Home Forums General Books and Magazines War Chess – or, The Game of Battle

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am moderately interested in the History of wargaming, but had never heard of this from 1866

Up FREE on project Gutenberg.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64061

Participant

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I always thought Little Wars was the first.

Military history author

Participant

I love the look of the game.  I can really imagine a marquetry game board based on the design in the rulebook.  I’m not sure I understand the rules though.  The first line left me scratching my head:

“Light Infantry moves one, two, or three squares, at the discretion of the player, directly forward, right or left obliquely, and one or two squares in any other direction”

Does that mean they can move five squares in total but only three can be forward or obliquely (which I assume means diagonally in a forward direction?) and the other two have to be sideways or backwards?

Participant

I love the look of the game. I can really imagine a marquetry game board based on the design in the rulebook. I’m not sure I understand the rules though. The first line left me scratching my head:

“Light Infantry moves one, two, or three squares, at the discretion of the player, directly forward, right or left obliquely, and one or two squares in any other direction”

Does that mean they can move five squares in total but only three can be forward or obliquely (which I assume means diagonally in a forward direction?) and the other two have to be sideways or backwards?

I assume that it means what it says. The LI piece moves three squares, not five. The first square must be the square to the front, or to the left or right of the square to the front. The next two can be in any diection, including diagonals.

By my reckoning this means the LI can reach anywhere in a seven wide by five deep box, centred around the square directly in front if them.

All the best,

John.

Participant

I would assume it means you can move 3 square if moving forwards but only 2 square is moving sidewise or backwards

Mike

Participant

Hi John,

You are probably right – though to me  the words “any other direction” seems to imply that the second part of the move cannot be in the same direction as the first part of the move.

Oh well, it is reassuring to know that even if I had been around at the birth of wargaming I still wouldn’t have understood what the rule writers were trying to say.

Participant

I would assume it means you can move 3 square if moving forwards but only 2 square is moving sidewise or backwards Mike

Hi Mike,

I just saw your reply.  I think your reading makes sense.  It solves the problem, which had been puzzling me, of how Light Infantry move if they have got an obstacle in front of them.  I was half-convinced that the first part of their move always had to be forward and so they could end up stuck on a riverbank.

Participant

Don’t the authors have a faq or something?

It’s really a disgrace this game is not supported better by the publisher!

Participant

It’s really a disgrace this game is not supported better by the publisher!

There may be something on Facesemaphore…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Almost – at least as far as movement is concerned – page 175 and following.

No need to sign up to Facesemaphore…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Almost – at least as far as movement is concerned – page 175 and following. No need to sign up to Facesemaphore…

Yes, it turns out I should have read the rules properly because it is all made clear in the explanation to plate 4.  @Blackhat got it right.

Not the first time I have failed to understand a ruleset because I didn’t actually bother to read it.

Participant

Not the first time I have failed to understand a ruleset because I didn’t actually bother to read it.

I bet we’ve all been guilty of that at least once 🙂

Military history author

Participant

I tried to find some more information to answer all of these queries – the Author is very hard to contact, maybe the Publishers could dig something up?

I don’t use Facesemaphore, I posted them my details once and I was getting unsolicited Telegrams from ‘TsaristBrides’ for weeks. I will see if there’s anything on Morsebook.

oddly, having come across this for the first time on Project G, I see there are hard copies on Amazon for Sale.

Participant

oddly, having come across this for the first time on Project G, I see there are hard copies on Amazon for Sale.

It’s not protected by copyright any more, so anyone can offer it as a print or ebook.

Military history author

Participant

It’s not protected by copyright any more, so anyone can offer it as a print or ebook.

what I meant was that I had no idea it existed, and yet it’s out there to buy on Amazon. Wonder what other such gems are there if I know to look for them?

Participant

Ah, I see what you mean, and it’s a good point. I hadn’t heard of it until this thread.

As you say, it makes you wonder what else is out there.

Military history author

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.