Home Forums Modern Two Brothers in Vietnam

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Author

He didn’t even reload once. Hollywood could make a movie out of this.

Participant

Darby – Indeed, the dice have truly been on his side, and at this point I’m really nervous, really hoping old Rob Little is going to be around for awhile.

Thomaston – Meh, I don’t play the type of rules where I’m tracking each round fired, so magazine changes aren’t really a part of the game, they’re just assumed to be happening as appropriate.  Still waiting on the call from Hollywood 😉

V/R,

Jack

In a way I’m disappointed Little improved so much. I liked him when he was useless, like the platoon’s comic relief.

Participant

Not me, I’d always hoped he’d have been the solid squad leader, wouldn’t have even brought in Sergeant Garcia if he had been.  Just those first few games the dice were completely against him.  Now the worm has turned 😉

V/R,

Jack

Participant

All,

1600 Local Time
    5 March 1966
    Near Hill 50, Quang Ngai Province, RVN
    Operation Utah

The boys had accompanied Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines (L/3/1) in the final assault to secure Hill 50, and now they were attached to Mike Company, which was attacking the fortified village of Chau Nhai (3), which lies just east of Hill 50, from west to east, while India Company had swung around to the north and were attacking from east to west.

The boys’ platoon was attacking on the far left flank of Lima Company, with the boy’s squad on the far left flank of their platoon, on the left end of a line running north-south. “Our job is to break into the northwest end of the village, securing a foothold, as the rest of the platoon swings in from the front. We’ll be tying down their left flank, making sure the NVA can’t filter in behind them as they push east to clear the rest of the village,” Corporal Little briefed the squad. “So, what, Corporal, the seven of us are gonna assault the village, all by ourselves?” Jackson asked. “No Jackson, we’re gonna have all of Lima Company out there with us assaulting the village. They just won’t be anywhere you can see them. But trust me, they’re there,” Corporal Little replied, as the squad busted into nervous laughter. “Let’s go, Marines.”

Overview, north is up. You can see the far eastern end of Hill 50 at bottom left, and the northwestern end of the fortified village of Chau Nhai (3) at bottom/far right. Air and arty has worked the area over, leaving a significant number of craters dotting the landscape, which is otherwise covered with hedges and rice paddies. The squad is approaching from the northwest (top left), seeking to get as close to the village as possible before the shooting starts.

The Marines have entered the area at top left, while the NVA occupy the village, from bottom center to far right. The most important aspect to this is that the enemy has a bunker on each flank (right bottom center and far right top. Each bunker has a rifleman posted outside it for flank protection, while the NVA leader and last rifleman occupy the trenchline connecting the two bunkers.

The squad is beat to hell, down to seven combat effectives, including the Doc! Corporal Little is very concerned with this mission, knowing it’s going to take everything the squad’s got if the enemy puts up even light resistance in this area of the village.

Right on time, the Marine 81mm mortars came in on Chau Nhai (3), hitting the center and east end of the NVA defensive line.

Jackson, Nik, McCaffrey, and Doc Johnson (top left) look on as Danny, Rivera, and Corporal Little begin traipsing across the rice paddies…

The NVA have sucked the Marines in, allowing the assault element to advance out into the open rice paddies, devoid of cover, when the two NVA riflemen in the West Bunker (bottom right) finally breaks the tension: 7.62mm rounds snap and zip past the exposed Marines, plowing into the paddies, kicking up geysers of dirty water. Luckily for the Marines, non one is hit, but Danny (right) and Rivera (center) are suppressed, as Cpl Little (left) is pinned!

And the East Bunker (bottom right) immediately joins in, spraying with their AK-47s on full auto at the advancing Marines (top left to top center).

Corporal Little (bottom right) and Doc Johnson (bottom center right) are both suppressed by the fire from the East Bunker (top right); “@#$%!!!” screams Nik (bottom left), “return fire, return fire! I don’t have a shot at that bunker on the right (the West Bunker, just off camera to far right), hit it with the thumper!” Nik ordered McCaffrey, as he poured tracers from his M-60 into the East Bunker. “Roger that!” replied McCaffrey, as he fired a 40mm HE round.

“Jackson, get on the horn and let’em know we need help, they’re pinned down and dead meat out there in those rice paddies,” Nik continued. “Already on it, boss!” Jackson replied.

