Home Forums WWII Wadi Fookem, May 1941…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Major Shytes McCregor, OC commanding B Company 1st Bn. the Black Watch, lowered his field glasses and said…

“Hoots Mon, Sarn’t Major, yon laddies are no Eyeties… them’s Bosche, the noo!”

B Company had been ordered to hold Wadi Fookem till nightfall, a job Major McCregor had been more than confident of doing against the Italians. Germans arriving on the scene however, were fish of a very different kettle, for his under strength Company. Fortunately an 11th Hussar’s armoured car had turned up and offered to cover the bridge.

On the front line in the Wadi, Private Alf Tupper B Company sniper, slid a round into the chamber of his Lee Enfield… he’d a score to settle for both Dunkirk and the blitz with the enemy advancing into his crosshairs…

Wadi Fookem…

B Company Black Watch…

Private Tupper can be seen skulking in the palm trees at the end of the bridge.

Battlegruppe Von Richter of the 12th Panzer Grenadiers, deploy their mortar and heavy machine gun to support the assault!

The Grenadiers advance…

Over the horizon came a flight of sinister looking gull winged silhouettes, twirling his moustache fiercely Major Shytes McCregor said.

“Hoots Mon. I’m sure we can make a bigger screech than yon bastards!”

He turned to his stalwart Pipe Major, who’d by now changed into his full dress kilt, and shouted…

“Potting!”

“Sah!”

“Blue Bonnets!”

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Whirlwind
    Participant

Great stuff!!

Harry, I hadn’t clicked before that your gaming is more or less an attempt to re-create the Victor Book for Boys in table-top format…

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Serpently is old bean, chiseled jawed working class Tommies lead by amiable old upper class duffers, giving it large to the thick bull necked Teutons!

Mike
    Keymaster

Harry.

I have mentioned before about your use of certain terminology.
    Please refrain from terms that denigrate other nationalities, such as Fritz, Gerry, Eyeties etc.

Sorry Mike, it won’t happen again… kind of spoils the effect I’m aiming for though. Funny you don’t mention my denigration/racism against the Scots though mate, innit?

Mike
    Keymaster

Please see the above “etc.”

Just Jack
    Participant

That’s fantastic stuff, Harry, a great looking setup and I can’t wait to see how it plays out!

V/R,
    Jack

And so you shall Jack…

seeing as your KG Klink campaign was a major inspiration in getting the Desert Rats and those jolly spiffing German chappies of the DAK into action.

McKinstry
    Participant

To be fair, the Black Watch are historically Campbell and Campbell adjacent thus only kind of Scots since 1715.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Just found out mi’ Bageeper’s got the wrong frock on!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Glad to be of service ๐Ÿ˜‰

V/R,

Jack

I’ve mended Piper Potting’s frock!

“Open Fire!!!”

A thunderous volley stops a section of the 12th Panzer in their tracks, but support fire from their machine gunners exact a grim revenge, the fight’s on…

On the right flank the Grenadiers come on in fine style, till a burst from the advancing Cherrypickers’s armoured car, drives them into cover.

A DAK scout creeps out to recce the way forward, in the shrubbery round the bridge, Private Alf Tupper puts the crosshairs of his sniper rifle right between the scout’s minces, and gently squeezes the trigger…

But the sun’s glinted on his telescope and a burst of MG fire drops him!

In the heat of the moment the armoured car presses a tad too close to the Germans, a loud clang from an anti-tank rifle round brews it up…

Luftwaffe Stukas dive out of the sun reigning death and destruction on the Desert Rats’s mortar positions.

After bitter fighting with heavy loss on both sides the British forward line is overrun. The 12th Panzer Grenadiers storm into Wadi Fookem…

Major McGregor and Piper Potting move forward to bolster the line, halfway through ‘Scotland the Brave’, Potting get potted right through the Bagpeep!

In a shower of stick grenades and machine pistol fire the bridge is overrun. Nothing has prepared the Desert Rats for the brutal ferocity of a DAK all arms assault. As the dust and smoke blot out the sun the Major and Piper Potting are rounded up by grinning Germans and put into the bag!

The self same conditions enable B Company’s few survivors to slink away into the rocks, Private Alf Tupper, nursing a flesh wound accepts a welcome cup of char from the Major’s now redundant batman…

Back at the bridge Von Richter’s triumphant Battlegruppe break into a pc acceptable chorus of the Horst Wessel Lied. While on the roof of B Company’s old command post their master and commander plans his next objective…

Luckily for the The Von, the rifle that has him in it’s telescopic sights is out of ammunition. It’s owner moves back down the ridge to the remnant of his Company. Once there he makes an announcement

“They’ve marched the CO into Fookem under guard, and we’re going in to get him oot… tonight!”

As the B Company survivors rested in cover Alf Tupper studied Fookem and it’s little garrison through his telescope…

he was forming a plan!

Fookem…

Just Jack
    Participant

Holy crap, Harry, that did not go well at all for the good guys!ย  I don’t feel so bad now for my campaign ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stukas (a helluva Stuka, by the way, I’ve never seen that dragon stuff before, pretty cool), the armored car going down to an ATR, the sniper getting found and machine gunned, even the piper getting at, I mean absolutely nothing went the Desert Rats’ way.

Or did you really just do all that to set up the rescue mission? ๐Ÿ˜‰

V/R,
    Jack

Not as one sided as the AAR reads, those jolly nice, blonde haired, German chappies suffered fifty percent casualties to capture the wadi. Excellent morale and timely intervention of the Luftwaffe (the Stuka is a Corgi diecast model) swung it for adolf’s North African tourists.

The next episode kind of invented itself as I sat among the ruins of B Company glowering at Von Richter’s impromptu boy-band’s singalong at the bridge. It’ll be a skirmish game using either ‘Fistful of Lead’ or ‘One Hour Skirmish’ rules, fought this coming Saturday. This will be a much more equal affair With Private Alf Tupper and his cronies out for a bloody revenge.

Tune in Saturday for the next installment of this ripping yarn!

I’ve just been leching over Perry’s 28mm SAS/LRDG figures…

they’d make a perfect raiding party to put some hurt on them bleddy Stukas!

Nice layout and figures!

BTW, you have a great written Scottish accent.ย  I only understood every fourth word. ๐Ÿ˜‰

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

My son-in-law’s a Scotchman (they just love it when you call them that!) I practice my linguistic skills upon him…

he’s very impressed, says I speak their language like at native… the noo!

Just Jack
    Participant

Damn, 50% casualties for the Germans, eh?ย  Didn’t realize it was that severe!

Can’t wait for the rescue mission!

V/R,
    Jack

“Haz zer Englander began to singing like zer Canary?”

“Nien Herr Oberst!”

Major Shytes McCregor answered that one alright…

“This here Sasanach’s a Scothcman laddie! They’ll nea break us Potting if they canna even tell what country we’re from, the noo!”

Suddenly, out of the night came a loud bang and a piercing scream…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.