Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy WFRP v1 Power Behind the Throne Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Participant

My children recently asked to give WFRP a go and they have really enjoyed the first couple of sessions.  We have finished the Oldenhaller Contract and now we a re looking at playing the Enemy Within.  Whilst going over the old material, I found an issue that has slightly confused me: what is the point of the “level of influence” rating given for the NPCs in “Power Behind the Throne”?  As far as I can work out, the PCs will never get to influence the Graf in that way – if they succeed in the adventure, the Graf will do what needs to be done without being persuaded.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

darthfozzywig
    Participant

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Enemy Within campaign, and have gone through it once as a player (back in ’88-91 or so), and have run it twice.

I’ve also GMed for years, and I’ll say Power Behind the Throne was one of, if not the, most challenging adventure for me to run. It’s got a LOT of NPCs to manage, each with their own agenda, knowledge, timetable, etc.

Lots of spoilers:

Not exactly. Persuading the Graf to change the destructive policies requires a majority of influence (essentially “votes”) from the NPCs. The players – through the various means available in the adventure – need to secure the loyalties/favor of NPCs with a sufficient total influence in order for the Graf to change course.

Some of those NPCs will come to support the PCs via good roleplaying, convincing them of the danger, etc., but many of the major influencers are being blackmailed or otherwise controlled by the Purple Hand. By uncovering and foiling those plots, the PCs gain the loyalty or favor of the grateful NPC, who in turn is willing and able to help persuade the Graf.

The easiest to meet – the Elven master of the Hunt, for example – have the lowest influence with the Graf, but are often gateways to the higher-ups at Court. Befriending them is usually a critical first step.

I highly recommend printing out copies of the NPC illustrations as handouts to help your players keep everyone straight.

A handout of the (publicly-known) festival events is also good for the players to have, since it helps them know their options as to where and when they can observe or participate in the activities…and then run into key NPCs.

You definitely need keep a good copy of the event schedule on hand, clearly marked as to which NPCs are where at any given time. The whole adventure depends on the PCs being actively involved in the festivities and getting to meet the right people at the right time.

If they are not proactive, or if they (or you!) are easily overwhelmed by the sheer number of NPCs and options, the Purple Hand will pull off a big win in Middenheim, which will make for interesting politics in the future…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by darthfozzywig.
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Not exactly. Persuading the Graf to change the destructive policies requires a majority of influence (essentially “votes”) from the NPCs. The players – through the various means available in the adventure – need to secure the loyalties/favor of NPCs with a sufficient total influence in order for the Graf to change course.

I understand this is the idea – but I can’t see how it ever comes to that (I’ve played it as a player before, about 25 years ago, first time GMing).  The PCs presumably can’t persuade the Graf before the events of the final night – but if they unmask the plot, they won’t need to influence anyone.  And the book doesn’t seem to suggest any point when such a meeting might happen.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.