Home Forums General Blogs Vikings on the Hudson!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

There’s always a tremendous amount on nonsense about the Vikings, but I was especially interested / frustrated / annoyed by a report of a new ‘find’ a convenient twenty minutes from my house. It’s all a ridiculous hoax, of course. Stony Point, NY, is a pleasant little town with a revolutionary war site, a lighthouse, an excellent diner and an open mic where you can treat yourself to my vocal stylings once a month. But Vikings — no.

Vikings on the Hudson

I do all my own stunts.

Yeah, well, you’ll be singing a different tune when they start pillaging and looting the diner.

“Eggs! Eggs! Grr! Arrgh!”

Geof Downton
    Participant

“Eggs! Eggs! Grr! Arrgh!”

Surely, “Spam, Spam, Spam, egg and Spam”

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

At least the Vikings being on the east coast and in the Hudson is believable.  I’ve been told stories and shown “evidence” of Vikings having been in the deserts of Arizona as well as having sailed in the Salton Sea in California.  One of those things I’d love to have a time machine to verify.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

The site on the Hudson is a pretty good one – where the river narrows after the broad reach of Haverstraw Bay to the south. In fact, the British built a fort there, which was stormed in 1779 in a surprise attack by cunning Americans using the fact that said bay was only two feet deep at low tide.

But no Vikings.

Current thought suggests that Vinland proper was the coast of New Brunswick which, in the Medieval Warm Period, featured wild grapes and wheat, and a lot of potentially unwelcoming native persons.

I do all my own stunts.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Vikings, pshaw. It was aliens. Obviously.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

kyoteblue
    Participant

There is a Runestone in Heavner Oklahoma. Yes, I know.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Vikings schmikings! What about Madoc and the Mandans!

Proper pre Colombian integration!

(or maybe not)

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I”m trying to imagine what the ripples would be if we are all wrong and they actually DID reach far off places like Arizona and California, and crossed the Panama and founded a town of outcasts in Vancouver, etc.  I’d think in reality nothing would change, other than some  Ooooo’s and aaaaah’s and the great nerd-calls going up.  I mean, it wouldn’t change any present day borders or ease any of the worlds suffering, it’d just be “something neat”.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1
    Participant

I live in Canada and the Vikings were definitely here.  Lots of evidence near the eastern coast including settlements.  It seems the Vikings did not create a partnership with the indigenous people living here and eventually abandoned the settlement.  I always thought it would be fun game to design.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by OldBen1.
    Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

I live in Canada and the Vikings were definitely here. Lots of evidence near the eastern coast including settlements. It seems the Vikings did not create a partnership with the indigenous people living here and eventually abandoned the settlement. I always thought it would be fun game to design.

Clearly so, not only in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, but very likely up into the high Arctic regions. The Greenland colony depended heavily on sealing, and also – while it was the fashion in Europe – walrus ivory. Greenland could not survive as a farming economy (and, of course, didn’t), but lived on Arctic hunting, and trading those things with Iceland and Norway.

I do all my own stunts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.