Home Forums General General Twitter hashtag for wargaming

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Russell PhillipsRussell Phillips
    Participant

I’m slightly surprised that Henry hasn’t posted about this himself, but since he hasn’t, he posted this tweet yesterday:

It seems to me that miniatures wargaming needs its own hashtag that isn’t confused with other wargames or miniature things: #minwargames

It’s intended to be genre-neutral, but having a hashtag that is in general use by wargamers will make it easier to find wargamers to follow on Twitter, and tweets about wargaming.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Russell PhillipsRussell Phillips. Reason: Fixing formatting

Military history author

willzwillz
    Participant

Really? life is that long?

SamanthaSamantha
    Keymaster

I think this is fab as I really struggle to get us marketed to the right crowd on Twitter. #minwargames all the way.

Never put a sock in a toaster.

Luddite
    Participant

Disagree completely. Many of us don’t call them miniatures. We call them models.

What is Twitter anyway ?

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Disagree completely. Many of us don’t call them miniatures. We call them models.
    What is Twitter anyway ?

You disagree with the suggestion for Twitter and admit you don’t know what Twitter is?

Participant

You disagree with the suggestion for Twitter and admit you don’t know what Twitter is?

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that was a bit odd.

To answer the question, Twitter is a social network, which allows users to post status updates up to 140 characters long.

Military history author

Luddite
    Participant

I know what Twitter is, poor attempt at humour.  I clicked on Russell’s link to Henry’s tweet and immediately realised why I don’t go there. It’s like watching the stream of conciousness and “Ooh-shiny” thought processes of my teenage daughter.

My point is: why should we change the definition of our hobby just to pander to a new form of social interaction that not eveybody uses ?

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

My point is: why should we change the definition of our hobby just to pander to a new form of social interaction that not eveybody uses ?

Nobody is saying that.
    A # is not a definition of anything.

However, seeing as you mentioned it…

What is the definition of our hobby?
    And what exactly is our hobby?

Wargames, Boardgames, Modelling, Online Games?

Participant

As Angel Barracks said, a hashtag is not a definition. It’s simply a convenient term to group related tweets. The meaning needs to be obvious to its intended audience, and (ideally) it shouldn’t already be in use for something else. I believe #minwargames fulfils both those criteria.

If you’re bothered about people trying to change the definition of the hobby by referring to “miniatures” instead of “models”, I’d suggest that the existence of a magazine called “Miniature Wargames” should be a greater concern.

Military history author

TwoGunBobTwoGunBob
    Participant

It’s really a matter of getting everyone on the same page with it so that it becomes a common term to tie the twitter thing together. Twitter does seem a little scatterbrained and thoughts are too quickly lost for me to find engaging discourse. Many social media sites are taking the places of forums as well. Google+ and facebook dividing and conquering as it were. I still prefer forums to ‘likes’ and +1’s however.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Many social media sites are taking the places of forums as well. Google+ and facebook dividing and conquering as it were. I still prefer forums to ‘likes’ and +1’s however.

Me too.
    FB and Twitter are good for sharing information as is G+.
    However I find forums to be better for discussing information.
    They are more geared toward conversation and longevity.

willzwillz
    Participant

Sorry confused what are you all talking about, please help.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Twitter users can assign a hashtag to their tweets making them easy to search.

So I could assign #TWW to my tweets, then people could search on Twitter for #TWW and find all my Tweets, and indeed any Tweets that have been given the #TWW hashtag.

The hobby we all enjoy, has no official hashtag.
    After all, we have no official governing body so agreeing a hashtag would be tricky.

Henry Hyde is proposing we use the hashtag #minwargames whenever we Tweet about gaming things.
    That way it will be easy to find/set up alerts for Tweets that are about wargames.

It is just a label to add to Tweets to make them easy to find.

willzwillz
    Participant

Ah ha understand more now, should just ask my granddaughter she would know.

“Official governing body” and “war-gaming” in one post Mike that’s brave.

TwoGunBobTwoGunBob
    Participant

It mostly about a few people accepting use of the term and beginning to use it and either it catches on with the twitter wargames or fizzles and dies. One person using a certain hashtag doesn’t have much ripple effect, twenty or so and the pond ripples a bit more and people catch it and aso use it and it casts a wider net for those interested. So to speak anyways.

Luddite
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wg Cdr Luddite wrote:</div>

Nobody is saying that. A # is not a definition of anything. However, seeing as you mentioned it… What is the definition of our hobby? And what exactly is our hobby? Wargames, Boardgames, Modelling, Online Games?

Thanks for asking. I like definitions, they’re better than randomness and anarchy.

My hobby is wargaming; primarily  historical but I’m not averse to sci-fi and fantasy.

Not boardgaming.

Not the GW hobby.

Not scale modelling.

Not computer gaming.

Does that help Mike ?

Henry Hyde
    Participant

Well, that’ll teach me to go away on holiday! (That and the 400+ emails in my inbox…)

Thanks for taking an interest guys, and this topic is also addressed in issue 379 of the magazine which is published this week. With luck, because of the way I’ve presented it there, more people will grasp what I’m getting at with this proposal for the #minwargames hashtag.

It simply occurred to me that there was no single, consistent hashtag associated with our hobby (however you choose to define that hobby) and some, such as #warmongers, I find positively distasteful – fine for those of us on the inside who get the joke, but a nightmare in terms of PR for the hobby. And again, you might not care about the way the outside world perceives our pastime, but I do, and when your monthly efforts are paraded in the high street, it makes a difference.

That’s why, after spending some considerable time hunting around for alternatives, #minwargames seems to provide the least ambiguous and most neutral hashtag for the hobby. I’m nothing special, I can’t ‘make’ it happen, and it will require the cooperation of as many wargamers as possible who use Twitter to make it meaningful. If, as TwoGunBob says, nobody uses it, it will just have been a waste of my time, nothing more — but it’s my time to waste, and I feel it’s worth having a go.

Clearly, if you don’t use Twitter, this is all gobbledegook — but then again, it won’t affect you anyway, will it?

Editor, Battlegames
    http://battlegames.co.uk
    Battlegames on Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/battlegames
    Author, The Wargaming Compendium
    http://amzn.to/leWoNO

Luddite
    Participant

. Clearly, if you don’t use Twitter, this is all gobbledegook — but then again, it won’t affect you anyway, will it?

Potentially, yes.

You and I are the same generation Henry. but you earn your living from the media (a mogul ?) so I fully understand why you use Twitter and Facebook.

My concern is that for those of us who don’t there will come a point where information flows freely around the new media at the expense of the conventional. Books, magazines, blogs and forums like this may eventually suffer and the hobby will diverge from people like me.

Henry Hyde
    Participant

No danger of that on my watch.

I see media like Twitter and Facebook adding to, not detracting from, what we have already. And you should know by now that my heart is made of paper! 

Mogul? I wish!

Editor, Battlegames
    http://battlegames.co.uk
    Battlegames on Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/battlegames
    Author, The Wargaming Compendium
    http://amzn.to/leWoNO

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.