Home Forums General General Turn time

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Deleted User

I play the occasional game of chess. One of my pals has a chess clock (the Geek!) & we sometimes use it: 2 minutes between turns. It adds a dimension to the game.

I was thinking about the time between wargame turns. Obviously, no one is quite anal enough to use a clock but is slow play ever a problem? How do you address it?

My “problem” is I mostly *don’t* use any time between turns: leaping into moving my figures as soon as my opponent finishes. Indeed, half baked plans, ill-considered responses & missed opportunities are the result of too little contemplation. What amount of time do you spend between turns? How do you manage it?

donald

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Don’t remember it being a massive problem. Occasionally I have played games where someone (sometimes me!) is caught between two or more choices and can’t decide but very rarely has this led to more than a polite ‘get on with it!’ from anyone (me included).

I have played games where part of the exercise was time pressure so responses (these games sometimes did not involve figures, or moving them yourself) had to be made within a specific time and failure meant the end of the turn. They worked but they removed the casual ludic air and replaced it with something probably more exhilarating but less relaxing.

The figure games where this approach was used were of the IGOUGO sort and the time restraints on figure movement easy to implement. The interleaved nature of many rules now would make that impossible I think as swapping initiatives, movement interleaved with responses and combat by unit mix so many imponderables into one interaction.

Umpires are good to move things on, whether in a formalised way as above or just a ‘friendly’ reminder that units can lose morale with dithering commanders. (more difficult to get hold of than chess clocks though).

Norm S
    Participant

I play faster than my opponent. As he mulls over his turn, I have usually decided upon what dashing moves I be performing in my go … for good or for bad!

I doubt it would be a good idea to set firm times for play as different play styles are what they are and we seem to have a 50 / 50 win ratio, so who can say that any one play style is ‘more right’ than the other.

During my down time, I admire the game and try to use my Harry Potter magic powers to make him roll badly 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Norm S.
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The only game which could be categorised as (more or less) a miniatures game that I’ve experienced this problem with is Blood Bowl. I found that the board game-like format of Blood Bowl could draw this out in players; Once gameplay comes down to a set of discrete options based on a grid of squares, tactics become mathematics and some players can need a long time to think through the various possible discrete outcomes of those discrete options. With a time limit the game just comes down to who’s better/faster at thinking of tactics in terms of sheer mathematics, which isn’t why I’m into the miniatures gaming hobby at all. I’ve never experienced these particular problems with other miniatures games, ones that use “freeform” measuring in place of grids. They seem to encourage a more jovial mood where players roleplay their sides/factions instead of fretting the math.

I’ve toyed with the idea of hex-based miniatures games recently, but if I take that plunge I might only play them solo, so as not to have them become games of “competitive mathematics”.

I play some boardgames as well (not chess, though), and with some of the grand strategic “territorial conquest” type games like Axis & Allies, an overslow pace of gameplay due to dithering players can be a very major problem. I strongly dislike Axis & Allies for that precise reason, and only play it on occasion because some friends are into it despite all its flaws. The best boardgames of this category, like Shogun (the one by Dirk Henn), mitigate this by implementing a planning phase in which players make their plans and issue their secret orders simultaneously. Orders are not revealed or carried out until the action phase, during which there isn’t much planning left for the players to have to do. It makes for a much more pleasant game, but again, this is only a boardgame issue to me, not a miniatures game one.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Mr. Average
    Participant

A better solution to this is in the old, original Space Hulk boardgame, where you had time to decide and make your moves based on the commanders you had on the board.  I seem to recall that each sergeant bought you an extra 30 seconds, a Lieutenant bought you a minute, and a Captain bought you a minute and a half.  Something like that might be interesting in another game context.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.