Home Forums General General Website Shipping Practices

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Guy Farrish Guy Farrish 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Does anyone know if the Consumer Contracts Regulations will stay in place when the UK leaves the EU?
    It could have a massive implication if not, as it could/would essentially mean buyer beware, unlike now.
    I am just thinking of the times where as a UK business I pay the insurance myself in case of lost/damaged items on bigger orders, whereas in the future that could up to the customer to pay.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

The direction of travel is that there will be no immediate change (and certainly no weakening) of UK consumer protection regulations.

‘UK consumer protections that are based on EU law will be retained. This means
    that when buying from traders in the UK, UK consumers will be able to rely on the
    same rights they have now after we leave the EU.’

From Factsheet 9 (Consumer Protection) on the EU (Withdrawal) Bill

EU (Withdrawal) Bill Factsheet9

Whether you believe the ‘promises’ is up the individual punter’s belief system 

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Guy Farrish Guy Farrish.
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So UK customers will be safe, no real detail about non EU people buying from UK companies though?

This is my main concern as a lot of my USA customers almost always need to pay extra for shipping due to weight which is fair enough, but if they are no longer protected in terms of missing orders, they may end up all having to pay insurance too if they want to be covered in cases of loss or damage.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Won’t the current rules stay in place until the end of the transition period in December of 2020?

greg954
    Participant

Don’t quote me on this but I’ve heard that EU laws will be integrated with UK laws. So, most laws and regulations will remain. We’ve been in the EU too long and have too many laws for it to be all unpicked. Will be a mountain of paperwork so does make sense. Assume that’s it’s staying the same.

Thomaston
    Participant

Never thought about this before and I agree with greg, to undo those laws would have too much impact on the economy.

Life's too long.

Gaz045
    Participant

The EU laws are being incorporated as they exist into UK law, the only difference being that the European Court has lost its supremacy to the UK High Court……….unless things change before the final deal!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I can’t see why the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would be overturned by leaving the EU.

In which case the duty to deliver the goods in a contract would remain with the seller (as now) and redress against any failure to deliver would remain with the seller against his contracted delivery agent (eg Royal Mail). The customer’s redress would remain against the seller, not the delivery company with whom they have no contractual relationship.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.