Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Vol is still the King

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All,

Old phots of Vol’s ships are still getting new posts on his threads in T.M.P. So he lives after blocking.

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Participant

Rory,

I tried some of Vol’s fishing thread and didn’t care for it.  Do you have a contact method for him?  I’d like to send it to him, or you if you want it.  I don’t want to run the risk of using it by mistake.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

No thank you! I use Polyester Sewing Thread.  Try his blog page “A Miniatures Hobby Room” If no joy Send me your e-mail address and I’ll send it on. Or he may see your post have.

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Participant

I am so confused here.

Context?

Participant

Brian,

Really? You didn’t like the fly tying thread? Wow! I have tried cotton, polyester, monofiliment nylon, beadwire, even horse hair. Nothing came close to the fly tying thread for me. I’ll take it if you don’t want it. You have my e-mail address, or did. If you don’t any more say and I’ll e-mail you.

Rory,

So what are they saying on my old threads over there? Who is posting? Can you safely let them know I am here now?

Regards,

Vol

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Participant

Splod,

Yeah, I guess it could be confusing if you walked in on this conversation.  Here’s the background.  Rory, Vol and I all build 1/1200 scale sailing ships.  Rory uses polyester thread and I use rayon thread to rig our models.  Vol prefers to use fly fishing thread, although I don’t know which material his is made out of, as fly fishing threads come in several different materials.  I bought some fly fishing thread, but don’t like the way it works, as I found it to fray and unravel very easily.  So, rather than leave it around my desk, I thought I would see if Vol wanted it.  Simple as that really, but in reading this (WARNING: BAD PUN ALERT) thread  about thread , I can see where someone would be confused.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Vol,

I did have your email, but apparently I didn’t save it.  Would you send it to me again?

I may have bought the wrong type of fly fishing line, as I found out later it comes in several different materials.  I bought UNI-Thread, and it seems like every time I pulled it, it unraveled or hung and broke when I turned a corner after running it through a hole.  One stay started to unravel after it was glued in place!  So you are more than welcome to it.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

I use the stuff “Splod” and I get confused!

Be safe

Rory

Participant

Brian,

Uni-Thread is what I use: 200 yd spool, Weight 6/0 and 8/0. Maybe you got a defective spool? One thing I always do with any thread material is to run the ends through a drop of Super Glue. Then after a few seconds roll the ends between thunb and forefinger. That helps to keep the ends from unraveling when threading through the drilled holes in the hull.

Vol

Rory,

I hate the title to this thread!!!

Wernher von Braun

Participant

O.K. I’m a little bit sorry. I still think you are my bench mark for modelling. I wish I was as good as you. You are my friend and it is right that I tell the truth. I’m not the only one who thinks as I do. I would not have been happy if you liked the name of this thread. You are that good so to me you are the “King” of ship modelling. You know me too well to know I will always tell you what I think.

Be safe my friend

Rory

Participant

Vol,

I do the same thing with the glue on the end of the thread, as I find that it makes getting the thread through the holes a great deal easier.  I actually had one stay unravel in the middle of the string between the masts after everything was glued in place.  I wound up brushing super glue down it and letting the weight of that put the thread back together.  I couldn’t cut out and redo the stay because it was between the main and mizzen, and already had other rigging in place around it.

Rory,

I got a chuckle out of the thread title, but I do understand where Vol is coming from.  I must say though, that I think the gamers who build sailing ships are a bit different from other gamers.  The ones I’ve met seem to be a little more laid back than other gamers, and less focused on winning at all costs.  It’s almost like building the little buggers injects into us some of the code of conduct they practiced back then.  Without getting too overblown on the comparison, regular Age of Sail gamers seem to be a little more gentlemanly.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Cheers 

Wernher von Braun

Participant

Vol,

I MUST have a set of emojis with bicorns!  Where did you get those?

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Brian,

I have always said that sailing ships for wargamers are so different from most wargaming models. So are the modelers.

I think that sailing ship models are above a glass ceiling that most models will not cross. The painting and the rigging stops them dead.

It’s not like doing a regiment, battalion or tribe. They maybe small but each one is an individual ship. Some may say it has a soul!

Each is different, I like to name my ships and keep the name. Some name the models for each game. but on the whole always try and name the ship with the same name if they can. Or keep a small number of names for each model for Historical games. The ships are not like group/block of figurines.

So I think we are different. We are a small group in a small hobby.

I love to see other folks ships and showing mine.  Some are a lot better than mine, some not so.  That is not the thing! It’s seeing someone try. Someone climbing thought that glass ceiling to join this mad, fun little group. We will help by saying the odd thing to make the next one better, not too poke fun or laugh at.

Is that being a gentleman? A good sport? or saying welcome?

Some of use will master this hobby in games or modeling. Some will build ships with little or no rigging. or play like Villeneuve at Trafalgar.  Or somewhere in between.

Love all parts of this hobby and mostly all that play/build in it.

In this hobby I have found a very good friend in Vol. We are different, but always friends because we build and push model ships on a table.

Be safe

Rory

Participant

Ditto what has been said. At the end of 2011 I was painting a troop of mounted  Russian jaegers. I had just finished the horses and started on the riders when my wife presented me with three Nappy ships from GHQ: HMS Victory, le Orient and le Superbe. I never finished those jaegers. There is just something about building these little age of sail ships and gaming with them. Something that trasports the imagination back to the period. After the first ship I have never looked back. I envy the gamer/modelers that can flip back and forth frop ships to troops, from WWII to ancient. I wish I could. I have so much lead and plastic I will never do because of that Christmas present.

I have become aquainted with so many more great people since moving to age of sail minis and made some good friends, Rory in the UK, Brian, Ed May, James White, Rob Eubanks (Ex proprieter of Waterloo Minis), and a few others. So many good people with the common interest of AOS gaming. I am probably the od one out since I am primarily a modeler first who likes to game.

Boy have we strayed through some topics on this one thread or what? I stll hate the thread title. Can we let this one die please? Start another with a better title? 

Wernher von Braun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.