that in the action.

Let us know how your experiment works out (and piccies of the chaps themselves when ready p lease!)

Graham Harrison
    Participant

A lovely army!

OB
    Participant

Thank you very much fellows, I’m pleased you like them.

I’m not sure about the mounted archers either Guy, I might be on a wild goose chase.  Here’s my thinking so far. 

Both sides had them, they had horses and bows and dismounted to use them.  The French ones were well on their way to becoming the equivalent of the English Demi-Lancer.  The English ones simply don’t survive the introduction of firearms.  In the old days the drill was as you say, ride up, dismount and fight your bit of the battle.  The horses going off to the baggage.

Which brings us to Lion Rampant which is not intended as a big battle rule set.  There isn’t a camp or baggage train to send the horses off to.  So I wondered just how mounted infantry archers would operate at a Lion Rampant level.  The Mounted Yeoman category seems to be intended for skirmishing bow armed light horse like Turcomen or some Mongols.  Our lads don’t do that so I looked to a compromise.  Two things were uppermost in my mind.  Firstly the lads would not be willing to lose their horses and secondly a unit of very mobile fast shooting archers with powerful bows would be a sort of super troop and would unbalance the game.  To avoid that I will have them effectively shooting at half strength as the other half are securing the horses.

I may be over complicating things but there’s nothing like trying stuff out on the tabletop to find out.   There will be pics!

OB

Roger Calderbank
    Participant

Yes, very nice figures indeed.

I understand your thinking about mounted archers. I see that The Pikeman’s Lament treats dragoons as similar to mounted yeomen, so isn;t a help with you want. It will be interesting to see if 6 dice for shooting works, or just makes them ineffective. One other possibility is to introduce a dismount/mount action (7+?). That would limit by delay the unit’s ability to switch between shooting well and moving rapidly. Also, if they have 6 dice to shoot, but 12 to melee, they are pretty good cavalry, perhaps better than you have described them to be. You could say that they shoot/melee with 3 fewer figures than are present, so are at half strength after losing 3 figures. You then have a unit which starts well but rapidly decreases in effectiveness when it has suffered a few casualties.

It is one of the (many) good things about Lion Rampant that it is easy to tweak unit characteristics to get what you think is right.

RogerC

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I’m glad I didn’t ramble on about options (I’m prone to!).

You’ve covered more or less anything I might have said.

My only thought would have reduced them to Other Mounted for movement but as you want to differentiate them from the French, I won’t suggest that!

Looking forward to the first clash.

OB
    Participant

Rambling about options often takes us somewhere good so don’t hold back.  First clash should be this weekend with a bit of luck.

Solid observations Roger, thanks.  I especially like the dismount/mount at 7+.  I like the rest of it too.  I’ll try it out and see how it plays.

OB

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.