Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Wargaming the War of the Pacific 1879 – 1884

Tagged: ,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author

So to accompany the article I thought I would also log the progress of my own new project.

so to begin with – I’ll need a battlefield. Not having the time to make my own terrain as customers come first, I will be purchasing most of it and supporting other small wargaming businesses and give what I can back into this niche and wonderful hobby. I also don’t have a huge amount of room to store terrain either – so home mace boards etc aren’t really viable alongside everything else.

Therefore, I purchased a lovely, lovely tablecloth material type game mat from Tiny Wargames. It’s awesome and I’m very pleased with it.

This is a 6 x 4 coastal desert map for scenarios around the Peruvian port of Pisagua.

I also plant to conduct a naval campaign alongside the land campaign and have purchased navy packs for Peru and Chile from Tumbling Dice, and very lovely these little ships are too. I am slowly painting them up in between commission work etc.

The Almirante Cochrane, a central battery ironclad of the Chilean navy steams close to the coast looking for the infamous Huáscar.

Now, no battlefield is complete without some form of human habitation, there were scattered hamlets and haciendas in this region, and all belligerents being former Spanish colonies, had a lot of Spanish influenced buildings. Therefore I purchased a few buildings from Timecast. I knew Timecast had a good reputation for quality products but I am blown away how super these buildings really are. I will be using Pendraken’s 10mm range for the land forces so these building are obviously 10mm scale. They are the Spanish farm pack, and Italian barn building from Timecast.

They such good quality and details castings. Very pleased with them and can highly recommend Timecast, as well as Tiny Wargames, and Tumbling Dice.

The other purchase, again from Tiny Wargames were desert roads – different sets of road sections printed on the same material to be cut out. They are also excellent as you can see from the picture below.

These are 15mm roads but will work just fine for a sprawling dusty desert road at 10mm.

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Jim JackamanJim Jackaman
    Participant

Excellent!

Just got my Almirante Cochrane / Blanco Encalada from Tumbling Dice..lovely models and much better than to old, smaller version.

Nice paintwork on yours too!

Thanks Jim, glad you got yours 😊. I look forward to seeing them in action.

vtsaogamesvtsaogames
    Participant

What rules will you be using for the naval and ground actions?

This too shall pass

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Will you be making railcar-mounted artillery for the battle of Chorrillos?

I found my small album of photos from when we last fought Chorrillos & Miraflores, and an AAR here.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

It’s a great period, with lots of colour and interest. Those Tumbling Dice models are super. We have used them several times: Pacific Ironclads. Still searching for the ideal rules, but Dave Manley’s rules from Wargame Vault are a good start.

I’ve mainly concentrated on the land campaign. The uniforms are colourful, especially if you have the Bolivians. We did a lot of games at the back end of last year: 1879 Games as we were working on our set of rules called “It’s Getting a Bit Chile”, which, I think, are the only set of rules written specifically for the actual campaign, rather than using generic 19th century rules. There’s somew more info about them, plus links on where you can get them here: Wargaming For Grown Up Rules.

Love the look of those 10mm buildings. If I wasn’t already committed to 15mm I’d be tempted by the Pendraken figures as they are very nice (BTW Blotz do a 15mm wind pump for your Officianas. Might be a bit big, but it’s only £3).

Best of luck. Looking forwards to seeing some AARs.

What rules will you be using for the naval and ground actions?

For the naval campaign, I will be using the Dahlgren & Colombiad rules from Wargames Vault with the campaign specific supplement for the Pacific war.

For the land battles, I will be using Trebians excellent It’s Getting A Bit Chile rules – I already have my copy ready to go and I’ve had read through as well.

Will you be making railcar-mounted artillery for the battle of Chorrillos? I found my small album of photos from when we last fought Chorrillos & Miraflores, and an AAR here. Chris Bloody Big BATTLES!

