Home Forums General Blogs Wargaming Warrior Women

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve just started a new project on my blog. Under the header of Wargaming Warrior Women, I will present historical examples, discuss the availability of figures and describe scenarios.

The series kicks off with some general deliberations about how historical warrior women can be fielded in our miniature armies. Have a look here: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/wargaming-warrior-women/

For those less interested in my ramblings, there is also a bibliography and a list of figures available in 15mm and 28mm – the list will hopefully grow, so if you discover anything that’s not on there, drop me an email or a comment below!

Cheers

Shandy

Participant

Hi!

Black female archers fighting against El Cid? Yes, this actually happened. Find out more on my blog: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/01/23/nujeymahs-archers/

What’s even better, Nujeymah’s archers are now fighting in my army – and they can join yours! I’ve had figures of them sculpted by the very talented Phil Murphy and cast by Griffin Moulds. As I’ve got more than I need, they are available for purchase via my blog.

Cheers

Shandy

Keymaster

You sell figures?
    Are you listed in the Directory?

Participant

Mike, I only sell those figures… and only as long as I have some left. I don’t think I should go in the directory.

Participant

Hi!

Another article is now online. This time, I cover female gladiators. As always, it includes a list of useable figures in 28mm and 15mm.

https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/female-gladiators/

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

Shandy

Participant

Hi!

The latest installment of the series covers Gwenllian ferch Gruffydd, a Welsh noblewoman who led her men in a guerrilla campaign against the Normans in the early 12th century. Wouldn’t she make a splendid Warlord (or should I say Warlady?) for a Welsh warband for SAGA?
    Visit https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/a-welsh-warrior-woman/ for more details!

Cheers
    Shandy

Keymaster

That Bronze Age Miniatures figure is nice.

Participant

Interesting subject.

As you mention in your blog, some women can be included as “leaders”, others as “rank and file”.

Female leaders do not need fighting ability (although some of them can fight). In the late Middle Ages it happened that important women had to wear armour to inspire their troops, Joan of Arc is not the only one. Apparently it could happen if a very important noblewoman was alone to defend her lands (being a widow, or her husband being prisoner).

Jeanne de Flandres (Joanna of Flanders), wife of Jean de Montfort, is said to have worn armour when a French army besieged the Breton town of Hennebont in 1342.

Picture from a later, 15th century, source (Froissart). Note the tabard worn above the armour, it’s shaped as a female dress, and shows the arms of this lady: her husband’s arms on one side (Brittany) and her father’s arms on the other side (Flanders).

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Thanks for sharing and a good topic to explore.

I fully support diversity in the hobby and on the gaming table 🙂

Participant

Hi!

First, thanks for the great feedback, it’s really great to hear that people read the series!

The latest installment of the series is now online. It presents Artemisia, queen of Halicarnassus, who commanded a squadron of galleys in the battle of Salamis. Who says women can’t be included in naval games?

For more information, visit HERE

Now, should I go for large galleys and skirmish-sized games or small galleys and fleet battles?

The link doesn’t seem to work for some reason (despite being the correct URL as far as I can tell), but clicking the page header took me to the blog post. Interesting article! I did not know there were Greek triremes available in so many scales, or that “naval skirmish” in the sense discussed in the blog post was a concept in wargaming.

Keep up the good work!

Participant

Thanks Rhoderic! I don’t know why I always mess the links up 

About naval skirmishes: Well, some (older) ancient naval rules can be quite detailed, so I wouldn’t want to play them with too many ships… And an action like Artemisia’s escape could easily be played with half a dozen ships per side (and even three players, which would be great fun).

Participant

Shandy:

What an interesting thread! I have two 15mm armies where women are represented in the ranks. In a Guallic/Celtic army I have some women in among the men in the war bands and one of the generals is a woman with fiery red hair riding in a chariot. In a Scythian army I have women mounted as horse archers. Also in some of the generic hordes for my Bronze Age and Early Iron Age armies there are female figures in combat roles. I had never thought to do that for medieval troops but now you’ve got me thinking.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Rod, this sounds fantastic, I’d love to see some pictures! I’ll cover Celtic women and Scythians some time in the future… there have been very interesting archaeological finds of scythian warrior women.

Thanks for the kind comments, I’m glad you like the series!

Cheers

Shandy

P.S.: And thanks Mike for fixing the link!

Participant

Oh, and Rob, where did you get the female Scythian horse archers? Do you use the Xyston ones or have you found others? And what do you use for the Celtic warriors?

Participant

Shandy:

The 15mm female Skythian horse archers were from Falcon Miniatures. They were lovely little sculptures showing uniquely feminine accessories like a mirror case on the belt and a makeup container also belt mounted. The Falcon line was bought by Quartermaster but I have not heard or seen anything from either line in years.

The Celtic warriors were from two sources. The dressed warriors I cannot for the life of me remember. Some were Queen Boudicca figures from Chariot Miniatures and some were in mail. The naked females were from Museum Miniatures IIRC and are salted throughout my naked fanatics and regular warbands.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Thanks! As far as I know, Falcon Miniatures are OOP – I’ve come across them now several times, what a pity. I wish someone would do decent female Scythian horse archers, there is lot of archaeological evidence on how they looked now.

Participant

Shandy: Falcon Miniatures seem to be available at this sight:

https://www.falconfigures.com

See the PDF catalogue at the bottom left of the home page.

I checked out the Museum Miniatures page and the nude female warriors are still there. When I recall the name of the mailed women figures I will repost.

And thanks for getting me to have a look at Xyston Minis. I just ordered £ 140.00 of Thracians, Skythian foot, and Greeks! I am also eyeing their 1/600 ancient naval models.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Hm, the link to Falcon Figures doesn’t seem to work on my computer… I’ll check again later, maybe the site is down at the moment.

Hehe, always to pleasure to induce someone to buy figures… Xyston are lovely, and I’ve also been eyeing their ships.

EDIT: Seems to be a browser problem, works fine with Firefox. Thanks for the link!

Participant

Shandy

The link is working on my I-Pad. Just google Falcon Miniatures and you will find it.

cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Another one! This time, it’s Viking Warrior Women. While archaeological evidence is still inconclusive, there are lots of warrior women in Viking sagas and chronicles.Why not include some into your warband – it’s at least as plausible as having units of Berserkers or Jomsvikings. And there are new figures for them: Splintered Light has announced 15mm shield maidens and BadSquiddoGames has just released the first 28mm Viking warrior woman.
    For more information and ideas, visit https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/viking-warrior-women/

Participant

Hi!

The Haitian Revolution is an exciting period for wargaming – Napoleonic uniforms in the jungle do look neat!

The latest installment in the Wargaming Warrior Women series presents some of the female combatants which fought in the insurgents ranks. To find out more, visit https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/women-combatants-in-the-haitian-revolution/

Cheers
    Shandy

Keymaster

Some good reads there.
    Nice one!

Participant

Hi!

Another one: Harriet Tubman was an escaped slave who helped other slaves get to the North and who later worked for the Union Army:

https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/harriet-tubman-conductor-on-the-underground-railroad/

Cheers!

Participant
    Participant

And if you really want to feed your inner Xena or Diana then the following link is a must:

Nymphs and War Maidens

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.