Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy WFRP 1st Edition and why I like it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

WFRP was dark and grim and a successful adventure was one where you did not catch some disease and the reward was a dry bed to sleep in and some fresh bread.

It was not about saving the world, it was not about rescuing the princess, it was about leaving your farm and saying goodbye to tedium and then wondering if you had made the right choice.

It was exploration, questionable ethics, likeable villains, terrible villains, fallible heroes, it was wet and damp, it was a world of hidden foes and political machinations, it was foul and depressing, it was warm ale and mud and it was glorious.

If you got into too many fights and took proper damage from them, even if it did heal later, you could still get emotional damage. Phobias, ticks, all manner of psychosis.

Honestly if done a certain way it was grim, but also doing it that way, the tiniest rays of light and hope could make your day.

Starving, wet, cold, tired, feet aching from walking, boots rubbing your heels raw, sleeping under the cart you are hitching a ride on at night.

Trudging through wet clawing dank forests where the leaves brush against your face like the clammy fingers of dead men, the distant sound of the howls of wolves, wondering at night if the camp fire you managed to keep alight in this cursed constant drizzle will deter the wolves?

Then hearing the squeals of the wolves and suddenly now you are worried about what the wolves are afraid of…

Surviving the night and carrying along the Imperial highways, past the corpses of mutant children nailed to black twisted trees along with the defiled corpses of the parents who tried to shelter them as warnings to others.

Crooked road wardens who demand a tax, and then stalk you from a distance.

Overgrown and dilapidated road side shrines to the old gods who are oft forgotten in favour of Sigmar, the old ways sometimes seen as witchcraft.

Finally making it to your destination, the logging village of Flensburg only to find that beastmen burnt it to the ground four months ago.

It is all too much and now you are coming down with the coughing sickness.

In a world such as this, feeling the sun on your face, finding an inn with warm food and fire, a dry place to sleep, a lock on the door. If you are lucky maybe even a bath, and if you are even luckier, a warm bath.

It is these little things that can be as great a reward as fame and fortune if done well.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Participant

I was once told that WHFRP 1ED was a distillation of the place and time it was written.  Quite desolate and hopeless it seems.

I’m with you, Mike.  I’ve never been fond of the “saving the world/plane/universe” tropes, and especially prophecies.  I too like my game gritty, especially fantasy or cyberpunk.  I get that most people want an escape from the day to day grind of needing to survive in the real world, and that’s why epic stories appeal to them, but I am more interested in things that are a bit more realistic, in motivations and morality.  I am also quite jaded so that sort of bleakness that appeals to me isn’t for everyone.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I like the WFRP 1e setting too – and I still play it reasonably regularly. It seemed to capture the imagination of a lot of people although it was always walking a tightrope of ‘place that was very interesting to adventure in’ against ‘place that was designed for fantasy armies to battle in’ and later editions proved that could be fallen off.  I don’t think I have ever played the world ‘quite’ as dark as you seemed to Mike, but pretty close.

Over time, my WFRP 1e world has changed somewhat, going in the opposite direction to the battle game. The goblinoids, skaven, beastmen and fimir are much less prevalent, hidden in the dark.

But funnily enough the WFRP 1e could be used the other way: all the tools exist for ‘classic’ fantasy dungeon crawls and hex crawl type play too. But the setting got highly defined by the adventures and the fiction written for it.

Keymaster

I don’t think I have ever played the world ‘quite’ as dark as you seemed to Mike, but pretty close.

It was only of late that I did it like that, as a teen it was less so.
    I know what you mean about the WFRP VS WFB aspect too, the novels also took inspiration from WFRP and it’s system for combat and so on.
    There are clear nods to the games and its mechanics in the stories.

Participant

There are clear nods to the games and its mechanics in the stories.

Not enough game related fiction does this.  Too often it’s the other way around, or completely non-related with no way to replicate on the table what goes on in the fiction.  Apparently that is part of the reason the realistic Harn rules were created, to get tabletop and fiction results to match.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

That is the sort of RPG I like to relate to. In fact the above could easy relate to a day in the life of say…a medieval peasant or a pilgrimage. A reflection on a hard world, simple survival.

Keymaster

Hey, WB!!
    I was thinking about you the other day!

oooer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.