Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Using cloth to build a World War II terrain

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stug
    Participant

Do you know how to create or where to buy good-looking cloths that I can use for my 6mm World War II games? I live in Canada.

I would also like to see pictures of your cloth to give me inspiration.

Thanks for your help!

willz
    Participant
    Stug
    Participant

I would buy a large dust sheet dye it a suitable green, paint on roads and fields using acrylic paint. I made one 10 years ago and it has a multitude of uses. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Weight-Cotton-Sheet-100-Cotton/dp/B0742LWGFC/ref=asc_df_B0742LWGFC?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80126967116389&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726543493097&psc=1 Smaller sizes are available, mine is 10 x 10 foot.

Do you have pictures of your cloth to give me inspiration?

willz
    Participant

This is it on the table mines made for 20 – 30mm use and I use lay on fields.  The roads are painted on using acrylic paint.

willz
    Participant
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

I tart up flannel bedsheets with rattle cans and a light sprinkle of fine flock (sealed w/pva).  A couple tables/examples*:

I lay on roads (weedblock+caulk) for those 15mm games but plan to just sprinkle on ballast for the planned 6mm tables – similar to the paths/sunken roads in the photos.  Specific areas are easy to delineate with groundcover/ballast – At the end of the day it is easy to sweep up/collect it into a bag, and the little bit that’s left behind just becomes scatter for the next game!

*from  http://brawlfactory.net/2021/07/27/26-july-44/    and http://brawlfactory.net/2020/06/29/7-july-44/

https://brawlfactory.net/

Stug
    Participant

I tart up flannel bedsheets with rattle cans and a light sprinkle of fine flock (sealed w/pva). A couple tables/examples*: I lay on roads (weedblock+caulk) for those 15mm games but plan to just sprinkle on ballast for the planned 6mm tables – similar to the paths/sunken roads in the photos. Specific areas are easy to delineate with groundcover/ballast – At the end of the day it is easy to sweep up/collect it into a bag, and the little bit that’s left behind just becomes scatter for the next game! *from http://brawlfactory.net/2021/07/27/26-july-44/ and http://brawlfactory.net/2020/06/29/7-july-44/

Wow, I really lime your terrain. Ok so you glue roads and rivers on your tarp or if you just put them on top of it?

For me, I would like to be able to switch fiels, roads, rivers, forest, buildings in every game.

That’s exactly the kind of terrain I would like to create.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

Ok so you glue roads and rivers on your tarp or if you just put them on top of it? For me, I would like to be able to switch fields, roads, rivers, forest, buildings in every game.

The roads and rivers (just a stream, really…) are built using acrylic caulk on weedblock fabric and laid on top of the sheet – edges can be prettied up using ballast/groundcover if desired.  Fields are cut from fabric (bought at thrift stores – either cut from clothing or tablecloths or …?) and sprinkled with a bit of groundcover and/or given rows of crops (strips of weedblock+groundcover) depending on how far you want to go in making it ‘pretty’.  Trees, buildings, fences, etc… are pinned down wherever needed – the groundsheet is laid over pink insulation boards cut to indicate elevation = another extra step that can be taken if desired.  It’s a bit of work, but adds to the game…and it looks cool!

A different base sheet can be used for different terrain, winter is the easiest! 

https://brawlfactory.net/

madman
    Participant

I also have a few sheets for game “boards”. I have some printed ones and a couple I made up back in the day. The biggest is about 6 ft x 9 ft. I have no idea what the fabric is but it is very stretchy so would do OK with hills underneath. However in my case I like the hills on top so I can see the contour lines. I also marked it with 2″ hexes (iron on ones from RAFM). Note that unless you have very small bases for micro armour infantry (1/2″ square) the 2″ hexes are too small when you have any terrain (specifically any buildings) in the same hex. I have lots of 3″ hexes so will be getting some more fabric and marking with the 3″ hexes.