I also have the BBB rules and will give them a go as well with my miniatures for land battles 😊. Thanks for the AAR’s – they will be my Saturday afternoon reading 😊. I’ll definitely be making coastal defence batteries in 10mm! I’m trying to buy cheap N gauge track on eBay but i keep losing out at the last moment – even B gauge seems to be expensive! Might mount a Gatling Or two on a flatbed 😜.

It’s a great period, with lots of colour and interest. Those Tumbling Dice models are super. We have used them several times: Pacific Ironclads. Still searching for the ideal rules, but Dave Manley’s rules from Wargame Vault are a good start. I’ve mainly concentrated on the land campaign. The uniforms are colourful, especially if you have the Bolivians. We did a lot of games at the back end of last year: 1879 Games as we were working on our set of rules called “It’s Getting a Bit Chile”, which, I think, are the only set of rules written specifically for the actual campaign, rather than using generic 19th century rules. There’s somew more info about them, plus links on where you can get them here: Wargaming For Grown Up Rules. Love the look of those 10mm buildings. If I wasn’t already committed to 15mm I’d be tempted by the Pendraken figures as they are very nice (BTW Blotz do a 15mm wind pump for your Officianas. Might be a bit big, but it’s only £3). Best of luck. Looking forwards to seeing some AARs.

I already have your rules ready to go – these will be my primary rules for wargaming this conflict.

I have painted Pendraken figures for their website and photos should go up soon of my painting of their range which is exciting. And I have a large order on its way to me (I reinvested my commission payment in Pendraken). So I can highly recommend these figures. It’s a shame the Matchlock 28mm range hasn’t been expanded beyond a few figure codes only.
    my favourite unit from this period is a Bolivian Unit – the guard cuirassier. They are ridiculous and wonderful all at the same time!

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Excelente! Your desert mat and Almirante Cochrane look great, Gun Dog. Looking forward to watching your project develop.

(And well done Graham for encouraging people to get into WotP.)

Chris

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

Good combination  of D&G and IGABC. Dave M and I corresponded about converting the land strength points in his campaign game to IGABC battalions. Those Bolivian cuirassiers appear at the back of the table in a lot of my games, before turning round and running away.

I love the look of that cloth…very tempted.

You are right about the expense of model railway stuff. I don’t know why railway modellers put up with it.

Good combination of D&G and IGABC. Dave M and I corresponded about converting the land strength points in his campaign game to IGABC battalions. Those Bolivian cuirassiers appear at the back of the table in a lot of my games, before turning round and running away. I love the look of that cloth…very tempted. You are right about the expense of model railway stuff. I don’t know why railway modellers put up with it.

Yeah I really like the fact that you can link a naval and land campaign across the two rules.

I will definitely be fielding the cuirassier as well – like you say at the back watching the action and then probably running away!

Did you ever Wargame Daza linking up with the Peruvians instead of just turning around and going home?

The cloth is superb and I can highly recommend it. As are the buildings – I can’t get over how good the buildings are.

The expense of even N gauge is ridiculous! I will get some for the right price eventually!

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

I have put Daza on the table several times, with the Peruvians. His Command card makes him almost a hindrance if he’s in charge of the army. I have a figure for him which is mostly gold lace on a big hat.

BTW You do not know how ridiculously excited I am about the prospect of seeing an AAR written by someone else.

Ha ha yeah I’m looking forward to having President Daza “Bighat” Hilarious on the table!
    I’ll put up a read through review tomorrow – it will be a while before I can do a proper AAR/review. Probably the new year when I’ve got several units for each side painted based in between commission work.

Painted the Timecast building g up on Sunday afternoon/evening – fast painted. Along with Battlescale vines for a vineyard as there were some in the are of operations. I present the pink hacienda.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Very pretty!

Thanks very much Chris. I’m a big fan of BBB and everything you have achieved with these rules.

