Home Forums Modern Vietnam Hill Fight, game 2 (well…game 3)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I concluded my Vietnam Hill Fight mini-campaign after a 3rd game, reported upon below. Unfortunately, while cleaning files on my phone, I deleted pictures for game 2, so it’ll get a summary below.

Game 2 saw the depleted Marine company, having just taken Outpost Hill in a bloody daylight assault, attack Edelweiss—the larger of the two hills–in a night attack. It was a near run thing but the Marines seized Edelweiss, but were reduced to 5 depleted squads and 2 M-60 teams (from a strength before game 1 of 9 and 3). They dug in to the hill during the day; bad weather prevented reinforcement. They repelled a few minor PAVN probing actions before night fell.

A fresh PAVN company then launched its own night attack to retake Edelweiss, which made the action of my Game 3. It was an even nearer-run thing than the Marines’ night assault the previous evening; PAVN losses were heavy but they took most of the Marines’ fighting positions. However, the Americans were able to launch a desperate counter attack with walking wounded and the company CP, which ejected the North Vietnamese from their hard-won gains. With most of their squads shot-up or destroyed, the PAVN retreated back into the night. The sun rose the following morning, to a Marine company at a third of its strength two days earlier; resupply and reinforcement arrived but the PAVN didn’t return. Victory, of a sort.

Things of note:

I used a simple system to see if the PAVN platoons got into position correctly before the assault began; unfortunately for the North Vietnamese, one platoon ended up out of place and unable to participate in the turn 1 assault. This was costly!

Some bad dice rolls, combined with a well-placed Marine M-60, mauled four PAVN squads on turn 1 and badly weakened part of their assault early on.

One PAVN squad seized a line of Marine holes on turn 1 and presented an early threat to the Americans.

There were several instances of tied assaults and back and forth charges.

One section of Marine foxholes was the scene of seven separate assaults and three destroyed squads.

Pictures:

PAVN troops move up to the assault

The Marine position on Edelweiss: 5 chewed up squads, 2 M-60s, and a Company CP

It took 3 tries but the North Vietnamese overrun the first Marine position

The situation deteriorating for the Americans: 2 Marine squads wiped out, 3 positions overrun, the CP surrounded on 3 sides.

Marine counter attacks!

The PAVN fall back.

Dawn the next day—company CP in contact with the choppers, while the XO has his coffee.

Participant

Bummer about losing the photos of the second game, and a near run third battle. Thanks!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.