Back in the rice paddies, Cpl Little (bottom left), Rivera (left), and Danny (top center) are in Death Ground, with no way out but to fight, so all three open fire on the West Bunker (top right) with their M-14s on full auto…

Danny crawls up the firing port of the NVA’s West Bunker. He rolls onto his side, fishing a frag out of his pocket, then sweeps the safety clip off, pulls the pin, lets the spoon fly, and begins cooking off the grenade…

But the NVA rifleman in the trench (top right) spots him and fires, hitting Danny (casualty figure at far left) in the back, though he still manages to roll the frag into the West Bunker, then flops backwards, away from the firing port, as the grenade goes off, killing the NVA inside!

To see the thrilling finish of Operation Utah, which would see a Medal of Honor awarded, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-brothers-fight-17.html

Next fight coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Sorry, I have not been keeping up with this, Jack. My grief and depression have been getting the better of me.

Participant

Sorry, I have not been keeping up with this, Jack. My grief and depression have been getting the better of me.

I’m out of the loop here, Kyote. Grief? I can figure depression, considering the state of the world… Hope you come around, friend.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

I lost my Lady Joyce on Jan, 11th due to a Spinal Infection.  It’s kinda gotten to me.

Participant

Come on man, I know things are rough, but you’ve got to hang in there and seek out the good stuff, get over there with that little granddaughter of yours.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Kyote, if you want to write me, I have been through some stuff in my time.

Participant

Thanks, guys, and Jack she ain’t so little anymore 14 in May!!! vtsaogames .

Participant

Got it, will write soon.

Participant

Jack, I’ve been following this on TMP but the close ups you posted of the Flashpoint minis here are excellent! Great brushwork on those.

Can I ask….. where are the 15mm huts from?

-Todd

Fields of Fire:Reloaded - The Online Community for Vietnam Wargaming

Participant

More great stuff Jack, thanks for posting.  And a very well deserved decoration!  Did you have to use any of the “can’t die” protocols for the heroes or is that just how the dice fell?

Participant

Bravo 6 – Thanks, and the hootches are also from Jimmi at Flashpoint Miniatures.

John – Thank you. I didn’t cheat for Doc, he was just lucky to survive all those dice rolls, but I did have to cheat for Nikki.  As I recall, the die roll for his wound turned out worse than I portrayed, but I assigned it to Danny as I figured it made more sense, particularly as Danny’s roll wasn’t so bad.  So essentially I just swapped wounds between the two boys because I thought it made more sense that Danny was out of the fight and Nikki was able to get back into the fight.

V/R,

Jack

Participant

Got you, that makes quite a lot of sense in the context of this campaign.

Participant

“…that makes quite a lot of sense in the context of this campaign.”
    If you say so 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

1045 Local Time
    19 June 1966
    5 Miles North of Phu Bai Combat Base, Thua Thien Province, RVN
    Operation Dodge

Nikki and Danny were having a rough time, their first time back out in the field after being hit during Operation Utah, their bodies weak after their extended recuperation period. But here they were again, humping the bush for the past two days after having trucked up north of Phu Bai from Da Nang. Attached to 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (2/4), the whole battalion had been scouring the area of operations without even a hint of the enemy, but that was all about to change. 2/4 was approaching a cluster of hamlets along the coast (dammit, I was supposed to use my beach mat, with dunes, but I was in a hurry and forgot!) and began fanning out to try and get in as quickly as possible, hoping to catch the Viet Cong before they’d made their escape. But the VC were crafty, had long played this game along the “Street Without Joy,” and were already evacuating, leaving behind only a handful of fighters to harass the advancing Marines. And, or course, the squad was about to run into one such group of stay behinds.

Sergeant Little called a halt and motioned for his fireteam leaders to join him, briefing them on the situation. “So the El-tee wants us to split off to the northeast, so we are on the far left, there are no friendlies to our left. As usual, battalion wants us to rush in to catch Charlie before he dee-dees* outta the area, but we all know how that goes, so let’s stay frosty and take our time on this.” “Roger,” replied Corporal Nelson. Sgt Little gave Cpl Nelson a furtive glance and murmured “I’m sorry brother, if there was anything I could do, I would…” “I know, Rob, and it’s okay. Don’t you jokers sweat me, I’m two days and a wake-up, I’ll be back in the World in no time,” replied Cpl Nelson. “No, it ain’t alright,” Nik erupted, “I can’t believe battalion’s got Rock out here humpin’ with only days left in country! This is bull@#$%!!!” “Alright, alright, calm down, and get your @#$% together, we got a job to do, now move out!”

