Home Forums Ambush Alley Games Force on Force Visibility on roads in heavy woods, jungle or heavy foliage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dirk bracke
    Participant

Hi all,

Visibility is limited to optimum range in heavy woods, jungle or heavy foliage. Do you also apply this to straight roads running through these terrain types? I’m not referring to European style highways – we are presently playing Vietnam and those roads did not exist in these terrain types.

Cheers

Dirk

Darryl SmithDarryl Smith
    Participant

Not to take the easy route on this reply, but I think the players or GM has to determine what type of road, what type of foliage, and is the rod perfectly straight to allow a line of sight. Most modern roads I drive on in the woods have slight curves or elevations that would reduce line of sight. So it would be up to you to determine the road’s conditions I think.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

I’m with Darryl on this.  The people that turn up to play the game may not instantly interpret the terrain set up in the same way as the person that designed the scenario and set out the terrain. I know this from personal experience!  All terrain, and its effect in the game, should be defined and explained at the start.  In this way, even though your road runs straight through a wood or town, you can state that line of sight only penetrates X inches into that terrain.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

dirk bracke
    Participant

We are playing the first scenario of the original Ambush Valley. We don’t have a GM but play 2 against 2 players. My terrain pieces are straight. And we did not agree beforehand about it.

I’m looking for the logical thing here. As I see it I do not think that you can see too far on roads in woods/jungle/heavy cover. Most roads through it tend to have curves or elevations (which I cannot represent on the table). I do not believe that the small hamlets in Vietnam had roads with hardened surfaces but earth roads which tend to follow the terrain in search of the easiest way through.

cheers

Dirk

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I would probably come up with some kind of simple ratio to take into account the  various issues you mention (uneven, subtle curves, overgrown shoulders). As a basic assumption I would use 2x the normal LOS in surrounding terrain, blocked of course by an actual curve in the road.

So if a road goes through woods you usually limit to 6″ LOS, then limit the road LOS to 12″.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

We are playing the first scenario of the original Ambush Valley. We don’t have a GM but play 2 against 2 players. My terrain pieces are straight. And we did not agree beforehand about it. I’m looking for the logical thing here. As I see it I do not think that you can see too far on roads in woods/jungle/heavy cover. Most roads through it tend to have curves or elevations (which I cannot represent on the table). I do not believe that the small hamlets in Vietnam had roads with hardened surfaces but earth roads which tend to follow the terrain in search of the easiest way through. cheers Dirk

I don’t know what Ambush Valley is, or what scale your miniatures are, but, to me, the obvious thing to do is to spend some time defining the terrain before you go any further.  This will save a lot of issues in the long run.  I don’t play games with a GM, but since 95% of the time I have designed the scenario, I get to define the terrain.  Someone just needs to grasp the nettle.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.