Home Forums Alternate History Victorian Sci Fi Victorian Sci-Fi Skirmish Gaming with Sellswords

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Graham Harrison
    Participant

I’ve been playing around with ideas for using Sellswords and Spellslingers in a VSF setting.

My first thoughts and pictures are on the blog https://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2018/11/victorian-gentlemen-with-sellswords-and.html

Mike
    Keymaster

“One of the prime objectives of S&S is the acquisition of cash, often gained by looting the bodies of fallen foes. As with my Middle Earth games, this does not feel as if it really fits with the VSF idea. After all, a gentleman who can afford passage around the world by steam liner, airship or whatever, is not likely to be interested in riffling the pockets of the Balkan bandit or African tribesman he has just overcome.”

Or bragging rights back at the gentleman’s club?

A sort of kudos or status rating?
    Not sure how the system works, but could you call on favours from people based on your kudos/reputation.
    The higher the value, the more likely people are willing to be part of one of you ripping yarns?

Thomaston
    Participant

To add to Mike’s ideas you could also weave in some hidden conspiracy, secret society working to oppose you, or lost civilization and collect info and leads instead of wealth, maybe the bandits have tattoos or a letter and the monsters have dogtags.

I’m kind of interested in the rules but seeing as it’s D20 do you think I can substitute it with D6 or does the modifiers and other machanics makes it impossible.

Also do you think I can use this for ships? Ships as characters etc.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Graham Harrison
    Participant

Thank you for your comments, sorry it’s taken me a bit of time to reply (real life!). Some nice ideas there.

I don’t think it would convert very well to d6 from d20. Iin fact I’ve moved away from d6 for most of my skirmish games as they do not really allow for small adjustments to dice rolls, even +1 or -1 on a d6 makes a big difference.

Would it work for ships as characters? Possibly, but you would need to complete rewrite the PCs traits for one thing. I’m sure you could make it work, but might be too much effort for the return.

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve since bought the rules and found out it’s a D20 variant of ASOBH.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.