Home Forums General General Wargaming "have you ever"?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

A variation on the childrens game.

Person 1 asks “Have you ever?”.

Person 2 answers truthfully and asks something else.

Needless to say, the questions should be something that’d be a bit silly, awkward or embarrassing but in good spirits.

To start us off:

“Have you ever brought a scenario to a club or convention, with no playtesting at all?”

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Never to a convention.  But I have taken scenarios for conventions to the club to test, then adjust, test again etc.  We all take untried scenarios to the club and this is encouraged to develop scenario writing in everyone who wants to participate.  It is a safe place with constructive criticism, suggestions and assistance.  Fun and laughter are included free of charge.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

That started well

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I’ll try.

A variation on the childrens game. Person 1 asks “Have you ever?”. Person 2 answers truthfully and asks something else. Needless to say, the questions should be something that’d be a bit silly, awkward or embarrassing but in good spirits. To start us off: “Have you ever brought a scenario to a club or convention, with no playtesting at all?”

Yes, more than once. Much hilarity ensued…

Have you ever fielded unpainted figures in a club (not solo) game?

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Yes, it ended badly, but we all laughed.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I don’t think this is going to work Ivan.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

“What we got here is a failure to communicate” 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Have you ever fielded unpainted figures in a club (not solo) game?

Uggh the very notion.
    Not even solo.

Have you ever proxied something with a proxy so outlandish the other person refused to accept said proxy?

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

The horror..

Thomaston
    Participant

“Have you ever proxied something with a proxy so outlandish the other person refused to accept said proxy?”

Nope, never.

Have you ever started an army on impulse after seeing a movie, tv or a book?

Life's too long.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

“Have you ever proxied something with a proxy so outlandish the other person refused to accept said proxy?” Nope, never. Have you ever started an army on impulse after seeing a movie, tv or a book?

Hasn’t everyone? 🙂

Have you ever played with crooked dice?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Not to my knowledge.

Have you ever painted up an army and ended out never using it?

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

That is my modus operandi.

Have you ever deliberately under exaggerated your lead pile?

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

That is my modus operandi. Have you ever deliberately under exaggerated your lead pile?

No, but I have fibbed about how much I have spent at the show I just returned from.

Have you ever thrown your dice across the room after they have once again failed to display the required number?

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

No, but I’ve seen something similar.

Have you ever ordered a pack of figures / ships / planes / tanks / whatever, only to realise you already had the aforementioned model (and possibly a couple more) in a box that you’d completely forgotten about?

I’m sure I must have, though I can’t recall specifics. That’s a subcategory of Coming Across Things  I’d Forgotten I Had — the usual result of which is “Gee, if I just bought another ten packs of these. . .”

Have you ever, when running a game, realized you left out an important element?

I’ll go ahead and answer that one in the affirmative:  one figure in a Desperado game I was running didn’t seem to be getting much of anywhere.  It’s a card-draw system, and I prepare two cards for each figure, but this one was slow. I discovered that one of his cards had slipped out of the deck and was stuck in the bottom of my bag o’ stuff.

I was the victim of this, too — my platoon of stalwart 24th was overrun by Zulus due to an errant card, poor fellows.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh yes, I once left the river system at home for a convention 3mm Vietnam game that was all about Riverine forces!  Luckily the office supply store nextdoor had a roll of brown butcher paper that I was able to cut up and use.  Actually worked way better than what I had originally prepared!

My turn:

Have you ever activated your troops out of sequence and ended up with a disaster?

(I did this last week, got all excited about an assault and forgot to fire of my artillery to soften the enemy up first!)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

greg954
    Participant

Have you ever activated your troops out of sequence and ended up with a disaster? (I did this last week, got all excited about an assault and forgot to fire of my artillery to soften the enemy up first!)

Yes, more games than I can remember.

Have you ever accidentally damaged or destroyed a model? (I was stripping the paint of a resin model and left it too long in the paint stripper).

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Yes, when invited round to a fellow club members house for an evening of naval gaming, I managed to snap off a spar from a very expensive, beautifully professionally painted and rigged 1/600th scale ironclad.

He was very polite about it.

My turn again.

Have you ever run a big multiplayer game and forgotten one of the players, so that they missed their turn/s?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Jim Jackaman Jim Jackaman.
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

My turn again.

Have you ever run a big multiplayer game and forgotten one of the players, so that they missed their turn/s?

Yeah, and I felt really bad. It was only one turn and the player was kind of new to gaming, so that made it an even worse first impression.

After that, I try to check with each person real quick if they are all set, before moving on.

My turn:

Have you ever argued a historical fact vehemently mid-game, and then realized that you were completely wrong and the other guy was right?

Nordic Weasel Games

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Once we played a Sudan game in a different scale and forgot to change measurement from inches to Cm. We were several turns in and wondering why everything was moving so very fast and why everyone was suddenly in firing range of each other before we twigged, and it was either a case of start again or keep going. We kept going.

Have you ever walked away happily victorious from a game and suddenly realised your opponent missed something crucial, and you really really should have lost? And did you tell them?

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Have you ever walked away happily victorious from a game and suddenly realised your opponent missed something crucial, and you really really should have lost? And did you tell them?

Yes I have, yes I did, and no he didn’t mind. Happily in our gang people care less about winning or losing than about the game experience and good company.

Have you ever spent a lot of money on getting an army painted up specially, used it very few times, and discovered you’re just not into it?

(In my case: £500 or so on Matthias Corvinus’s medieval Hungarian army, including buying a book of Hungarian heraldry to get the shields right; played three games and realized that even with an army I’m interested in, I just find games of that period boring.)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Have you ever spent a lot of money on getting an army painted up specially, used it very few times, and discovered you’re just not into it?

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Never bought a ‘painted figure’ in my life. I bought a bin-bag full of ‘painted’ GW figures when I was 20, and stripped and repainted them, but they barely count.

Ever bought an army you knew nothing about ‘cos you fancied a change, done zero research then painted them up and fielded them to discover you had glued all the shields on upside down? 🙂

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Ever bought an army you knew nothing about ‘cos you fancied a change, done zero research then painted them up and fielded them to discover you had glued all the shields on upside down?

That sounds awfully specific!

No, I can’t say I have though I recall some “lore-breaking” 40K units at competitions.

Have you ever come to the club game and realized you brought the wrong army?

Nordic Weasel Games

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Ever bought an army you knew nothing about ‘cos you fancied a change, done zero research then painted them up and fielded them to discover you had glued all the shields on upside down?

That sounds awfully specific! No, I can’t say I have though I recall some “lore-breaking” 40K units at competitions. Have you ever come to the club game and realized you brought the wrong army?

No, but I did once forget my wallet so I couldn’t buy the drinks.

and

Have you ever had a rules dispute that resulted in just one and a half turns played during the course of a club evening?

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Have you ever had a rules dispute that resulted in just one and a half turns played during the course of a club evening?

Sort of: the last 40k game I ever played many moons ago a guy tried to interpret the rules for the Eldar Web Of Skulls being able to roll for 99 hits basically allowing him to move his Avatar across the whole table as part of a single attack wiping out all opposition.  It got really ugly and resulted in me never playing 40k ever again as well as killing that dudes connection to the whole group.  Last I heard he had gotten himself kicked out of several tournaments for other such extreme loophole attempts.

Have you eve accidentally destroyed an entire terrain piece?

(I once sat on what I thought was just a folded blanket sitting on a bench only to discover that the crunching sound from inbetween the folds was what was once a lovely 1/600 scale foam and card Roman villa)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.