Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Westphalian Guard Grenadiers Organisation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can anyone help me out with the organisation of the Westphalian Guard Grenadier battalion?  Did it follow the six company organisation of the line battalions or was it organised into a four company battalion like the Old Guard grenadiers?

Thanks

Stephen

Participant

I believe that it was a 6 companies of 116 men organisation – I’ll check another source in a bit.

Participant

Thanks Iain, much appreciated.

Stephen

Participant

No probs Stephen.

I checked in ‘With Eagles to Glory’ and that said the same. The Garde-Jager had 6 also and was not armed with rifles, the rifle armed Jager-Carabinier had only 4 companies though and apparently was the real elite unit in the army, I’d put the Gd Grens and Gd Jgr a step lower. It is a nice balanced army the Westphalians and not as bad as most people think, by 1812 they were quite a competent force – afterwards is a different matter though, about as reliable as a wicker bucket.

Participant

Thanks Iain,

I recently picked up some of the Guard Grenadiers on eBay and I wanted to check the organisation to make sure I had got the right number of figures before I started painting them.  I can’t wait to get going on this lot.  I love their uniforms.

I hadn’t really planned to create a Westphalian army but I seem to have picked up a fair few of them along the way.  So I think now may be the time to get on with it.

Stephen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.