*”Dee-dees” is a bastardization of “di-di mau,” which is Vietnamese for ‘leave,’ or something to that effect.

Overview, north is up. The area is nice and flat, the river running from northwest (top left) to southeast (bottom right), with small villages dotting the area (top left, bottom left, top right, and far right), a hardball road running north-south west of the river (left), rice paddies dominating the north and northeast, and heavy foliage scattered throughout.

The initial set up: Sgt Little and Nik’s 3rd Fireteam search a ville (bottom center) as Cpl Nelson’s 1st Fireteam (bottom right) and Danny’s 2nd Fireteam (left center) pull security.

The Marines warily cross the river.

Where they set about searching the next hamlet.

Nik (far right) takes a puff on his cigarette and tosses another stone at Danny (left) as 1st Fireteam completes its search an steps off (top left) for the next village.

But the enemy is out there and about to act…

And the VC (bottom center right) trigger the ambush, cutting loose with a long burst from the RPD at Cpl Nelson’s 1st Fireteam (top left, with Danny’s 2nd Fireteam at top right)!

Once again things get bleak for the beleaguered Marines.

To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-brothers-fight-18.html

Next fight coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

That was a nice explosion Nelson made with the frag grenade.
    When ever you say B-40 I keep expecting a whole salvo of hurt thinking its one of those Russian BM series multiple launcher.

Participant

I was just happy Nelson got out of there alive! And nah, just the ‘regular’ old RPG, the squad wouldn’t be much for a volley of (on target) katyushas…

V/R,

Jack

Participant

All,

1230 Local Time
    15 July 1966
    Ngan Valley, Quang Tri Province, RVN
    Operation Hastings

This morning Marine A-4 Skyhawks and F-4 Phantoms pounded LZ Crowe, followed by an artillery barrage, before the CH-46s carrying 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (3/4) descended into the valley and began disgorging their heavily-laden Marines. The LZ was too small and quickly three Marine helos were down, badly damaged; two collided, and the third hit a tree while trying to avoid the other two. Even worse, the incidents left two Marines dead and seven more injured, all before the enemy had even fired a shot.

Nevertheless, 3/4 formed up and began setting about its tasks: India Company was charged with holding the LZ’s perimeter, while Lima Company marched off to occupy a nearby hill, Hill 200, which it took after some light skirmishing. Meanwhile, the boys set off with Kilo Company, which was charged with moving south to cross the Ngan River and establish blocking positions for 2/4, which was being lifted into LZ Dove a few klicks to the east and was scheduled to sweep west, into K/3/4 and Hill 200. As Kilo Company moved south there was a brief firefight as they encountered some lightly-armed North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars performing a rearguard action; when the dust cleared the Marines were hardly prepared for what they found: a building containing a 200-bed hospital, and an ammunition dump containing 1200 rounds of small arms ammunition. “Hold up,” Nik begged. “How the hell did they get all this stuff down from North Vietnam, and how’s it just sitting here, unmolested, like they’re not in somebody else’s country? And how many of them must be out there right now if they’re comfortable enough to build permanent-ass buildings up here?”

The Marines destroyed all they found and then continued their trek south towards the river. Kilo Company halted and sent out scouts locate a river crossing, and that’s where the squad ran into trouble.

Overview, north is to bottom left. This is my first attempted rendition of the geography up near the DMZ; lots of hills, cuts, saddles, ravines, heavy forest in the draws, small, shallow rivers, with clumps of bush clinging to the hillsides/hilltops. It’s hard to see here, but there are significant elevations in all four corners of the table, with forested draws at left, top center, right, and bottom center.

The hills are: Hill 110 at top left, Hill 155 at top right, Hill 142 at bottom right, and Hill 160 at bottom left. The Marines are clustered on the hill in the north (Hill 160, bottom left), while the NVA are clustered on the hill to the south (Hill 155, top right), across the river, though they have pushed a squad north across the river (in the trees at far right bottom, near Hill 142).

