Home Forums Air and Sea Naval War Plan Orange – 1/6000

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by MattH MattH 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MattH
    MattH
    Participant

This is a project I’ve been wanting to do for years and I finally got round to starting on it. The Pacific War fought in the 1930s, before long range airpower and radar, where the battleship still rules supreme. I’ll be using General Quarters 3 along with the Sudden Storm campaign rules.

I just finished an epic batch of 98 ships and I’m still waiting on some that were out of stock. The ships are all 1/6000 Figurehead, and although I haven’t painted them yet, I’ll be using 1/1250 aircraft.

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by MattH MattH.
    • This topic was modified 4 months ago by MattH MattH.

Mr. Average
    Participant

One of my favorite alternate history scenarios! Up there with War Plan Crimson and War Plan Black!

You paint a mean battleship, man! Lovely work! Nice to see the USAS Akron up there keeping an eye on the Fleet!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Also, at this scale, I’ve seen people print aircraft squadrons onto clear acetate and mount them on flight stands. Might be worth a thought. They could in turn be glued to clear acrylic squares for extra reinforcement. Or for that matter, This could be an interesting option:

https://www.discountschoolsupply.com/arts-crafts/arts-crafts-kits/craft-kits-projects/shrink-it-sheets—24-clear/p/1333?es=237530000ESC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Orbj4-t4gIVlYWzCh2abAwCEAQYBCABEgJmpvD_BwE

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s an impressive view, I really like the battleline and the mat you used, goes nicely with teh base. From the look of the destroyers I’m guessing it’s before 1936?

Tired is enough.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Outstanding!

Really looking forward to this. That airship is very cool!

McKinstry
    Participant

Good looking stuff both the painting and the photography. I love the interwar Pacific stuff both the War Plan Orange and the Hector Bywater “Great Pacific War”. Have you looked at the Bywater stuff?

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

Thanks all

Also, at this scale, I’ve seen people print aircraft squadrons onto clear acetate and mount them on flight stands. Might be worth a thought.

Yeah, that would probably have been sensible, but it’s too late now, I’m committed! I have a pile of Fairey Swordfish and Gloster Gladiators which will serve for all the various attack planes and fighters, and some Ki27s to be both A5Ms and P-36 Peashooters.

From the look of the destroyers I’m guessing it’s before 1936?

The Sudden Storm campaign is set in 1937, which to be honest is a bit later than I would have liked, but it has all the gunnery and ship charts already done so I’m going with it for now.

I also have the Admiralty Trilogy Bywater’s War, which is a set of tactical scenarios ranging from 1926 to 1940 so I’ll probably be trying out some of those as well. Another option is Mark Herman’s game Plan Orange, though I’m not sure how well it would translate to miniatures.

That airship is very cool!

That’s not just any airship, that’s a flying aircraft carrier. Hardcore airship nerds will harrumph at my substitution of a German Zeppelin, which is a bit too slender for the Akron/Macon, but it’s all that was available.

I love the interwar Pacific stuff both the War Plan Orange and the Hector Bywater “Great Pacific War”. Have you looked at the Bywater stuff?

I’ve had it sitting on my Kindle for years and just got round to reading it – I’m about half way through. To be honest it’s a tough read, the prose is so dry it makes Tom Clancy read like Shakespeare, but it’s kind of required reading for this period!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by MattH MattH.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by MattH MattH.

Thomaston
    Participant

Hmmm F9Cs flying around vs normal carrier planes will be interesting.

I was expecting Bywater but didn’t spot any of the fictional classes.

Tired is enough.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

The only fictional ship in Sudden Storm is the optional USS Stony Point, the flight deck cruiser. I don’t know of anyone who does a model for it in 1/6000.

Of course the Akron and Macon are kind of fictional, since they were gone by 1937, but the option of having flying aircraft carriers just has to be done.

Mr. Average
    Participant

What about the USS Langley?

Regardless, I heartily endorse the use of the USAS Akron and Macon. Those are just such wonderfully obsolete ideas not to pursue them.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

The Langley is a seaplane tender by 1937. There are optional rules for AVs and I haven’t decided whether to use them or not. I do have the model though, so probably will end up using her.

The US CVs are Ranger, Saratoga and Lexington, while the Kaigun have the CVs Kaga, Akagi and Soryu, and the CVLs Hosho and Ryujo.

McKinstry
    Participant

A Shapeway store called Objects May Appear offers most of the Bywater ships in 1/6000 at:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/objects?section=Seaships+1%3A6000&s=0&page%5Bnumber%5D=3&page%5Blimit%5D=48&page%5Border%5D=asc

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

Oh cool, thanks. I was aware of Objects May Appear but for some reason I thought they were only in 1/2400.

hammurabi70
    hammurabi70
    Participant

Great photographs.  What are the specs for the camera?

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

It’s a Canon 550D with a Sigma 18-200mm lens, on a tripod and using self timer to prevent wobble.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.