All I did was buy some suitable green fabric then sprayed irregular patches of various rattle can paint to break up the oneness. Then ironed on the hexes. I want to game African imaginations and almost all the pictures I am seeing of sub Saharan locales show a very red brown earth so that is the colour I will be looking for. For terrain I mostly use lichen but bought a bunch of different coloured felt to make fields and woods/undergrowth zones. I also bought a couple different chunks of corduroy. Both brown, just different spacing. I will leave some as is for plowed fields and dry brush the rest with greens, tans, yellows etc. for fields of crops.

madman
    Participant

Reading the above posts reminds me of more.

I was at a con and a guy used sand to make “dirt” roads. At the end of the session he just vacuumed up the sand, put it in a jar for the next time and folded up his sheet. Then you can lay out roads to suit the scenario. Maybe paint/tint the sand black for paved roads? I think after he removed the sheet he vacuumed again to get the remaining sand. He used a self contained vacuum as sold for cars.

I think you were in Montreal? There should be a street which has almost all the fabric stores in a few blocks. That is what is in Hamilton. Very wide selection in 3 blocks of street!

I also had felt cut for roads and rivers back in the day. I made them too short (the idea was arrange the road to not be straight). I would suggest at least 6″ long sections of both. And/or make them both wavy or with bends. You don’t want long straight sight lines (or maybe you do). Cut any fabric with the roller type of OLFA cutters. Straight knives pull and tear. Use a cutting mat underneath. Or use scissors.

I also have a couple of the printed terrain sheets. Both are just printed on cloth not mouse pad or vinyl. I only got them as they looked cool. They are smaller (4′ x 6′) and work better for smaller games. I was going to mark one with 2″ hexes. Glad I am holding off for now and see how the 3″ hexes work.

Stug
    Participant

I want to see more WWII cloths for inspiration 🙂

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Far easier to buy a ready printed one(s).

🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Stug
    Participant

Far easier to buy a ready printed one(s). 🙂

Do you know of any companies that sell realistic cloth to use in my WWII wargames?

willz
    Participant
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Tiny Wargames customer service is/was patchy.

Geek Villain on the other hand have always been great IME.

https://geekvillain.co.uk/

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Stug
    Participant

I have checked the two websites (tinywargames and geekvilains) and I can’t find one that fit what I want. I want a cloth with no road, rivers or villages printed. I just want a cloth with different color variations (green, brown) so I can use it for all my games and add my rivers and roads on top.

madman
    Participant

Look up deep cut studio. I have a couple I bought from meeplemart in Toronto. Their stock is hit or miss but you could order from the manufacturer. You can also get different materials, including fabric.

Stug
    Participant

Look up deep cut studio. I have a couple I bought from meeplemart in Toronto. Their stock is hit or miss but you could order from the manufacturer. You can also get different materials, including fabric.

Thanks for the link but I think I will make my own cloth.

I tart up flannel bedsheets with rattle cans and a light sprinkle of fine flock (sealed w/pva). A couple tables/examples*: I lay on roads (weedblock+caulk) for those 15mm games but plan to just sprinkle on ballast for the planned 6mm tables – similar to the paths/sunken roads in the photos. Specific areas are easy to delineate with groundcover/ballast.

I Want to build a cloth similar to yours because it’s simple and I really like how it looks.

1. What kind of flannel bedsheets did you use? Is it possible to show me some pictures or if you can find a link on amazon it would be great.

2. Do you have other photos of your cloth for inspiration?

Thanks for your help!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I have checked the two websites (tinywargames and geekvilains) and I can’t find one that fit what I want. I want a cloth with no road, rivers or villages printed. I just want a cloth with different color variations (green, brown) so I can use it for all my games and add my rivers and roads on top.

Wargaming Battle Mat 6×4 Rocky Grass

Just one of Geekvillain’s plain mats. There are others.

Les Hammond
    Participant

What’s a WW2 cloth? You just need something greenish for European I think?

This started out as a cream bedsheet, tie-dyed with khaki green and mud brown Dylon dye in a bucket, then sprayed with a couple of rattle cans in suitable colours.
    The road in the foreground is tweedy fabric cut into strips with dark brown, terracotta & buff oil pastels rubbed on. In the background are ‘dirt tracks’ drawn directly onto the cloth with the same oil pastels. The ‘dirt tracks’ come off in the washing machine.

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.