Home Forums General General Wargaming Rooms

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

So my wife is fed up with my hobby overwhelming our spare room and has given authorization for our unused garage to be turned into a war room; the pieces of my cunning plan are falling into place

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Paul
    Participant

Sorry, not sure why only half my post got posted. Anyway, wanted to ask if anybody has ideas, pictures, or thoughts as to what would make the perfect wargaming room.
    Thanks in advance for advice.
    Cheers

Paul

Samantha
    Keymaster

Heating, a fridge for snacks, a coffee machine/kettle and tea stuff, comfy seats. But that is the girly comfort requirement shining through. 😀

Also your wife has the right idea. Editor Mike is supposed to be confined to his little room but he encroaches on the landing and we have to play on the dining table. Wargamer WAGs and HABs (Husbands and Boyfriends) need to protect there sanity from the even increasing lead mountain.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Samantha.

Never put a sock in a toaster.

Steve Johnson
    Participant
    • Heating
    • De-humidifier if required. My garage gets rather damp in the Winter and Spring, so I don’t store stuff there anymore, as baseboards etc were going mouldy and distorting.
    • Plenty of storage for all of your figures. I’ve seen some with seperate cupboards, others with under table storage in an island unit.
    • Good lighting.
    • Comfy seats as Sam says.
    • Pictures etc on the wall, space for campaign maps etc to give it some ambience.

Hope this helps?

Andy
    Participant

First step, insulate the floor, some 50mm or 75mm if budget allows of kingspan, then top it with some decent flooring (25mm thick!), then find a used office supplier for some old carpet tiles – typically be had for £1 each or less – that way you removes one huge headache of a cold floor you will be very grateful of this after 8hours of gaming in the garage!

Next – again if budget stretches, batten and plasterboard the walls and ceiling and then stuff loads of insulation in there as you plasterboard – dont forget to add enough power sockets around garage and some decent lighting.

This is what I did to my garage – and I even blocked the doors off internally – so it looks like a garage from the outside but inside – its a nice looking room.

If you cannot get central heating extended there then  a 2kw fan heater will heat the insulated garage up surprisingly quickly – mine takes about 20 or 30mins in winter to remove the chill and about 1hour to get really toasty…

All in all its about taking the cold/dampness out of the garage and making it a pleasant place to play and store figures – without central heating I would not recommend storing books etc – as the winter damp will still get in there – unless you are prepaid to turn on heater every day – can get expensive…

Check out some of the fathers day gaming posts on the http://sadwargamers.com  website – as they take place in my garage…

and good luck with the project 🙂

Rregards
    Andy

Trebian
    Participant

A year or so back I did a number of postings on “Wargaming for Grownups” about building a wargaming shed in the garden then kitting it out. I then turned that into an article in Miniature Wargames earlier in the year. The story starts here : http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/what-does-wargamer-do-with-redundancy.html and then there are updates every week or so.

Steve’s got most of it. I don’t have a de-humidifier and as long as the insulation is good you only need a fan heater or two to keep it warm. Carpeting the floor makes a real difference if you’ve got some old rolls in the loft or similar.

Don’t forget to put in a tea/coffee making area. As for storage under the table…that’s a matter of taste. I was going to do that but like having a table where I can alter the size so we can all get round it.

Do NOT skimp on the lighting.

Oh, and have a hat shelf as well.

Trebian

Bandit
    Participant

For flexible wall mounted storage, I’d argue for pegboard being the most flexible. I’ve moved all my unpainted collection to hanging on pegboard. All my buddies think the place looks like a retail store but it is easy to find, gets it up off the floor, I can pop shelves into place instead of hooks any time. Very nice, clean, flexible.

Blackhat
    Participant

As people have said, storage is important – I use 50 litre Really Useful boxes which fit under my Table Tennis table and hold all my terrain.  Figures are stored in a mix of Really Useful boxes, Kaiser Rushforth cases and two filing cabinets..

Don’t go for the biggest table you possibly can on a permanent basis – I have a full 9 x 5 table but have recently decided that I don’t play that any games on the full table so have put half the table away behind a bookcase.  I now have more room to work in (the games room is also my packing room and storage for Black Hat stock) and can still pull out the full table if I need to.

