Home Forums General General What is your most obsessive thing?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Shhh… don’t tell anyone but gamers can be a tad obsessive. I often tell people to paint to their own level of obsession–it’s the only way to hobby happiness. But I may have crossed the line.

I just spent two+ hours giving 90 white golf tees two coats of white paint and a coat of gloss finish. Why? I want to use them as ‘moved’ markers in a game and didn’t want the florescent orange golf-tee-logo showing.

So what’s your most obsessive act? (Please keep it gaming related 😉 )

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I am pretty fixated on the ‘right’ color paint. I have a significant number of specialized naval paint sets and way too many Polish crimson and French aurore given that scale, lighting and primer color probably make ‘right’ a silly concept not to mention real world dirt, grime, fading and wear.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Other gamers touching my figures with greasy and or dirty hands after eating.

Participant

Collecting rule books, both dead tree and electronic. I have that many I wouldn’t be able to play all of them of them one day after another in a decade!

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

I “collect” plastic plants for terrain-crafting. I probably have nearly 100 different varieties by now. Furthermore, I’m rarely happy with the way they look in their original form, so I cut them up and “reassemble” them, leaf by leaf, blade by blade, frond by frond, into more realistic shapes. Most of them being made of oily plastic that doesn’t take glue or paint well, I spend a lot of time experimenting with different glues, paints and techniques for finding best practices. I’m fully aware I must seem a bit deranged even to other hobbyists.

Related to this is a slightly obsessive tendency I have for studying phyllotaxis and other subjects to do with the shapes and growth patterns of plants, specifically for purposes of crafting miniature terrain. I’ve gotten a lot of weird looks from strangers when I’ve been staring intently at, or frantically taking photos of, plants while out and about. Last time I visited a botanical garden I took over 300 photos.

This also extends in milder forms to studying and photographing other things in the real world as terrain-crafting and scenery-crafting reference material, such as geology or historical architecture. Typically when I visit some place such as a medieval castle or an area of dramatic rock formations, I take a couple hundred photos or more, none of them with people in it if I can help it. My sole interest in taking photos lies in its applications for the miniatures gaming hobby.

Participant

Basing.  I measure, mark, and then obsessively place my figures so that each base comes out in as nearly perfect ranks or formations as I can manage.  Then I blend the little pedestals the guys stand on into the basing grit.  I hate the look of guys standing on platforms on terrain – as near as possible I always try to make that go away.

Participant

…weird looks from strangers when I’ve been staring intently at, or frantically taking photos of, plants…

Not sure why you get weird looks – all seems perfectly normal to me…

That said my obsession is with collecting stones, dirt or other detritus from specific, relevant locations for basing.

Amongst other things I have painted aliens and based them on dirt from Roswell and Yorick’s skull on dirt from Kronborg Castle, the inspiration for Elsinore. My Hebrew army is based with soil from Megiddo, and I have dirt from The Alamo waiting for me to paint Davy Crockett and stones from the Place de la Concorde in case I get a guillotine one day.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

…weird looks from strangers when I’ve been staring intently at, or frantically taking photos of, plants…

Not sure why you get weird looks – all seems perfectly normal to me…

It’s the intense concentration with which I stare at the plants, often very close up. It probably looks like I’m attempting to commune telepathically with them. Or pyrokinesis maybe. Something like that, anyway 🙂

Participant

Nah! Still seems normal…

…’though with me it tends to be trees rather than smaller stuff!

Participant

I spend an awful lot of time working out how to base my units so the command stands and colours are at the centre. I lose it when others line up my toys with the command stand in the wrong place.

”The middle! It goes in the %@#*#%ing middle! Why is that so £&*£#@ing difficult!!!!” 😖😫😤🤬

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

I’m not obsessive at all.

Participant

Numerical snippets on the operational performance of weapons and people in combat.

It would be nice to have more than odd snippets, but that’s what there is.

All the best,

John.

Participant

My obsession is with detail.  I want to know everything about my chosen areas of interest, right down to the lowest level.  And I want books about that detail right here on my bookshelves.  If Osprey published “German Army Shoelaces  of Operation Zitadelle 1943” I’d buy a copy.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Amongst other things I have painted aliens and based them on dirt from Roswell and Yorick’s skull on dirt from Kronborg Castle, the inspiration for Elsinore. My Hebrew army is based with soil from Megiddo, and I have dirt from The Alamo waiting for me to paint Davy Crockett and stones from the Place de la Concorde in case I get a guillotine one day.

Splendid! I have not previously (outside the MEXE soil survey) encountered a soil nerd, but that, I reckon, is True Grit.

I am reminded of a cartoon from “Military Modelling”, or possibly “Battle for Wargamers”, back in the old-timey times, that showed one bloke scrutinising another’s model of a hoplite with a tremendously close scrute, and saying “The dust under the toenails is the wrong colour for Thermopylae”.

I trust and believe that if that were to happen to you, you would catch the pontificating pedantic prodnose a smart thwack athwart the sinciput and declaim in stentorian tones “It’s *from* Thermopylae, you buffoon!”

All the best,

John.

Participant

arrows from bows, bolts from crossbows, bullets from slings and javelin effects are measured in the shooting phase.  They aren’t fired, they cannot be fired, fire has no place in launching such missiles.  NO FIRE…has everybody got that?

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Participant

I trust and believe that if that were to happen to you, you would catch the pontificating pedantic prodnose a smart thwack athwart the sinciput and declaim in stentorian tones “It’s *from* Thermopylae, you buffoon!”

Yep! All true, except for the stentorian bit. I’d try, but suspect it would come out as a nasal whine…

Participant

arrows from bows, bolts from crossbows, bullets from slings and javelin effects are measured in the shooting phase. They aren’t fired, they cannot be fired, fire has no place in launching such missiles. NO FIRE…has everybody got that?

piffle. I have SEEN Historical PROOF that they are fired. and usually fired while on fire. How else are you going to set the enemy soldiers on fire? Unless you have a dragon of course

Participant

arrows from bows, bolts from crossbows, bullets from slings and javelin effects are measured in the shooting phase. They aren’t fired, they cannot be fired, fire has no place in launching such missiles. NO FIRE…has everybody got that?

piffle. I have SEEN Historical PROOF that they are fired. and usually fired while on fire. How else are you going to set the enemy soldiers on fire? Unless you have a dragon of course

…you’re a loony 🙂

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Participant

My obsession is with detail. I want to know everything about my chosen areas of interest, right down to the lowest level. And I want books about that detail right here on my bookshelves. If Osprey published “German Army Shoelaces of Operation Zitadelle 1943” I’d buy a copy.

Well that’s just ridiculous ….. of course if it was “Sandal Straps From Sumer To The Fall Of The New Kingdom” that would be a whole other matter! 😉

It’s not obsession deephorse, it’s a sensible level of interest in your period! 😀

“Enquiring minds want to know”

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.