A look south from the Marine Command Element’s position on Hill 160. You can see the MG Team at far let, the fireteams in column moving down the hill and up to the river at right, and even some NVA on the far hill, Hill 155.

As the sound of small arms fire reverberates throughout the valley! The NVA squad near the river crossing (bottom right) opens fire at point-blank range on Nik’s 3rd Fireteam (top left)!

And then a rocket comes screaming in from the west!

Sergeant Little (bottom left) tries to assert control: he gets Jackson on the radio to call for support and directs Doc Eakle to move downhill to help 3rd Fireteam’s casualties as he fires on Hill 155 with his M-14 and McCaffrey fires his M-79…

The NVA at the base of Hill 155 (left) rally as their MG Team (bottom left) continues dueling with the US MG Team (top right)…

A fierce fight breaks out at point-blank range ont he Marine right, atop Hill 142, trying to drive back the encroaching NVA squad in order to keep 3rd Fireteam (at the river, just off camera to top center) from being overrun.

To see how the fight turns out, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/04/two-brothers-fight-19.html

More to come.

V/R,
    Jack

Is it me or KR-16 bloodier than 5Core? Which did you prefer?
    No CH-46 in sight, Phrog needs love.

Participant

Zoe,
    “Is it me or KR-16 bloodier than 5Core?”
    I agree, and I was a bit shocked at how many guys went down so quickly, even in cover.  Having said that, it’s my fault, as I’ve changed that aspect of the rules.

“Which did you prefer?”
    I prefer 5MAK for squad/skirmish, I typically prefer 5Core Company Command for company-level, but my bugbear has been platoon-level rules, where I just can’t seem to find something I love.  I could just use 5Core Company Command and call stands fireteams rather than squads, but I do actually like to play different rules sometimes, so I beefed the squad up some and gave KR-16 a runout for this operation.

“No CH-46 in sight, Phrog needs love.”
    I received a 1/100 CH-34 not long ago, have assembled and primed it, and I plan on getting a couple CH-46s.  I spent plenty of time crammed into various Phrogs, definitely not my favorite airplane.  Having said that, I’m still alive, so…

V/R,
    Jack

Now you got me curious. What did you change in the rules?

Ever get to ride in those V-22s?

Zoe is fine I guess,but its also the name of my imaginary ex-girlfriend.

Participant

“Now you got me curious. What did you change in the rules?”

I don’t like the 1 hit = 1 suppression, next hit = 1 casualty but no suppression, so I split it, rolling to hit then having unsaved hits knocking a guy out and saved hits causing a suppression, which also means you can rack up more than one suppression, which you have to roll over for your activation roll, plus more suppressions than men means the team routes.

“Ever get to ride in those V-22s?”

Not while I was in the Corps, I got out in 2004 and they didn’t hit the fleet until 2007, but later, yes.

“Zoe is fine I guess,but its also the name of my imaginary ex-girlfriend.”

You had your chance…

V/R,

Jack

“I don’t like the 1 hit = 1 suppression, next hit = 1 casualty but no suppression, so I split it, rolling to hit then having unsaved hits knocking a guy out and saved hits causing a suppression, which also means you can rack up more than one suppression, which you have to roll over for your activation roll, plus more suppressions than men means the team routes.”
    I assumed it was the same as in original FUBAr rules where a hit can be either supressed or casualty. from what I remember playing it was an interesting trade, take some casualties and keep moving, or get pinned down and save some lives.

I saw a V-22 one time, very random. Happened to be looking up and there it was flying over head.

Participant

“I assumed it was the same as in original FUBAr rules where a hit can be either supressed or casualty.”

Nah, I’ve never played (or even read) FUBAR.

“from what I remember playing it was an interesting trade, take some casualties and keep moving, or get pinned down and save some lives.”

I’m too big a chicken to play games like that! Given the choice I’ll always pick pinned down and never get anything done.  So it went with Crossfire; I think Crossfire is a fantastic set of rules, but my father (a Vietnam vet) and I gave it a few tries and never got anything done, too afraid to push guys up and risk losing the initiative…

”I saw a V-22 one time, very random. Happened to be looking up and there it was flying over head.”

You have really got to work on your storytelling 😉

V/R,

Jack

I keep thinking Flames of War Vietnam would ave Ch-34 or CH-4 and I keep getting disapointed.