Mike

Black Hat Miniatures -
    http://www.www.blackhat.co.uk/

Paul
    Participant

Thanks for the advice all. I am in South Africa and inland, so humidity is not a problem – our winters especially are horribly dry. I had thought of insulating the walls and roof, and had planned on tiles, but on second thought, carpets will make the room more comfortable.

I plan on putting a painting station in one corner, so like the peg board idea to help keep unpainted lead tidy and organized.

Hadn’t thought of tea/coffee things, but that will be a lot more convenient then trekking into the house.

Thanks again all

Striker
    Participant

If you have critters that like to move into sheds and garages some blocking of that would be in order.  I have chipmunks that invade my garage (a constant battle) and don’t leave anything there in case they start to chew or build a home.

Phil Dutré
    Participant

I had my wargaming room redone this year.

Key points:

– Not the biggest table possible. Adapt your games to your table, not the other way around.

– Nice room, no storage junkyard

– I do not use a table as such, but use drawing cabinets, upon which a playing surface is placed. Saves some space since you have no table legs.

Some pictures:

http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2014/02/my-new-wargaming-room.html

http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2014/06/my-new-wargaming-room-part2.html

http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2014/07/my-new-wargaming-room-part-3.html

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

kyoteblue
    Participant

I now have half of a 3 car garage as my gaming room/man cave and while it’s cold, it has my 4 x 6 foot game table set up along with a summer painting desk.  At long last.

shelldrake
    Participant

I would also put up a notice/cork board for putting maps and ‘intel’ up for games, and a thin metal sheet for playing games with planes and or ships with magnets on their bases so you can play dog fights or naval engagement with out having to pull apart your games table.

I now have half of a 3 car garage as my gaming room/man cave and while it’s cold, it has my 4 x 6 foot game table set up along with a summer painting desk. At long last.

I am the same – new house with a bigger garage that is now half manclave. I just need to work on the lighting, ventilation (in summer it gets the sun all day so is very warm) and insulation (as it gets cold in winter)

repiqueone
    Participant

This might be of some help:  http://www.repiquerules.com/page2/files/tag-wargame-table-design.html   Above all keep it simple.  Keep it easy to maintain and clean.  Keep it open and comfortable.  DO NOT USE THE TABLE AS A STORAGE SURFACE!   Some gamers are very close to being hoarders.  If you have stacks of things that form aisles to navigate through the room you are lost!  Too many wargame rooms become cluttered closets and are never used for gaming!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by repiqueone.
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Yes Dad.

willz
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps, you are more than hoarders,, have them put on a garage sale instead.

---Signature removed by admin, as it is not gaming related---

Mike Galvin
    Participant

Wife suggested I get a storage building for my hobby/mancave stuff. We already have a shed which I had set up a painting area in. After loading it with excess stuff from the house, she saw it was pretty cramped,  so let me set up a painting area in a large out of the way corner of the great room. After finding miniatures and paints scattered all over the house from our 4 cats, she decided I could probably use a secure, secluded area for myself. We picked out one of those 2 storey, gabled, buildings. The bottom floor is a reference area with all my history/Wargaming books, a recliner to relax while researching and a roll top desk and a dorm sized refrigerator. I plan to put in a small wood stove for the winters. The upper floor with the stairs on the left side contains shelving along all the walls except under the 2 windows on the side opposite the stairs. That is where my 2X5 foot painting desk is set up. in the middle of the floor, extending to the stair rail is my permanent 5X8 foot table. There is storage for all large items underneath the table. I have put up a shelf to cover the top of the stairway that is not really easily accessable, and is where my fleet of 25mm ships is kept out of the way. Have had the building going on 2 years and am still working things out. That is just the way it is when you are your 3 year old Granddaughter’s favorite person. Priorities!

Enjoy your area. We few, we happy few!

Sane Max
    Participant

wisest move I made was to go out and invest in 4 decent chests of drawers of the same type from Ikea, the table goes on top – Maximum storage rather than stuff wobbling about in piles beneath the table – that and a bunch of Billy Bookcases. Figures go in box files, terrain and shite goes in drawers.

Les Hammond
    Participant

Strip lighting is horrible: go the whole hog and get decent LED lighting. With the right camera you may not need a tripod to photograph your games!

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.