Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Using the backup airbrush

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I hope everyone had a good and productive weekend!

I actually had a couple of hours to myself and some good weather.  I had lent my “good” airbrush (capable of .1 lines) to my friend, which turned out to be a mistake as he returned it on Friday as non-functional.  Apparently a part was lost that should not have been removable to begin with, so basically no tips can be installed. Grrr…. So, I had to break out my ancient Pache VL, which is only capable of .3 size lines, but in actuality not less than .5.  A new airbrush is on it’s way and should be in my hands by the 9th.

So, below is what 2 hours of actual work was able to finish.  The other 2 hours I had were taken up by applying tape, cussing, and cleaning the airbrush between colors because it is a finicky piece of junk.

Believe it or not, those pieces have 4 shades of Olive Drab on them, using the AK paint modulation set.  Once new airbrush arrives I will add some camo using very dark grey/black with tan.  I think I might need to use a buff color for extreme highlights before I move on to the next step, which will be applying a filter prior to inking and detail like paint chips and rain streaks, rust, etc.

I promise the green is not as bright in real life as it appears in the picture!  Same for what looks like pink/purple here.  IN RL it is more of a bluish grey.  Again, once new airbrush arrives I can add some spots and highlights before the filter and details.

And finally some progress on new releases.  The tan vehicles have received their filter and gloss coat prior to inks and details.  The ships…. the blue Venturian freighter is ready for inks and details but the green and red freighters are a bit of a mess.  In fact, I dropped the red one and broke a fin off so now it will be pirate damaged and used for personal games.  The green one needs a lot of touch up as green paint got under the tape, and a lighter tone of green will be applied when the new airbrush gets here, as well as stenciling for “Zippy Cargo”.  Red will get some nose art and a fancy name since she will be the ship for the PCs in a Traveller game we are playing.

Anyways, that’s what I was able to accomplish in the short time I had.  I felt like I worked like mad, made good progress, but have a long way to go on everything.  Hopefully I can get some more time in another week and a half.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Participant

Very nice even application. I was shouting at my cheapo just yesterday, as it blocked and needed stripping and cleaning too many times.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thank you Norm.  Ya, having to break them down and scrub them good is always a bit of a pain.  The thing I don’t like about my old Pache is that you can’t control the airflow, only the paintflow, which means you are often using too much air which gives it a tendency to spatter on the model but also dry in the nozzle when you’re trying to do fine work.  It is also a siphon-feed rather than hopper style, which is it’s own set of problems…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.