Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Using F&IW figures for the AWI (or AR if you prefer)

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    General SladeGeneral Slade
    Participant

I’ve recently got into the AWI and have starting assembling my forces using the Minifigs 15mm range Minifigs 15mm AR

However, I’ve also got a bunch of their ‘Montcalm and Wolfe’ French and Indian Wars figures lying around and I was wondering how many of them would be suitable for use as militia in the AWI? Minifigs Montcalm and Wolfe

For example, were people still wearing stocking caps like this in the 1770s?

French Canadian Militia

To me, with the honorable exception of the Hessians, the AWI seems to be very much a clean-shaven war so would bearded chaps like these Coureurs du Bois look out of place? (The two guys in the middle look like they have got strangely big heads and haircuts like Moe from the Three Stooges but I think may just be wearing berets)

Coureur du Bois

Finally, can anyone point me to a good book about Indians in the AWI?  I’ve got a selection of figures from the Montcalm and Wolfe range but no real idea of how to paint them or which theatres of the war they would be appropriate for.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

I’m guessing you’re in the UK. I don’t know of any single picture-book that completely covers Indians in the AWI, but the Osprey MAA titles “American Woodland Indians”, “American Indians of the Southeast”, “North American Indian Tribes of the Great Lakes” and “Indian Tribes of the New England Frontier” should all be useful. If your Indians are Minifigs F&IW sculpts, they’re probably generic Great Lakes warriors.

You can get away with most any flintlock-shooters for militia in the AWI. I think that stocking cap is a ‘tuque’, which is a type that was popular in Canada, not so much in the British colonies, but you could raise a battalion of Canadiens as rebels or loyalists (there weren’t very many of them, either way), or mix a few into other units. The Coureur du Bois figures are frontier types, probably not suited for the eastern battles north or south, but you could raise a battalion for the small battles in Kentucky and Illinois, again as Patriots or Tories (again, not very many of them either way).

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

Thanks Zippy,

Much appreciated.  I think I will put these guys back into the lead pile and concentrate on doing some more regular types before I branch off into painting up troops for the more obscure battles.

Can I also pick your brains on clothing worn by the Patriots at Lexington and Concord and Bunker Hill.  As I understand it they would all have been in civilian dress (apart from the occasional old soldier who turned up in his regimentals).  However, I was wondering whether hunting shirts would be classed a civilian dress in this context or should I stick to guys in frock coats, waistcoats and shirtsleeves?

Thanks also for the advice on the Ospreys.  I will start looking out for them on eBay (I generally find you can pick up most titles pretty cheaply there).

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Here’s a whole wall of images of the Battle of Bunker Hill, including the famous John Trumbull painting of General Warren getting kebabbed, which is near-contemporary, others seem later or even modern. But they all show the Patriots in civilian clothing – I think I see one guy in a woodcut wearing a fringed smock that could be a rifle shirt:

http://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=Bunker+Hill+painting&id=48D11DAB63A205D99D33B6348ACF9C3E356D245C&FORM=IQFRBA

The hunting shirt was originally a frontier garment, I doubt it was seen much in Massachusetts in 1775. IIRC, the Maryland Battalion, and the Maryland and Virginia Rifle Regiment wore rifle frocks as uniforms in 1776, and later they became very popular as cheap, expedient uniforms for Continentals , State troops and militia.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

Thanks Zippy,

I’ll stick to the frock coats and waistcoats for the early encounters and use the figures in rifle shirts for other units.

willzwillz
    Participant
    Participant

Thanks William.  I will check them out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.