Home Forums General Films and TV Welcome to the Films and TV Forum

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

This is the forum for posting about films/movies and TV that you think would be of interest to gamers.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Mike.
    Cameronian
    Participant

Just watched the director’s cut of ‘Kingdom of Heaven’, the extra scenes in the first hour make sense of the whole thing, especially Orlando Bloom’s character. It is a ‘bum-number’ at over three hours 

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

kevin halloran
    Participant

A very belated reply to Cameronian.  I watched the theatrical release and couldn’t at all understand the behaviour of the Eva Green character Sibylla.  Then I watched the Director’s Cut and realised a whole major subplot involving Sibylla’s son and leprosy had been cut from the released version.  Madness as the film makes little sense with the omission.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Chris Pine to star in a “Dungeons & Dragons” movie. What do we think?

Not a franchise I’ve been impressed by so far, tbh.

So, “guaranteed turkey” or “got to be better than previous offerings?”

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

kevin halloran
    Participant

It’s an odd thing, Mike, that while the name “Dungeons & Dragons” is very familiar to me I have never played it and until your post I hadn’t realised there was a film franchise.  I remain unsure about Chris Pine.  I find his character in Star Trek annoying but suspect he’s meant to be, his character, Bernie Webber in Finest Hours irritating and I wasn’t as impressed as some people with his Robert Bruce in Outlaw King.  This last I shall have to watch again as I may be being unfair.

jeffers
    Participant

Did you know his dad is Robert Pine, the sergeant in CHiPs?

I’ve played D&D twice. The first time the ‘DUNGEON MASTER!!!’ (he was very important and wanted us all to know) spent most of his time trying to get my character killed: I later found out he had the hots for my then girlfriend, so I suppose what he couldn’t do in real life… Later somebody tried to introduce it at the club and I found more entertainment gazing aimlessly out of the window. So don’t feel you’re missing out… 😆

I suggest watching Lawrence of Arabia and The Dam Busters instead!

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

kevin halloran
    Participant

Jeffers, interesting you mention The Dam Busters as I have watched it several times in recent weeks.  The 1950s were for me a golden decade for war movies.  My lockdown watching has included The Small Back Room (OK, 1949!), A Hill in Korea, The Steel Helmet, Pork Chop Hill, Sea of Sand, Ice Cold in Alex, The Sea Shall Not Have Them and The Yangtse Incident.  I can watch any or all over and over along with numerous others unmentioned.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Your exposure to and interest in the game will, naturally, affect your interest in the films.

I discovered D&D in three book form in the mid-70s, while at university. I found the idea of a game, where the experience was more important than winning or losing and where the storytelling aspect trumped the rules, fascinating. I was soon hooked and, once life settled down, I ran Friday evening and Sunday afternoon/ evening sessions at our house for several decades. In these covid ridden times I have had to scale back to MMORPGs – Currently Elder Scrolls Online.

So, with much invested in the genre, I would dearly love to see a film that didn’t treat D&D as a joke, a frivolous waste of time or a gateway drug to satanism!

I have much hope, but less expectation! 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

I would dearly love to see a film that didn’t treat D&D as a joke,

Indeed, as I have lamented many a time, way too many fantasy films have comedy side kicks and ridiculous scenes, I have mentioned some of what I feel are the better fantasy films on my blog:

https://theburningsands.blogspot.com/

Mike Headden
    Participant

On the war films made during and just after the war, I started watching things my Dad and I had watched together on Saturday afternoons during my teenage years in the aftermath of his death a couple of years ago. All these years on, I found the sanitised view of war and the gung-ho jingoism of so many of them jarring.

On Chris Pine. Liked him as Kirk in the Star Trek movies and also as Robert in Outlaw King. Wasn’t much taken with Finest Hours but through no fault of Pine.

kevin halloran
    Participant

Fair points on Chris Pine, Mike.  I think it’s Kirk I find annoying rather than Pine and as I said I will have to watch Outlaw King again.  As to the films I mentioned I don’t think they are sanitised and only the last two are perhaps a little jingoistic!  The Small Back Room, for example, has a lead character who is a self-pitying alcoholic and it portrays the War Ministry and wider government in a poor light.  A Hill in Korea is decidedly downbeat and Pork Chop Hill to me is primarily about the utter pointlessness of the mission.

kevin halloran
    Participant

Looking for something on The Wars of the Roses yesterday I stumbled across a YouTube video of a Timeline production I watched a few years ago.  It’s called The Bloodiest Battle Ever Fought in Britain: The Battle of Towton 1461.  I will watch it again but as I remember it the battle scenes were terrific.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.