Home Forums General General Warbases give me a big RUB :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, I have finally found my first 28mm figures box and despite it being grey in colour (it’s really black but the dust was that thick) all the figures look fine but then again it is an ‘original’ old GW figure case with 3rd party foam inserts 🙂

I have noticed some of my smaller bits are getting battered as I move things and shuffle for clearance esp. those in the Really Useful Boxes (RUB) that litter the house like rubble.

The 9l and 4l ones fit so well in the IKEA cubes here that I have been loathe to get anything else and though I had seen the Sally 4th trays and inserts, I was looking for a simple ‘box’ that could fit and I could pad out as needed. A search of MDF ‘cutters’ took me to Warbases and their range of RUB inserts.

One quick order and two half sized ones arrived (32mm and 66mm):

and a bit of glue later I have two nicely stacking boxes:

Thoughts so far:

• Not cheap in small quantities (inc postage these two set me back £9.60) – plan what you need and bulk order.
    • I’m not going to paint them – I may give them a coat of varnish to stop the smell scuffs.
    • The thin box is a bit of a pain to assemble – it only has one tab holding the sides so you just have to make sure it is true as the glue sets.
    • I would love an acrylic or MDF lid option so the figures could sit in a half height box with other bits of terrain / rules etc so I have game in a box. Not sure how this would sit with the angles used in the teeth and you cannot turn the small one upside down as their position is wrong.
    • If I am to use the inserts then I need to rebase my 15mm figures – they are a TOTAL mix.
    • I have no foam figure holders spare to cut down and cannot remember where I got the nice firm foam I use.
    • I still hate the smell of cut MDF in the morning!

All in all a 8+ out of 10 and I will be buying a couple more – esp. a full size low one for my block game – they will be really handy for the scenery to sit on top of the RUB unzipped hobby tray I use for the troops (from the RUB site):

I’ve been unable to find anyone selling the RUB A4 ‘shelf’ without a box and their store on Amazon does not seem to list it now (and sort by price does not work of course).

Keymaster

I have those too  😀

Participant

I use a combination of RUBs (of all shapes and sizes), box files, and KR Multi-cases to store my scenery and vehicles.  This is all for 20mm WWII stuff.

I find that these solutions are not really suitable for my figures though, they tend to rattle around inside.  Then I discovered these boxes, varieties of which can be found on ebay, usually under ‘crafting’.

As you can see, the ‘vertical’ rows are removable, allowing storage of things larger than the individual compartments can accommodate.  The individual compartments are just right for the way I base my figures, two per 20mm x 40mm base.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

From various cheaper outlets you can get rolls of rubberised mesh type material.  It’s used by caravaners to line drawers etc with to stop things sliding about.

It does a fine job in RUBs with most figure base materials I’ve used and the width is a good fit for 7l size without waste.

https://www.threezero.co.uk/kampa-shelf-liner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulnqueAZgrqwICNQ3JRrD9Ri_D-lwyrVp3SMzdvXnSb5q2aPj_Mvu18aAs5yEALw_wcB

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Participant

The bigger ones arrived (and still smell despite a stay in the garage) and went together with no problem. Each of the hills have around 5mm clearance and the edges of the wood fit nicely in the dints in the lid to stop them sliding.

The Palaeo Diet bits fit well with enough room for the rivers and pond to complete the set.

I did find some of the none slip matting but I think it came out of the car boot as it grotty and gritty. Next time I’m in town I’ll see if I can pick some up as it does not clean 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.