Home Forums Modern West German static defences?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Iain Fuller
    Participant

One for anyone who was in Germany during the 80’s (I am doing some googling too but thought I’d ask too) …

Did the West Germans have any static defences such as concrete bunkers at bridges etc?

Also, given time, would it be feasible for them to have made log bunkers?

I’m making some dug in infantry bases for a Cold War game we are putting on at Salute and wanted to get an idea if its worth cracking on with a couple of bunker pieces that I’ve started as well.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Iain Fuller.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Iain Fuller.
    Iain Fuller
    Participant

Cheers Tim, I can’t find any pics in my Google search either. Oh well, guess I’ll just keep them for something else.

MartinR
    Participant

The stay behind chaps had massive bunkers to hide in, and lots of the planned defensive positions were pre dug too. Iirc the main preparation of bridges were ready built chambers for the insertion of demolition charges.

A bunker next to a bridge would be fairly obvious, the positions were concealed. My pal Lutz was in the Bundeswehr, he said he spent pretty much all his duty time in a bunker.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Guy Farrish
    Participant

The West German Government was reluctant to build permanent/semi permanent positions that gave the political message that the IGB was a permanent de facto division of the country. So while tank scrapes in hull down positions were prepared, fields of fire maintained, roads built with possible tank positions in mind in some places and stay behind bunkers built, they tried to avoid too obvious defensive constructions. Infrastructure (like Martin says with bridges) were built with some preparation for demolition or defence in mind, but I don’t think you are going to find many constructions like the ones you are thinking of. They were too politically sensitive.

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Thanks for the info chaps. I’ll probably not use them in this game then, shame as I’m quite pleased with them!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.