Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming What fallout should have been

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The Outer Worlds,  is what fallout should be.

Take a fallout game, set it in space. Remove all the horrible Bethesda incompetence.

Add a good story with good characters, and a hint of the knights of the old republic.

And you get the Outer Worlds.

Earth has colonised a solar system.  And quite frankly it’s badly run, corporations control everything with ruthless and incompetent capitalism. Starvation and plague is every day occurrences outside of the capital city were the rich live.

You yourself has been struck in a cryo pod for 70 years as the corporations found it unprofitable to thaw you and hundreds or others.

A rogue terrorist/scientist saves you because he needs your help to rescue the others.

I didn’t like the shooting mechanics early in the game but later you get more effective weapons and the gameplay pics up.

You have all the standard RPG stuff,  but even none combat skills like say science, gives you passive buffs in combat.

Also the companion system is taken right out of the early bioware games (like KOTOR 2)

You can have two companions with out on missions.  And as you travel your ship gets filled with a crew.

And they are have their stories and quests,  ranging from one of them having a crush on a station captain and being all awkward about it.

To getting mixed up in a violent insurgency.

Also you can get it for a buck.

If you register with xbox game pass on your pc (which cost a buck) you can play it.

That’s what I did, but I’ll buy it later when it comes out on steam.  To support a developer that give you a great game. With no hidden costs (like loot boxes and micro transactions)

Keymaster

I have been looking at this, my initial thought was that it has the attitude of the borderlands games.
    I am a bit tempted.

The graphics someitne looks a little borderlandsish.

But that’s the only similarity.

It’s a proper RPG, there are only a few dozen guns(and fewer types of armor) so it’s not a looter shooter, were it’s all about the gear.

It’s basically fallout mixed with knights of the old republic.  You can avoid a lot of violence with enough points in the various speech skills. I got very far with them. Until I met a guard that required 75 intimidation to get past. Long story short. All guards in the capital city are dead now, all because of one over achiever guard just couldn’t accept my ID.

Participant

I’ve got my eye on this game, waiting for Steam edition.  Does look quite good!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ha. I was meaning to start a thread about this game. Started playing it the hour it launched. I have one or two peeves about it (they went very heavy on the tongue-in-cheek humour in the worldbuilding, and I’m still undecided about whether the gameworld looks rather “samey” as I travel from region to region), but on the whole I like it a lot.

I would describe it as a cross between Fallout, No Man’s Sky, Borderlands, BioWare games (The KOTOR and Mass Effect series) and what I imagine Firefly would have been like as a video game. It’s more Fallout than anything else, though. The gameplay feels extremely “Fallout” and even the setting has a bit of a post-apoc vibe despite this being more of a space western than a proper post-apoc story. Not to mention the retro-futuristic touches that deliberately throw the worldbuilding a bit off-balance in a fun way (the only difference being that in The Outer Worlds it’s more interwar / dieselpunk whereas Fallout is famously 50s-styled / atompunk). Of course, the game has some actual Fallout in its pedigree despite not being a Bethesda title.

As for the other games (and the TV series) I mentioned: The No Man’s Sky similarity is mostly just in the alien landscapes and wildlife. The Borderlands similarity is in a lot of the aesthetic and the somewhat irreverent, rascally attitude that pervades the game. The similarity to BioWare games is, as you say, in some aspects of gameplay where it departs a bit from the Fallout formula, especially in regard to companions. As for Firefly, it surely must have been a significant source of inspiration for the devs. Marauders, for instance, are Reavers in every conceivable way. The Unreliable feels a lot like the Serenity. Parvati, the first companion, is pretty much a variation on Kaylee. I say that approvingly.

Participant

I will likely never be able to play this game as my laptop is not amazing and I have no desire or need to upgrade to something more powerful. Is this game going to be something that will be entertaining to watch as a play though? How open world is it? Is there a linear single player story?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.