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

They’re nice. Pink is a good choice, as is a red leather type of colour or yellow. That’s a good range of buildings. If I didn’t have my 15mm models I might look at those, as often going one size down works well for scenery in large scale battles.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Thanks very much Chris. I’m a big fan of BBB and everything you have achieved with these rules.

That’s very kind of you to say so, thank you.

Just had a look at your FB page – more nice work. Do you ever paint 6mm armies? I’m not in the market right now – recently ordered a new army and that is probably it for a while – but 6mm painting services are quite hard to find, so it would be good to know if that’s something you do.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

BBBBlog

They’re nice. Pink is a good choice, as is a red leather type of colour or yellow. That’s a good range of buildings. If I didn’t have my 15mm models I might look at those, as often going one size down works well for scenery in large scale battles.

Thanks Trebian, appreciate the info – I will at some point get another set of these buildings from Timecast and paint them yellow I think.
    Yes I agree, going down a size for buildings does often work well – and I did consider dropping to 6mm buildings – but these ones from Timecast looked so good I couldn’t resist.

That’s very kind of you to say so, thank you. Just had a look at your FB page – more nice work. Do you ever paint 6mm armies? I’m not in the market right now – recently ordered a new army and that is probably it for a while – but 6mm painting services are quite hard to find, so it would be good to know if that’s something you do. Chris Bloody Big BATTLES! BBBBlog

Definitely up for painting 6mm. I used to have FPW armies from Baccus in 6mm – I sold them a while ago but I always received kind comments about the level of painting and I’ve been into the smaller scales since I started wargaming as a kid – my first proper Wargames purchase were Heroics & Ros napoleonics.

Speed painted a protected well and a small church today in between commission painting of course. These are superb models – perfectly cast in resin from Battlesscale – highly recommended. Again, 10mm.

vtsaogamesvtsaogames
    Participant

I have played the BBB Tacna scenario twice. 1870 French stood in for the Chileans while a motley mix of ACW and 1866 Austrians supplied the hapless Peruvians and Bolivians. The Chilean artillery was murderous both times.

This too shall pass

Thanks for the info – I look forward to giving this a try. Yeah the Chilean artillery in particular was much better handled than the allied artillery.

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

If the Chilean artillery is murderous, then I suggest that you need to tweak the scenario. Tacna is a real infantry battle. The accounts I have both note that the artillery was ineffective on both sides, the shrapnel shells burying themselves in the sand, for example. It’s a triumph for the quality and commitment of the Chilean infantry man, who prevails despite the typical Baquedano boneheaded frontal attack plan.

If the Chilean artillery is murderous, then I suggest that you need to tweak the scenario. Tacna is a real infantry battle. The accounts I have both note that the artillery was ineffective on both sides, the shrapnel shells burying themselves in the sand, for example. It’s a triumph for the quality and commitment of the Chilean infantry man, who prevails despite the typical Baquedano boneheaded frontal attack plan.

I haven’t finished writing my follow up articles yet – don’t give away the ending!!! 😜

Chris Pringle
    Participant

The BBB scenario does recognise the effect of the sand. Scenario Rule 2: “The entire battlefield is covered with soft sand which was especially unsuitable for cavalry and absorbed the impact of shells. Therefore: Cavalry always count as if in Difficult Terrain; all Artillery fire suffers 1 Left Shift.”

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

I don’t know what the effect of one left shift is. However, based on my reading of Curtis and Sater, if Chilean artillery is a battle winning weapon at Tacna, then something isn’t quite right. The Chileans bombard for several hours and hit virtually nothing. Tacna is an infantry battle. The only argument was whether Baquedano should have tried to turn the flank, rather than rush uphill in column. The Chilean infantry is certainly better (in IGABC terms they’d be Top Quality in this battle), with the Allies being a mix of standard and Poor Quality. I might also class the Allies as having “Old Rifles” to take into account their supply problems.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Oh, sure, I agree about all those factors. You may well be right that the artillery needs to be dampened down further – eg, 2 left shifts rather than 1. The scenario is a freebie draft anyway, so still in the tweakable stage. Just didn’t want you to think the relevant factors weren’t represented at all.

