Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy WFB – Long term plans

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

So. I am currently playing WFB 3rd edition in 10mm due to space constraints. However in maybe 7 years or so we hope to move to a place that will allow a permanent 6×4 table set up.

This will mean 25/28mm WFB!!

I am not fussed about official GW models due to the cost, but I do want to maintain the old 3rd edition style. My question then is what models can I buy now and stockpile that have that old 80’s – 90’s GW vibe.

I am not 100% sure what armies yet, but probably from Empire, Orcs and Dwarves.

Mike6t3
    Participant

The Old Grenadier Miniatures range may do. Now sold by a variety of companies and not under the Grenadier label. EM4 Miniatures and Forlorn Hope Games in the UK to name a couple.

Alternative Armies do a variety of 25/28 mm Fantasy stuff some of which could be used.

Also look at Scotia Grendel and Black Tree Designs (but Black Tree have a bad mail order reputation so beware)

Get there fastest with the mostest and roll highest.

Mike

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Talking to other gamers of late and apparently evilbay often has old, cheap GW plastics for sale, so worth checking out. Not sure how old school you want to go on the sculpts though.

Geof Downton
    Participant

Why bigger figures rather than bigger armies?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m with Geof. Bigger 10mm armies sounds better.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

Why bigger figures rather than bigger armies?

More character and more authentic feels.
    A lot of my 10mm looks like generic fantasy and the stuff that has an Empire feel to it required a fair bit of conversion work.
    Much easier to buy it with the correct look already.

Plus I am sure it will be quite cool to pick up models I used back in the day and use them again.

Geof Downton
    Participant

Plus I am sure it will be quite cool to pick up models I used back in the day and use them again.

I can see the appeal of that. On the rare occasions I find a figure I used to have my NHS pension displays its inadequacy!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Steven Francis
    Participant

I would say more smaller armies at any scale. The best games are generally narrative ones, and when we always tried to play large games years ago they were quite hollow and ended up not being much fun.

But I totally agre with the lack of character in generic fantasy in many things. TBH that is why I dislike historical games…they generally lack distinction both in models and how things work. I know it is there but Saxons/Vikings and Norman’s fell all the same really…

I do wonder if Reaper bones may be something to look into. Not the same distinct style of GWs 1990 but good sculpts and some larger models to use?

Mr. Average
    Participant

There’s always the answer “Both.”  Microworld’s 3mm and 6mm lines have both a lot of WHFB flavor and the ability to field titanic armies.  I’m a particular fan of the 6mm Fantasy Renaissance army which is a lovely match to the Empire (although mine are from the Florentine Republic).

You may now commence your eye-roll sequence.

If you compromised at 15mm, Rebel Minis has a nice range that’s fairly affordable, as well.  At that scale you begin to get more of the “character” you might be looking for – and some historicals from Khurasan might begin to look the part, too, and their line is extensive enough to mix and match to get what you’re looking for.

Steven Francis
    Participant

Demonworld definitely have the older WHFB style at 15mm for a good few armies….if you want to change scales.

Logain
    Participant

Hmm…. maybe Mirlton? It definitely seems like 28mm moved away from that look. Although I have seen a bunch of goblin and orc kickstarters (Kevin Adams, darkhold etc). I think the Lead Adventure Forum had a fantasy range that might have good figures for Empirecharacters.

Gaz
    Participant

Ral Partha are another old school 25/28mm manufacturer worth checking out. Lots of Kev Adam’s sculpts. If you are after cheap armies have a look at Warrior or Battlezone miniatures.

Logain
    Participant
    Andrew Beasley
    Participant

How about some of the Prince August ‘cast your own‘ range?

They are mainly 25mm so maybe too small but there is a small range of larger elves now.

Mike
    Keymaster

Thanks all. Lots of planning and research to be done.

mark leslie
    Participant

Alternative Armies do a variety of 25/28 mm Fantasy stuff some of which could be used.

Bought some samples from the AA Fantasy Warlord range some time ago. The Orcs (definitely 28’s) and Goblins are really lovely sculpts. Very reminiscent of Oldhammer and look to have stepped straight out of a piece of Gary Chalk art.

ian pillay
    Participant

This is a great topic. I am slowly rebuilding / collecting WHFB armies not sure which version of the rules to use just yet. I have all of them from the Island of Blood to 1st edition. As to the size of my armies I am aiming for between 1000 – 1500 points. Not that I done mind huge armies but I just don’t have the space. For huge armies I am sticking with Warmaster. Currently I am slowly rebasing, adding to and touching up my Norse. Luckily I found the wargame foundry still do some of the old citadel ranges and the Norse are part of that. It means I can bulk out / finish off some of my units.  You can see what I am up to on my blog https://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

As to the look of the old school miniatures, some of links are really useful, thanks for sharing.

I would like to add Lancer Miniatures to the list. I like the look of the orcs

https://lancerminiatures.com/product-category/28mm/28mm-orcs/

Cheers

Ian

Tally-Ho!

Mike
    Keymaster

Lancer OFC, I did not even think which is annoying as I have some of his 10mm!!

His orcs look just right.

Mike
    Keymaster

I am looking for a single brand of dark elves so I can have the same style and size for the army.
    The old Mirliton seem good, but I am worried the cast on integral bases are bigger than a plastic slota-base, anyone any ideas?

https://www.campaign-game-miniatures.com/dark-elves/dark-elf-spearmen-1133.html

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I’ve not seen them but this shows the command dark elves compared to other figures and they look large.

Maybe keep a search running on eBay and see if any show up?

Angel Barracks

So I ordered some 28mm dark elves from Ebay and Samantha and I had a look, and after a conversation we have decided not to pursue 28mm but to stick with 10mm as Samantha likes the idea of 10mm on a 6×4 table with epic scenery and games that could take days due to the sheer volume of models and epicness.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Good plan.  I like small figure size games on big tables where you can have some maneuver room*, really does indeed feel epic!

*and sometimes too much and get yourself into trouble.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Sane Max
    Participant

Having recently stripped and repainted my Oldhammer Skaven, and also added a few bits to units I thought too small,  and thus endured the arse-clenching prices the figures go for on ebay, I think you have made a very wise decision 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

I think I secretly wanted to do 10mm, but just had to get some 28mm old GW just to be sure.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I think I secretly wanted to do 10mm, but just had to get some 28mm old GW just to be sure.

Wait a couple of years till the new ‘old hammer’ comes out from GW – you may be tempted if the cost is right…

I do agree about the table though – the smaller figures do look ‘right’ on a smaller sized table and WOW on larger ones.

Thomaston
    Participant

You’ve got me interested in 10mm fantasy again.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

You’ve got me interested in 10mm fantasy again.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.