Home Forums Modern Vietnam Hill Fight, game 1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

My next several evenings’ amusement will be a Vietnam campaign  using 20mm miniatures and lightly modified Hammer of Democracy. The mini campaign is based on the fight at the end of the novel Matterhorn (a truly excellent book), with a poorly supported Marine company tries to take two hills from PAVN defenders.

Game 1 saw the Marines seize the outer, lower hill. It was a tough fight, with one PAVN trench containing infantry and an HMG being especially resilient. At the end of the game, the Marines and PAVN on the second hill now stare at each other.

Game 2 to follow, as the Marines attempt a night attack on the second hill.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Would you elaborate on the game a short AAR or make the pictures clickable? Thanks.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Hi Kyote, I put this post together on my phone with pics uploaded directly to TWW; I edited them now so the pics are bigger!

As for the AAR:

The Marine company, with 9 squads, 3 M-60 teams, and a company commander  who had off-board mortars under his control, started their attack on the lower of the two hills on turn 1. One platoon raced around the flank on the hill’s left; the other two launched their assault directly on the hill. Hammer of Democracy’s support points concept let the Marines combine their infantry squad attacks with M-60 support.

On turn 2, PAVN return fire made things dicey. The HMG on the lower of the two hills directly engaged the attackers, and the supporting HMG on the bigger hill also helped. The flanking Marine platoon was badly shot-up in the process.

Once the Marines got into contact with PAVN defenses, things shifted in the Marines’ favor. Marine squads pushed up the slopes in turn 2 and 3, but stubborn PAVN resistance held one trench despite being attacked from all sides. Things looked lousy for the Marines for a turn; some good PAVN dice rolls might destroy some key American units and force the rest to fall back.

That didn’t turn out, however, and by the end of turn 4 the Marines had cleared the last trench and the hill was theirs. Commanders on both hills now eye each other; PAVN reinforcements are en route, so the Marines will attempt a night attack to seize the bigger hill first.

Marine losses were 3 squads; PAVN losses were 2 squads and an HMG.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Thank you!!!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ouch, that’s a lot of losses.  Night attacks are always risky, do you have mechanisms for mistakes and blue-on-blue?  No air support or dustoffs either… :grimace:

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.