Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Varnish for terrain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

Hi guys. I am trying to throw together some quick terrain by spray painting vacuum packaging, sausage trays, the trays that come inside christmas biscuit boxes and yogurt pots. Last time I did this I simply sprayed grey and coated with Army Painter Quickshade. Thet look okay and are serviceable.

However, I am out of Quickshade and don’t use it to paint actual miniatures anymore. I don’t want to drop that money again on something I will barely use. Does anyone know of a good varnish I can use, like a wood stain or something?

greg954
    Participant

I’ve used a teak Sadolin interior wood stain. Teak is quite dark and seems to work ok. Although I find it takes a bit of playing around thinning it. Trying to get the right balance for what you want it to do.

I’ve used Quickshade and it is good and you do know where the extra money has gone. But a dark wood stain picked up from a discount store can be cheap as chips. Plus Quickshade has a short shelf life; Water based Wood stain doesn’t so much.

Thuseld
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. What do you thin it down with?

greg954
    Participant

Basically it’s solvent. Will be either water or oil based. In most cases if stain is internal and quick drying. It’ll be water based. That’s the one I would go with. If external wood stain or no mention of quick drying on the front of the tin then it might be oil based. So you’ll need white spirit or turpentine.

The big question is how much to add.  For modelling you can really thin it down to nothing more than a wash. But just test it as you go until you get what you want.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.