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

Have you thought about starting the scenario after the initial artillery bombardment?

vtsaogamesvtsaogames
    Participant

I played the scenario a few years back and don’t recall if I was using the left shift on artillery fire. Six (or was it five?) batteries of breech-loading artillery had a devastating effect as the Chilean infantry made their way forward. I was considering a scenario rule that no more than three batteries can coordinate in a single attack. Chris is right, it is in draft and liable to change.

I’m currently doing AWI scenario via Loose Files & American Scramble and am unlikely to get back to the Atatcama Desert before taking off for Maine later this month.

This too shall pass

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Actually I have some other ideas about how to make this battle more interesting to wargame. May give it a solo refight myself in the near future.

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

Make it EVEN more interesting, surely?

I like this discussion the exchange of ideas – the very best example of what Wargames forum should be.

Trebian – like your idea of beginning the battle after the bombardment a lot!

Chris – I very much look forward to seeing your ideas and scenario design to make it EVEN more interesting.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

I agree! Last night I did a solo run-through with the 2-shift penalty. That proved too rough on the Peruvian guns so I will try beefing up the Allies’ entrenchments instead. I’ve also revamped the scenario overall: merged units to give a more appropriate troop density and reduce the massed-battery effect; added a flank march option and modified victory conditions to allow more choices and different ways to win; and added a Thirst & Fatigue rule that should make it EVEN more interesting. Hope to solo that soon; if it works, I’ll post the revised scenario.

Thank you both for prompting me to do this!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

BBBBlog

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

The discussion has been great. Chris – have you thought about reducing the range of the guns so that only the Peruvian guns have an effect at close range? Recollection is that there is some nasty stuff at close range with the guns and MGs.

I like your thinking on the extra modifications. I’d be easy on the fortifications as the one reference I remember about them is that they are a bit flimsy. You might want to look at the Allied command structure. Campero had only just arrived and didn’t know his officers, so a delay in Allied units moving might be wirth thinking about.

I agree! Last night I did a solo run-through with the 2-shift penalty. That proved too rough on the Peruvian guns so I will try beefing up the Allies’ entrenchments instead. I’ve also revamped the scenario overall: merged units to give a more appropriate troop density and reduce the massed-battery effect; added a flank march option and modified victory conditions to allow more choices and different ways to win; and added a Thirst & Fatigue rule that should make it EVEN more interesting. Hope to solo that soon; if it works, I’ll post the revised scenario. Thank you both for prompting me to do this! Chris Bloody Big BATTLES! BBBBlog

What you say about the thirst and fatigue rule I think is very appropriate and I was thinking about something similar myself generally for a lot of scenarios in this conflict as supply problems significantly hampered both sides ability to operate effectively in the area of operations particularly around water supplies and dehydration that even saw some men committing suicide because of dehydration.
    It was also common for both sides units to run out of ammo, and whilst the Chileans were better at re-supply during an engagement, the allies were rarely able to – even in prepared positions where they can stack ammo they could still run short without hope of re-supply.

Also, instead of giving the allies fortifications, penalise the movement of the Chileans for moving up into the difficult ground, then they are stood longer in front of the allied infantry.

TrebianTrebian
    Participant

Also, instead of giving the allies fortifications,

although the Allies did have fortifications, so they should feature in the game, even if they’re not very good.

On the resupply point, the Chilean advantage is that they all have the same rifles as well as a commissariat that is half way decent. They looked after their kit better, as well. At one point in the battle some Peruvians, I think, run out of ammunition, and go out and grab Comblains and ammo from dead Chileans around their position.

Yes I read the same thing – the Peruvians scavenged from the dead around their positions as they had exhausted their ammo with no hope of resupply.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.