I saw a V-22 one time, very random. Happened to be looking up and there it was flying over head. “Ha! They found me”

Participant

“I keep thinking Flames of War Vietnam would ave Ch-34 or CH-4(6) and I keep getting disapointed.”

That would certainly make my life easier, but I too have been let down.

“I saw a V-22 one time, very random. Happened to be looking up and there it was flying over head. “Ha! They found me””

Getting warmer…

V/R,

Jack

Participant

All,

2015 Local Time
    15 July 1966
    Operation Hastings

The boys are with Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (K/3/4), on their first trip up to the DMZ. They were helo’ed into the area this morning, then found themselves in a sharp firefight trying to cross the Ngan River which saw them repulsed with two Marines badly wounded. The Company tried twice more to cross the river, but the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars of the 90th Regiment threw them back both times. Kilo Company then fell back approximately 200 meters to the north and dug in, but the NVA pursued them, harassing with mortars and snipers, and by 1930 Kilo’s commander reported to battalion that the company was entirely surrounded.

The squad is tasked with holding a section of the company’s perimeter on the northeast side of the hill, and it’s gonna be a long night…

Overview, north is up. The squad’s section of the hill is at bottom left, with its highest point in that corner and fingers jutting out to the north (far left) and east (bottom), a steep draw pushing into their center (the cluster of trees at center marks the point where the draw comes together and the hill begins rising to the southwest (bottom left). There’s nothing but trees, grass, and some scattered brush out here.

The Marines are set up thusly: Sergeant Little and his Command Element are in the center bunker, looking down into the draw (left bottom); Danny and the 2nd Fireteam are in reserve, not dug-in, just chilling behind a hedge further up the hill (bottom left), while Nik’s 3rd Fireteam is holding down the northern finger (far left) and Cpl Benavides’ 1st Fireteam is holding down the southern finger (bottom center). I didn’t put out Claymore or wire because 1) I’m stupid and 2) I wasn’t sure how to handle Claymores, afraid of making them too powerful.

The Marines are currently at 50% (half are sleeping, half are on watch), and they will have off-table arty support, subject to availability rolls.

The NVA are spread across the table from the northwest (top left) to southeast (bottom right), with rifle squads in their assault positions at top left, top center left, center, right bottom, and bottom right, while their mortar and MG teams are positioned atop the knoll at top right.

Another look a the Marine positions, giving you a better idea of the topography (the finger running to the north at far left, the steep draw at top center/right).

Another look to the north, from behind 2nd Fireteam’s reserve position. Nice and lumpy, starting to look like some real terrain 😉 Notice the fall off on the back side of the northern finger, far left.

The NVA cut loose with a B-40 rocket…

And the rocket slams into a bunker, pinning the Marines inside!

The NVA move up the slope of the north finger (left bottom), silencing the Marine machine gun and overunning Nik’s bunker! With the gun out of action the NVA immediately exploit the situation by rushing to the bunker and opening fire on Sergeant Little’s command bunker (top right, with 1st Fireteam’s bunker visible at top center).

https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/04/two-brothers-fight-20.html

More coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Those NVA vets should have rushed the Marines so they couldn’t use arty. Those Marines were taking a lot of casualties.

I don’t know who you like picking fights with more, the NVA or the Army.

Participant

Clementine,

“Those NVA vets should have rushed the Marines so they couldn’t use arty.”
    They did, pretty much overrunning both fighting holes! The arty was definitely ‘Danger Close,’ coming right in on the Marines’ line.

“Those Marines were taking a lot of casualties.”
    Certainly, and it just gets worse from here, just like what happened in real life.  I don’t think most folks understand the meat grinder the Marines endured with only 3rd Marine Division covering the entirety of the southern end of the DMZ (northern end of I Corps).

“I don’t know who you like picking fights with more, the NVA or the Army.”

