Home Forums Modern Vietnam Infantry Combat – 15mm or 28mm?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I can’t decide between 15mm and 28mm for low-level Vietnam combat – what do you think?

Participant

the terrain at 28mm looks great! so if your going for a skirmish 28, but if your using 15mm you get more of an area of fighting for strategy, I am totally 28mm because I’m 3D printing my terrain and it looks great

Participant

I have 15 mm but you could use 6 mm.

Participant

I’m with the 15mm crowd.  Even converted over from 20mm.  One of my biggest reasons is that though I mostly play with a squad on the US side sometimes I do go up to platoon(s), and if you’re going 28mm there just doesn’t feel like there’s room to maneuver on a 4×6 table, especially if there’s armor or helicopters present.  I mean, an LZ for a single 1/48 scale slick is twice as large as a single ship LZ for a 1/100 helo.  And then there’s the artillery and fast-mover issue…

There are some FANTASTIC 28mm minis out there, very characterful, but for me the lower cost of 15mm minis and the perceived maneuver room makes the difference.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Of the two I would pick 15mm. Easier to accommodate vehicles and more room to maneuver.

That being said, I play in 20mm. Plenty of manufacturers and vehicles and it acts as a nice bridge between 15mm and 20mm, looks-wise. Somewhat more expensive than 15s, of course, but not much.

Keymaster

My gut says 15mm, but my eyes say 28mm:

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/tag/gringo40s/

Participant

Interesting points so far.  Just one thing for clarity: this is only for infantry combat.  As soon as helis, arty, PBRs and tanks are in the frame, I am going to 6mm.

I’m with Mike. Some of the 28mm Vietnam figures out there (Gringo40s that I can think of) are just so attractive.

There are also a lot of plastic jungle plants (mostly the kind sold by the Chinese online vendors, among others) that look right for 28mm but might be a tad outsized for 15mm. That’s only a minor consideration, though – I still use them for both scales.

Participant

Interesting points so far.  Just one thing for clarity: this is only for infantry combat.  As soon as helis, arty, PBRs and tanks are in the frame, I am going to 6mm.

So my question then what rules are you using?  If you;re using multiple figures on a base then 15mm is the way to go.  Individually, I think that 28mm is very much prettier, as evidenced above, especially if you’re wanting a characterful game.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

My Vietnam 15 mm figures are based for FOW Tour Of Duty/Vietnam and singly for 5 Core. so I can go with whichever rules.

Participant

So my question then what rules are you using? If you;re using multiple figures on a base then 15mm is the way to go. Individually, I think that 28mm is very much prettier, as evidenced above, especially if you’re wanting a characterful game.

No decision on rules as yet, although FNG will definitely get a look.

Participant

20mm and i say charlie company by rafm.. not the miniatures those arent so great, but the rules are really cool. i like the whole take on the game, everyone is americans you play a platoon or squad leader and you have to survive your 6 games that are your tour of duty.

i have a bunch of SHQ figs that are pretty sweet, but there are a few guys that make 20mm nam

Participant

Of the two, for pure infantry skirmish, I’d go with 28mm.

For my own Vietnam gaming, I opted for 20mm, but wanted to include helicopters and/or vehicles from time to time.

I recently reconsidered the 20mm/28mm question with the new 28mm figs that we’ve been seeing on TWW, but don’t want to give up the slightly greater scope of games that 20mm permits on my table.

My main concern regarding 15mm   was related to ease of handling of 15mm individually mounted figures in highly detailed jungle terrain.  20mm still gave me the range of scope that I wanted, and would be a touch easier to manage. That is also my primary consideration regarding your question.  If using individually mounted figs, I’d go with the larger scale, particularly if you are just doing small skirmish.

Participant

I would definitely vote for 10mm Pendraken. 10mm is the only way forward these days 😉

Participant

I, personally, would go with 15mm – even with infantry, there are the villages, rivers, fire bases, the helicopters, trucks, M113s and the occasional tank troop. 28mm is great for small units but I prefer more “stuff”.

Have a great day, Foxtrot

Participant

I dropped 20mm in favor of 28mm because I don’t need so many scales and my terrain can be used for multiple periods.  For rules I’m looking at Spectre Operations, Skirmish Sangin, the old Recon rules by Palladium, and At Close Quarters.  The games will be low in figure count but heavy in terrain, on a 8×5 table.  I know I won’t be able to fit a lot of vehicles, helos, and arty but if I really want that then I’m going to use 6mm, which I have for WWII and modern.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.