Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Vapnartak 2019

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by deephorse deephorse 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

I have put a photo report on my blog from Vapnartak last weekend, there’s also a cheeky bonus video included! Have look here:

https://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/2019/02/vapnartak-2019.html

Who else went? What did you think of it?

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine
    Participant

I went, seemed to be a lot more competition games going on on the top floor (compared to last).

So nice to visit a show that has lots of smaller scale stuff for sale – Peter Pig, Ancient and Modern, Museum Miniatures, Magister Militum, Baccus and Kallistra. Most shows seem to be very 28mm focussed.

Picked up lots of pre-orders, so saved a few quid on postage (even factoring in travel and entry).

I think Vapnartak is possibly my favourite show, prefer it to Salute tbh.

www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Thanks for the report reminding me of some of the games that I had forgotten. I was underwhelmed by the quality of the demo games which I normally hope will inspire me. They were ok, and I did like the Indiana Jones references, but overall the games just seemed a tad ordinary. The lack of engagement with the audience was a particular problem. We wandered round the show and returned to a few of the games but none of the participants even showed any sign that they knew we were watching, let alone attempted to speak to us. I also found the aisles between the traders’ stalls a bit trying. There was too little room and it was nigh on impossible to get through or even to browse the wares comfortably.

On the plus side, it was good to see so many participation games and also activities for the younger attendees. I applaud that side of things. It was also good to catch up with a few people whom I only ever see at shows, and I did get a rather nice paint rack from Sarissa Precision that I wanted but probably would not have bought had I not seen it in all its laser-cut MDF glory first.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Ruarigh Ruarigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I arrived at 1:30pm, was able to park almost outside the entrance, and wasn’t troubled by the narrow passages between games & trade stands.  Probably because a horde of people left as I arrived.  For a moment I thought they were evacuating the place because of a fire alarm!

I agree with Ruarigh about the lack of engagement between the demo gamers and the general public.  Too much of this goes on at shows I’ve attended over the years, and the situation doesn’t seem to get any better.

There was a good range of trade stands and I was able to get exactly what I went for, and more!  Overall I had a good time but was glad that I only live 30 minutes away by car.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Heh, it just goes to show you can’t please all of the people all of the time! Normally at Vapnartak I find the small space quite frustrating, but this time things felt a little more spread out, but that may have been due to the thinned out crowd. I wonder if the door taking differed to previous years?

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

this time things felt a little more spread out, but that may have been due to the thinned out crowd. I wonder if the door taking differed to previous years?

There appeared to be fewer traders than in previous years, and one for certain wasn’t there that used to have a reasonably big stand. Oh, and one criticism I forgot to make in my first post, the chips were well over cooked.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.