Well, I don’t hate the NVA… 😉 Relax, it’s just a joke…

V/R,

Jack

Participant

All,

1500 Local Time
    16 July 1966
    Operation Hastings

The boys are with Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (K/3/4), on their first trip up to the DMZ. Yesterday they were helo’ed into the area, then found themselves in a sharp firefight trying to cross the Ngan River which saw them repulsed with two Marines badly wounded. The Company tried twice more to cross the river, but the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars of the 90th Regiment threw them back both times. Kilo Company then fell back approximately 200 meters to the north and dug in, but the NVA pursued them, harassing with mortars and snipers, and by 1930 Kilo’s commander reported to battalion that the company was entirely surrounded. At approximately 2015 the NVA launched a full-scale assault on Kilo Company’s hilltop, which the Marines threw back owing to some brutal close-in fighting buttressed by supporting fires, with both sides suffering significant casualties.

The Marines of Kilo Company pried themselves out of their holes with the sunrise, and were greeted with an NVA mortar barrage for their efforts. It didn’t last long and there were few casualties, so the rifle company got itself in order and not long after was back on the move, proving south towards the Ngan River. There was good news in that 2/4 had been told to hustle up and move west with all practical speed in order to effect a linkup with 3/4, owing to the tough resistance the Marines were running into, and radio traffic reported that 2/4 arrived at LZ Crowe* at approximately 1400. So there was a strong base behind Kilo Company, to the north, but it kind of left Kilo as the lone, dangling appendage to the south, still under orders to find and force a crossing to the south side of the Ngan River.

Needless to say the Marines were none too happy to be flung out so far to the south, without support, to an area they’d already gotten a good bloodying in, but order are orders, and so we catch up with Sergeant Little and his squad about to make another attempt to cross the Ngan River.

*With three helos already grounded there from damage caused by collisions, then the NVA shot down a Marine CH-46 yesterday evening, the LZ Crowe area was now being referred to as “Helicopter Valley.”

Overview, north is left, for my second big DMZ map. The western area (bottom) is pretty open and flat, a couple spare trees and scrub, the Ngan River is narrow and shallow and flowing in a southwest to easterly direction, but the big deals are the two hills, the massive Hill 212 dominating the north (left to top left) and Hill 104 on the south bank, in the southeast (top right).

Sergeant Rob Little leads his squad towards the Ngan River (right top), looking to get across while avoiding any contact with the NVA, hugging the base of Hill 212 (left), Hill 104 looming ominously across the river (top center right). Sergeant Little (bottom left) called the squad to a halt and had them pull security; behind them (off map to bottom left), the rest of the platoon halted as well. Rob called his fireteams over and explained his plan: “we’re not walking into a mess like we did yesterday, and I know that hill across the river’s gotta be housing some NVA on it, so you guys sit tight, Jackson and I are gonna hustle up front and put some arty on the hill.”

They (bottom left) get in behind some scrub and raise supporting arty on the radio; Jackson spent a couple minutes providing the data to the battery, then called out “spotting round on the way, shot out!”

“Splash!” “Splash, out,” replied the battery. “You’re dead on, fire for effect!” (you can see the cotton ‘blast’ atop the hill at top center)

Danny’s 2nd Fireteam nears the river (center, with Cpl Benavides’ 1st Fireteam off camera to left), the freshly cratered Hill 104 still looming ominously across the river…

And the mid-afternoon stillness is shattered by the NVA squad on the south bank of the Ngan River opening fire at point-blank range on Danny and 2nd Fireteam…

Correa is still in shock (center right) as Doc dashes up to him, while Jackson (bottom left) gets on the radio, trying to get that arty support back on the hook!

Worn out Marines catch a quick breather. Sorry, I just like the closeup of the figures, great sculpts from Jimmi at Flashpoint.

It’s gonna be another long day for the jarheads. To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/04/two-brothers-fight-21.html

Only three more fights left in the boys’ first tour, next one coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Correa is living up to the Marine myth.

Green Peace should be joining up with NVA soon for the murder of those trees.

KR-16 is definitely generating quicker kills than 5Core. 5Core’s more supression feels like it fits the period more with the uncertain body counts etc.

Participant

Great stuff as always Jack!  Rivetting even.  I do so love your AARs not just for the game play but also for the narrative.

I received a 1/100 CH-34 not long ago,

Oooh, where’d you get it?  I have an old Roskoff kit I was converting but it fell by the wayside.  I’m still working on a HUS for Jimmi in digital, but I just can’t get happy with the nose and canopy.  I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and go with less-than-perfect.  Frikin-grumble-garh-yaw-so-and-so…  I might do a Phrog for him as well, maybe a shithook too.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Jebediah – It’s no myth, and I shall keep a sharp eye out for Green Peace’s paramilitary arm.

