Home Forums General Blogs Wargaming Recon podcast

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all!  Editor Mike said it would be ok for me to post about my show and new episodes that I release.  I am the owner and host of the Wargaming Recon podcast.  It is a historical and New England gaming focused podcast that I create from my home outside of Boston, Massachusetts USA.

Twice a month I release new episodes covering a variety of wargaming topics.  I’ve been podcasting since 2006.  My show is notable for its coverage of New England game conventions (TotalCon, Huzzah, and Havoc) and for the guests that have come on my show.

Some of the guests I’ve had are:

• Henry Hyde, editor of Miniature Wargames magazine & author of The Wargaming Compendium and the Wars of the Faltenian Succession compilation
    • Jasper Oorthuys, managing editor publications for Karwansaray Publishers (of Ancient Warfare, Wargames Soldiers & Strategy, and Medieval Warfare magazines)
    • Russ Lockwood, editor of the Wally Simon’s Secrets of Wargame Design series and author of Snappy Nappy Napoleonic rules
    • Neil Shuck, owner & primary host of the Meeples & Miniatures podcast
    • Steven MacLauchlan, head honcho and primary host of the WWPD: News From the Front podcast
    • Jon & Diane Sutherland, co-owners of the Wargame Holidays Centre on Crete and authors of numerous military history books
    • Angelia Parenteau, promoti0nal director for Total Confusion game convention in Mansfield, Massachusetts (New England Largest Game Convention)
    • Dean Emmerson, an organizer for the Huzzah historical gaming convention in Portland, Maine
    • Bill Dettmers, owner of 12-7-Games.com store
    • Jay Libby, independent game designer
    • Ben Gerber, independent game designer & host of the Indie Talks podcast
    • Peter “Blix” Bryant, independent game designer & co-host of the Mythwits geek culture podcast

My most recent episode is #119: Henry Hyde Wargaming Author where Henry Hyde and I talk about a variety of wargaming topics.  Of particular note is our discussion about his book, about my ancient roman inspired imagi-nation campaign, and that I announce my wife and I are expecting our first child.

The podcast can be found on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, my blog, Wargame Vault, Tabletop Gaming News, the Troll in the Corner Podcast Network, and other places podcasts are found.

Podcast Host: Wargaming Recon
    "Discussing Historical & New England Gaming"
    www.WargamingRecon.com

Hello Wargamers.  I’ve been delayed in informing you about the latest episode of my podcast.  Episode 120: Wargaming With Kids came out on August 18th.  In the episode I share some tips for those of us who wish to wargame with kids/introduce kids to wargaming.  Plus I cover ideas for those of us who go to a convention/trade show and find ourselves gaming with kids there.

For me the highlight of the episode is when I discuss superstar GM Mike Paine and his series of home-brewed pulp Hanghai games.  Mike constantly revitalizes his games and they are intended for kids and adults who can play nicely with kids.  Mike the example I use when trying to organize any games for children.

As an aside I use the episode to ask listeners for some help.  Since 2006 I’ve hosted the show and had guests on the show.  I’d love to discover who YOU would like me to have on the show.  If any of you have a special person you think would be a good guest please get in touch with me.  It would be extra helpful if you have their contact information or can make an introduction on my behalf.

Anyway, you can get Episode 120: Wargaming With Kids and listen at your leisure.

www.WargamingRecon.com

Episode 121: Hobby Bunker Game Day 2014 (click the link to get the episode) is here.  YAAAAY!

Description: Boston Trained Bands hosts a successful annual game day at the Hobby Bunker in Malden. Jonathan attended their fifth annual game day in 2014. Listen to this episode to learn what games were played, what games wowed the gamers, and 5 reasons why game days are important.

The episode features some great listener feedback attempting to answer my question of “Are Painted Miniatures Essential for Miniatures Wargaming?” (please don’t answer the question here, I know that’s a big discussion).  That question was the theme for Episode 113 of my show.

www.WargamingRecon.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.