Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi War of the Worlds and Hellfire

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jim Webster
    Participant

This is one of those scenarios where I was left wondering if it was SF or ought to go into the alternative history section 🙂

War of the Worlds and Hellfire

Tripods, black smoke, heat rays, it’s classic War of the Worlds

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Tony S
    Participant

That’s a lot of ideas you’ve worked out.  A few months ago I was sadly eyeing my old “All Quiet on the Martian Front” collection.  I really like the models, but unfortunately I can’t say the same about the rules.  Really wanted to like them, but they weren’t my cup of tea.

I was idly thinking about which rules could be adapted to a Martian invasion, but hadn’t really gotten far.   So the fact that you’ve done all the thinking for me Jim, is very enticing!

Even better, some of your caveats about infantry or artillery being possibly too effective under your suggestions, wouldn’t apply in my case, as the higher technology of 1910, and the fact that humanity is familiar with fighting the alien conquerers would alleviate that.

Many thanks Jim!

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

A fascinating article – thank you for sharing.

I had never thought about the height in pictures being right or wrong due to artistic licence but you now have me puzzling over it   A few years ago I picked up some of the small GW Guardian Drones from Blackstone Fortress to use in a 15mm ‘Portable Wargame’ game despite them being small (about 30mm or so from memory).

Jim Webster
    Participant

That’s a lot of ideas you’ve worked out. A few months ago I was sadly eyeing my old “All Quiet on the Martian Front” collection. I really like the models, but unfortunately I can’t say the same about the rules. Really wanted to like them, but they weren’t my cup of tea. I was idly thinking about which rules could be adapted to a Martian invasion, but hadn’t really gotten far. So the fact that you’ve done all the thinking for me Jim,v is very enticing! Even better, some of your caveats about infantry or artillery being possibly too effective under your suggestions, wouldn’t apply in my case, as the higher technology of 1910, and the fact that humanity is familiar with fighting the alien conquerors would alleviate that. Many thanks Jim!

I think there is a terrific temptation to dive into the Great Martian War, with the whole madness of WW1 plus Martians. Problem is from my point of view is there are a lot of Martian inventions that need to be worked through, some only hinted at. It’s not a blog post, it’s probably a serious project
    Glad you’ve found it useful, I know there are a lot of nice toys out there and a wide span of possible games.

Jim Webster
    Participant

A fascinating article – thank you for sharing. I had never thought about the height in pictures being right or wrong due to artistic licence but you now have me puzzling over it<noscript></noscript> A few years ago I picked up some of the small GW Guardian Drones from Blackstone Fortress to use in a 15mm ‘Portable Wargame’ game despite them being small (about 30mm or so from memory).

Well 30mm is about right for 6mm scale tripods 🙂
    But yes, tripod height is a doddle for illustrators and a nightmare for those trying to build them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.