Home Forums Ancients What are you working on at the moment?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

No recent painting to show sadly, but I have been pottering around with an interlocking carpet tiles terrain project. What’s everyone else up to at the moment? Painting, terrain, prep, research? Retail therapy…? Gaming?

Cheers,

Aaron

Mike
    Keymaster

Quick question, as this is in the Ancients forum, is it only Ancients you want to know about?

Yeah, but if people want to talk about other projects that’s fine too.

Angel Barracks

Fair enough.
    Are you aware of the general what are doing topic?

Sorry, no, I wasn’t. Just delete the thread if you like.

Mike
    Keymaster

No no, if you want to keep this for ancients that is cool.
    But if you want to keep it to one generic topic that is also cool.

Your call sir.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Aaron:

Right now in Ancients I’m painting more 15mm generic hordes for a number of my biblical armies and some Skythian auxilia and bowmen to finish off these demons of the steppe. Out of this period I’m working on WWII and Cold War forces. Early War Germans and Soviet CW Airborne units. All these are in 15mm too.

How about yourself? What’s on your to do list other than carpet tiles?

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I’m doing some real 15mm figures for a change, for War of the Roses (does that count as Ancients here?).  Also working on terrain tiles for a new square grid playing surface and some 18th Century Imagi-nations, again in real 15mm, not my Cutie stuff.

OB
    Participant

Late Roman command bases like this one.

Roman Command

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Wow, some good stuff going on from you all. Rod, I’ve got Greeks, Greeks, more Greeks, Greeks, and Macedonians to do (all in 15mm), but have seriously lost my painting mojo this year. Victoria, I love those ‘cute’ tanks and figures on your blog. What are you using to cast them? And War of the Roses definitely counts as Ancients!  OB – I trust there are plenty of the rank and file for the big cheeses to order around as well…?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Victoria, I love those ‘cute’ tanks and figures on your blog. What are you using to cast them?

The figures are in lead, the vehicles in resin plaster, glad you liked them. 🙂

The figures are in lead, the vehicles in resin plaster, glad you liked them. 🙂

I’d probably never cast my own lead, but that resin plaster looks like it would have all kinds of uses. Have followed your blog, and will enjoy seeing that project (and others, no doubt!) as it progresses. Thanks for the info!

Shaun Travers
    Participant

My only ancient gaming is that in March I set up the SPI 1973 Fall of Rome solo boardgame ready to play through a few scenarios (prefer the 1973 version to the later 1997 redesign).  And then I got distracted…

It is still setup ready to go!

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

My only ancient gaming is that in March I set up the SPI 1973 Fall of Rome solo boardgame ready to play through a few scenarios (prefer the 1973 version to the later 1997 redesign). And then I got distracted… It is still setup ready to go!

At least you don’t have to worry your opponent is still waiting for you to make the first move. 🙂

Shaun Travers
    Participant

At least you don’t have to worry your opponent is still waiting for you to make the first move. 🙂

LOL.  The longest I had set up a solo game and waited for the other player to make the first move was two years (Steve Jackson’s Battle of the Bugle).  The next longest I think was about 6 months with a 15mm ancients game.  It is annoying as it takes up space in the maps drawers where I have them setup.  The other player does not seem to care and uses that old gaming excuse “distraction on other projects” 🙂

OB
    Participant

Sure Aaron, they are for the British Garrison who are all done now.  Here are some of them.

Roman

OB

I’ve not painted ancients in a while.  Quite frankly, it’s been a couple of months since I picked up a brush.  The last 15mm ancients I painted were Seleucid Cataphracts…about 1/3 done.  I’ve been doing some car model vehicles for the Western Desert (WW2).  I also have 1/72 scale plastic Fantasy on the paint table.  Most of the busy life of the house has past so I can see getting back to painting soon.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

I know that set up and leave it feeling, Shaun…

Nice figures, OB. I have heaps of Late Romans that I got in a trade. A real mix of Minifigs, Essex, Tabletop (?) and other odds and bods. They are to use with Dux Bellorum when they are finally done, but it’ll probably take me a while to get round to them yet. What figures are you using? I can’t quite place them. Those are grand buildings, too.

