Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Vanir houses

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

While I am waiting on some 15mmm Norse figures to arrive to start some Burning Sands action up in the northern realms I decided I better get started on scenery.  So, a quick 30 minutes and we have the start of 3 little houses for a village in Vanaheim.  (try to ignore the failed grass tufts, was called away before they were truly completed)

vanir houses

The one with the badly carved dolphin-beam on the roof will be for a successful fisherman while the other 2 are for some more common folk.  Couldn’t find my old stash of jute to get the roofs done, so may have to hit Hobby Lobby after work!   I’ll need some make some drying nets, odds and ends for scatter, as well as some fencing and gardens.  Also need to build a cart.  Will texture some of these as stone and some with some plaster.  It ain’t much, but it’s a start.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Burning Sands action up in the northern realms

So Freezing Snows rather than Burning Sands?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

So Freezing Snows rather than Burning Sands?

Lol, sort of, for a part of it.  It’s actually going to be 2 parallel simultaneous stories (one northern and one desert) that will hopefully come together.  May not, totally dependent on the capricious whims of the dice.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Very promising! Keep us updated.

Thomaston
    Participant

Very cool. I thought the grass bit was intentional. Looking forward to the finished product.

Tired is enough.

DadofEllieDosh
    Participant

I really like these houses indeed!

Don’t suppose you could send me the measurements please? My Peter Pig vikings and saxons would be very appreciative ☺

Mike
    Keymaster

I really like these houses indeed!

Don’t suppose you could send me the measurements please? My Peter Pig vikings and saxons would be very appreciative ☺

Careful, he is an architect, you may get more than you bargained for!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Don’t suppose you could send me the measurements please? My Peter Pig vikings and saxons would be very appreciative Careful, he is an architect, you may get more than you bargained for!

Actually, surprisingly this time buildings are not actually measured!  I had anticipated using some paper models for minis (still might if the figures take a while to get here, the company I bought from is notorious for shutting down occasionally as well as taking weeks to get anything sent) that I bought from DriveThruRPG (links will be at the bottom) but didn’t like the totally flatness that resulted.  So, I am using them as a pattern, printed reduced to 56% (as they are intended to be 28mm).

A-Frame houses: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/143225/Celtic-gallic-Aframe-house-clt019?filters=0_2200_0_0_0

and they even have a Celtic/Gaelic village with round houses:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?cPath=19749_22203

I’ll put up dimensions for y’all too, hopefully this eve.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Slight amount of progress.  Used some burlap/jut to make the thatch/roofing (quite tedious to separate out) .  Didn’t turn out quite like I wanted.  I should have done 3 rows instead of just 2, and I’m not a fan of the top row draping over the ridge.  Still have 1 house to go, and as it’s supposed to be for a well to do fisherman I may change the roofing up some.

Vanir prog 2

Mike
    Keymaster

Like it or not, you are closer to gaming!!
    😀

Geof Downton
    Participant

Could you do a primitive version of a ridge like this:

or this:

to tart them up?

(I trust the British idiom is not too obscure!)

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Very good examples, thank you sir!  I was thinking of a long board on each side (connected like a ridge) with some stoned tied to ropes hanging down to look sort of semi-primitive, but i like that detail in your photos.  I’ll have to think on how to get something like that done.

Geof Downton
    Participant

I like the boards idea, an echo of the dolphin on the other house; and/or flat stones something like this:

perhaps nearer the ridge, instead of a board. Not sure how to do it though, perhaps small pieces of slate or shale…

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Bingo!  My thoughts exactly!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

My order of Vikings arrived yesterday, which I plan on converting a few to look more Vanir-ish (putting some horns on the helms, some fur cloaks and boots, maybe modify their armor to be less chainmail looking).  Guess I better get moving on some of this terrain!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

After many months I finally got back to working on my Vanir.  Or, I was GOING to get back to working on my Vanir, only to discover that our youngest feline had removed the lid to that particular projects tote and had been sleeping in it at night (I think).  3 flattened houses, 1 mostly destroyed fortified manor (sort of a mot-and-bailey ala fantasy thing), several chewed on minis, and all of the jute roofs shredded and a collection of kitten hairs.  I had also printed out some cardstock longboats in prep and they have color runs from perhaps licking or sneezing.  Who knows.

Luckily the minis chewed on have extras, and the houses are easy enough to repair or remake.  I hadn’t gotten around to taking pix of the manor, but I can remake the walls much better now as I have some blue foam that will work much better than the EPS I had used previously.  Maybe this is a blessing.

Or, I can put the whole Trone’s Saga pt1: The Frozen North project aside, skip pt2:The Search for the Sword and move directly to pt3: The Burning Sands.  A much reduced saga, but I have a lot of Crom’s Anvil stuff in various stated of readiness.

What say the collective?  Restart from the top and tell the whole story, or jump ahead to the most ready portion of the project?

Mike
    Keymaster

I would start from the beginning, but whatever you do, Crom will be pleased!

Geof Downton
    Participant

…and they should be thatched with the aforementioned kitten hairs…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.