Home Forums Modern us arny tank transporters oob?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

guys

can someone tell me where  would the us army tank transporters be in the order of battle

are they divisional or higher and dispatched to lower units as needed or does lower units have there own or what way does it work googled but can’t find any info

Participant

I too have looked everywhere I can think of but without success.  What I did find was the US Transportation Corps and Transportation Battalions.  These battalions come in every type, but I didn’t see one specifically for moving AFVs.

I had a short attachment to 16 Tank Transporter Squadron, RCT, back in 1978.  Their role was to move tracked vehicles medium and long distances to save on track wear (and fuel no doubt).  A tank platoon doesn’t need its own transporters.  Neither does a company, battalion nor division (I would imagine).  If they did they would spend a lot of their time doing nothing.

The Brits had theirs as part of the Royal Corps of Transport (now the Royal Logistics Corps), and not the Royal Armoured Corps.  The squadron’s assets were sent out from a central base to where they were needed.  Upon completion of the move they returned to the base where the transporters (in my case the lovely Mighty Antar) were cleaned and serviced.  I think that the Americans will have theirs in one, or more, Transportation Battalions, but I stand to be corrected because I’m just guessing!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

I’m no expert, but a little scatching around suggests that the HETs are organised in heavy equipment transportation companies, either divisional or non-divisional, and the “companies” appear to be absolutely huge for such a designation — there are AIUI 5 independent heavy equipment transportation companies in the US reserves.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/docs/bnT041AA.htm

It also seems that heavy equipment transport is the sort of job contractors get involved in.

All the best,

John.

Participant

I believe it would be an organized subunit of USTRANSCOM, with the transporters organized and detached as necessary during deployments as part of the general logistical tail for an operation.

https://www.ustranscom.mil/

Participant

thank you gentlemen

Participant

If tank transporters find themselves anywhere near the FEBA, something has gone disastrously wrong I’d have thought.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I have finally discovered where some tank transporters sit in the organisation of a WWII US tank division.  This satisfies my curiosity, but does nothing for the OP.  Sorry!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

deephorse

would you care to tell us what you finally discovered with regards us tank transporter organisation please and thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.