John – I’ve not painted a figure since December. Yes, that bad 🙂

PatG
    Participant

A bit paralysed on Ancients at the moment. I have Alexandrians and Marians in 6mm but I can’t seem to commit to a basing standard.

A bit paralysed on Ancients at the moment. I have Alexandrians and Marians in 6mm but I can’t seem to commit to a basing standard.

Ah yes, tough one. I reckon 60×30 looks great for 6mm, but there are lots of things to consider. Good luck!

OB
    Participant

The figures are Donnington Late Romans Aaron, I find it an excellent range.  The buildings were bought unpainted from ebay I’ve no idea who made them despite a bit of investigating.

Victoria’s War of the Roses mention above reminded me I’ve two Donnington New Era 100 Years War Lion Rampant Retinues to do.  Heraldry in 15mm-gulp.

OB

Thanks OB – Will keep Donnington in mind. I have two 15mm Black Hat 100 Years War armies to do, so sounds like we’re in a similar boat!

Rob young
    Participant

Persian Immortals with cavalry temporarily abandoned… but haven’t painted any of them for a few days now. No excuses.

Rob

https://easterngarrison.blogspot.co.uk/

Rob Young

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Persian Immortals with cavalry temporarily abandoned… but haven’t painted any of them for a few days now. No excuses. Rob https://easterngarrison.blogspot.co.uk/

Persians are an army I’ve always wanted, though I can’t decide between the ones to fight the Greeks or the ones to face Alexander.  Probably ought to do both… 🙂

Rob young
    Participant

I don’t really differentiate, but that’s mainly because they’re like Topsy – they growed!

I started with quite a few, then bought Harry Pearson’s collection. His Persian army did a Review once:
    http://parumpugna.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/great-kings-diamond-jubilee-parade.html

Of course, I also started casting and converting like mad, so lots of Garrison figures appeared. I also did a Review of my Persians once:
    https://easterngarrison.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-grand-review-first-photos.html

That was 2 years ago; don’t think I could do a similar review now!

Rob

Rob Young

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Very impressive army. 🙂

Rob young
    Participant

Thank you.

Rob

Rob Young

My current project is 15mm Iron Age fantasy — Copplestone casting barbarians and dwarves, mostly, but also touching up some of my old 15mm Black Raven Foundry and Old Glory stuff to accompany them.

http://leadnobleed.blogspot.com.br/2017/05/and-now-for-something-completely.html

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

That’s a massive army, Rob! Would hate to think how many hours of painting you put into those 🙂

And Thaddeus, those dwarves and barbarians are magnificent.

Rob young
    Participant

Thanks.

To be fair, 3 things about painting time:

Bought my first lead figures in 1970, so spread out over a long time. Having said that, lot more done in the last 10 years.

Acquired Harry Pearson’s collection plus a lot more on ebay – these old figures I like are ridiculous, often just pay 50p or so each for painted figures I only need to touch up.

Bulk paint figures quickly and to a wargames rather than collectors standard – I go for mass effect wow factor rather than close-up wow factor. This is at least partly because eyes aren’t up to it any more…

Rob

Rob Young

willb
    Participant

Working on an army for Carthage, some barbarian hordes, upgrading Sassanids and Byzantines, and some Italians.

Greg M
    Participant

Plans?  I always have plans…

Plan #1 is Romans and Britons in 28mm plastic.  Victrix just needs to launch their barbarians for this one to move from plan to project.  I will be using DBA as the rules.

Plan #2 is more nebulous.  EA Persians vs. Greeks.  The topic is well-covered in 15mm but I am not certain if I can paint the lil blighters anymore.  I have some FiB Persians; I should try to paint and see what happens.  This plan is also slated for DBA.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.