Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Tuesday Tussle – Gaslands AAR

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ruarigh Ruarigh 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

I played a game! First time I’ve played a figures game in a while. Anyhoo, my mate Steve came over and we set to with Gaslands and had quite the riot. We played nominally in 15mm, although I think that Steve’s cars were actually 1/76 scale, but that’s close enough for rock and roll. We each had 50 cans to build our vehicles and we played a basic game with none of the advanced rules. There’s a full write-up over on the Ooh Shiny Complex with more and larger pictures, but here’s a summary of the action.

The scenario we rolled was the Death Race. We had to negotiate a figure-8 course moving through the gates sequentially. The course was in the badlands of Bwendi and held a number of natural obstacle, as well as the usual monument to Colonel Throckmorton P. Gladiolus I that is found in every Bwendi establishment. Guns only became active after a vehicle crossed Gate 1, so it should have been a race to the first gate. I had two performance cars with machine guns, one of which had a mine dropper and nitrous injection. Steve had two normal cars with machine guns, and a trike.

It didn’t work out like that though. Having gained pole position, I noted that Steve had decided to place his trike at the front of the grid. What could I do? I mean, seriously, what would you have done? Of course I took off as fast as I could to try to run the trike over. It was the only logical decision. Chaos ensued on the start grid, and

When the dust cleared, the trike was a pile of twisted metal. In the process, Steve rammed my black car with one of his cars and nearly totalled it. Steve’s other car swerved into the wall for no good reason and my purple car had done the first of many slides and spins that characterised its performance throughout the game. We then raced off for the first gate.

Through the first gate, there was a brief firefight that left my black car a wreck, but both of Steve’s cars were now quite badly damaged. My purple car hit the nitrous and stormed away from the pack, spinning into the second gate and dropping some mines there. It then hit the gas even harder and raced for the third gate with Steve’s cars lagging well behind.

The mines took out one of Steve’s cars as it passed through the second gate, while the other car tagged the gate and headed towards the finish line to try to head me off instead of racing for the next gate. Realistically, it was Steve’s only chance to stop me winning. He needed to take my car out as fast he could.

Sadly for Steve, his car just did not have the oomph. I drove more safely than I had throughout the game and took the finish line in fourth gear to win the race for the glory of all Bwendi people everywhere. The Albion Car and Motor Engineers Corporation had been humiliated once more.

We really enjoyed playing Gaslands, and mostly got the rules right. The game did not play as quickly as we thought it would, but I suspect that it will speed up a lot now that we have played it. One area where our game could be speeded up is having the Skid dice chart on the quick reference sheet. We kept having to look it up in the rule book, because neither of us has bought the skid dice with the appropriate markings on them. I suppose we could buy the dice, but I don’t really see the point when we are more likely to play Gaslands as an occasional interlude than as a long-term campaign. The same applies to the templates. You can buy some lovely perspex templates in a range of happy colours, but I don’t see the point unless we are going to focus on the game for a campaign. I’m happy enough with the templates I made from mountboard, although I did curse a bit at having to cut curved templates out.

Overall, Gaslands was great fun, and I look forward to playing again using the advanced rules. I played Car Wars to bits way back when, and I would love to play it more now, but I have found that the turn sequence makes the game a little laboured. Gaslands goes a long way towards providing a faster Car Wars-style game. The main thing I miss is the detailed design sequence that Car Wars had. I used to absolutely love designing Car Wars cars. It would also be nice if Gaslands offered a campaign where drivers can gain experience and improve until they inevitably misjudge a turn and crash, roll and burn.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/whats-on/vikings.html
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sounds like a fun one!  I have been tempted by this game, especially since my bud that used to run our Car Wars games passed.  No one could replace him at it, as he knew every nook and cranny of all things CW.  THWs Machinas is cool, but just not the same as going full-track attack!  Thanks for posting!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

If you don’t mind making your own templates, and checking a table for the skid dice instead of using the custom ones, I think it’s worth dropping some cash on the rules. It has a bit of a Car Wars vibe to it, and it’s a great excuse to go shopping for Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. I love that the entry level for this game is so cheap.

I never really got on with Machinas. I love a lot of the THW rules, but that one did not appeal as much as I would have liked.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/whats-on/vikings.html
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.