KR-16 gave some fun games, and yes, very deadly.  The search continues for the “perfect” set of platoon-level rules…

Darby – Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words and hope you’ve enjoyed the tour, hope it’s giving the proper Vietnam vibe.

Regarding the -34, I bought it off EBay from some dude in Germany.  It’s actual 1/100, not 1/87 like a lot of the kits I found, and it’s pretty old, probably left over from the 60s.  I think it’s from Heller, but could be Roskopf, I don’t recall exactly and I threw the box and paraphernalia away after I built it.  It came with West German ‘SAR’ decals.

How long a wait on the -46?  I’m about set to buy a couple off EBay, but could wait.

V/R,

Jack

Participant

How long a wait on the -46?  I’m about set to buy a couple off EBay, but could wait.

Grab them if they’re a good deal, so far I’ve only collected the proper research and images.  I can knock it out in a weekend if I can get the motivation (which has really been lacking lately, you know how it goes sometimes…).

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Well, hope you find your motivation, but I grabbed the pair, coming soon to a table near you!

V/R,

Jack

Looking forward to seeng CH-46, at last.

Participant

All,

1930 Local Time
    16 July 1966
    Operation Hastings

The boys are with Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (K/3/4), on their first trip up to the DMZ. Yesterday they were helo’ed into the area, then found themselves in a sharp firefight trying to cross the Ngan River which saw them repulsed with two Marines badly wounded. The Company tried twice more to cross the river, but the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars of the 90th Regiment threw them back both times. Kilo Company then fell back approximately 200 meters to the north and dug in, but the NVA pursued them, harassing with mortars and snipers, and by 1930 Kilo’s commander reported to battalion that the company was entirely surrounded. At approximately 2015 the NVA launched a full-scale assault on Kilo Company’s hilltop, which the Marines threw back owing to some brutal close-in fighting buttressed by supporting fires, with both sides suffering significant casualties.

This morning the Marines of Kilo Company pried themselves out of their holes with the sunrise, and were greeted with an NVA mortar barrage for their efforts. It didn’t last long and there were few casualties, so the rifle company got itself in order and not long after was back on the move, proving south towards the Ngan River. There was good news in that 2/4 had been told to hustle up and move west with all practical speed in order to effect a linkup with 3/4, owing to the tough resistance the Marines were running into, and radio traffic reported that 2/4 arrived at LZ Crowe* at approximately 1400. So there was a strong base behind Kilo Company, to the north, but it kind of left Kilo as the lone, dangling appendage to the south, still under orders to find and force a crossing to the south side of the Ngan River.

Needless to say the Marines were none too happy to be flung out so far to the south, without support, to an area they’d already gotten a good bloodying in, but order are orders, and so Kilo Company again attempted a crossing of the Ngan River, and again they were repulsed with casualties, by NVA on both sides of the river! The beleaguered company beat feet back to the hill they spent the previous night on and dug in, and it wasn’t long before the NVA were making their presence felt…

*With three helos already grounded there from damage caused by collisions, then the NVA shot down a Marine CH-46 yesterday evening, the LZ Crowe area was now being referred to as “Helicopter Valley.”

Overview, north is up. Another night-time hilltop defense battle by the Marines, where they are dug into the top of the hill at bottom left, a bend of the Ngan River visible to the northeast (top right). As usual, this is the DMZ, so lots of grass, some scrub, and pockets of trees in places the wind couldn’t blow them out of.

You can see the Marines dug into three bunkers atop the hill (bottom left), while the NVA are infiltrating the hill in an arc from the northwest (top left) to the southeast (bottom right, with their MG team in the northeast (right top).

Once again the boys (bottom right) find themselves in the thick of it, firing down slope on advancing NVA (far left, top center left)…

But their bunker takes a rocket, putting Correa out of the fight…

The NVA push relentlessly forward, close assaulting the bunker…

Which is enough for Danny and Nik to decide to get out of Dodge! They each grab Correa under an arm and fall back, behind a nearby hedge (bottom left, from center), as the nearby NVA (top right) toss grenades into the recently vacated bunker.

https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/04/two-brothers-fight-22.html

Next fight coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.