Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s Warhammer but not as we know it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

It is not very exciting, but it is practical.
    My character sheet for roleplaying in The Old World, but using the Elric! system with some tweaks.

Character generation this Thursday.
    Will report back on what they end up with.

Sane Max
    Participant

I assume from the stats that ‘The Elric system’ is what we oldsters know as the ‘Basic Role-Playing’ system? I think that’s the best system for roleplaying games, although the original combat system took a long time to resolve people whacking each other with swords, it was good if you didnt have too much fighting, like in Call of Cthulhu

let us all know how it goes!

Mike
    Keymaster

Maybe, Elric! is early 90’s, not sure when BRP came out?
    (2009 maybe?, so could be that Elric! was first?)

I had Runequest too, but did not fancy the hit locations and a few other things, so went for Elric! but added a bit extra.

But yeah I like the lack of stating up to min/max and the way skills work and, and… well so much about it.

Kitfox
    Participant

I think the Basic Roleplaying System arrived on the scene in around 1980 and was originally intended for Runequest before being adapted for Call of Cthulhu in 1981 or thereabouts.

Death to all fanatics!

Mike
    Keymaster

Ah my bad, my free PDF of BRP is 2009 copyright, but that is just the free ‘lite’ version.
    I guess the original was indeed the original and thus ancient…

😀

Tis a nice system though.

Sane Max
    Participant

Yup, t’was essentially Runequest, always the best RPG system since it was essentially quite logical.  how hard is it? 20% chance? Beat a 20 o a d100 please.

WFRP (still own my copy amazingly) was the last of the RPG systems that seemde intent on re-inventing the wheel for no other reason than to be different.. The system isn’t the problem – it’s the GM. Look at ‘Paranoia’ – a dreadfully poor system in the original form, clunky, complex, counterintuitive – it was the GM and the players that made it a game.

Oh and hey – hit locations make sense. You keep on whacking the dragon till its damage reaches zero? Silly. ‘You hit him hard in the head’ or ‘you slice into his wing… he decides he wants to be able to fly after this either way and beats a hasty retreat! Lucky for you, adventurers. Now sadly, Michaelof seems to have suffered serious head injuries … ‘I bind it with a cloth’   yes thats nice, he does seem to be… drooling and staggering? ‘i rub his ankles and talk soothingly ‘    that’s nice…. he appears to be very sleepy and quiet…

Mike
    Keymaster

Nice, I am buying all my Oldhammer again.
    Reminds me of a sad news topic?

Hit locations do make sense, but we are going lite.
    But then Elric! has major wounds if you do enough damage in 1 strike which can take an enemy down and out without reducing them to zero HP.

Sane Max
    Participant

always worked like that – if you did double damage to a hit location than it could take, down you went. IIRC. 40 bloody years since I played it.

Reminds me of a sad news topic?

I regret every oldhammer figure I ever sold. I had a 1980’s Chaos Army which i didn’t sell. I melted it down and cast sling bullets with it. I stil have my pure Oldhammer Skaven, who fill me with pleasure every time I look upon them…. but all the others, gone but not forgotten… Metal Imperial Guard… Metal Slann… Dwarves…. Tyrannids… epic Tyrannids sold for a song…..

Sell nothing people, that’s my motto now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.