Home Forums General General So What's On the Table?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My simple answer to that is: Where can I get a 28mm Grendel!!!

Eureka have a Grendel Vs Beowulf vignette. I’m not sure if it’s on the website so email Nic R if you can’t find it. Mine is painted but alas not photographed.

Participant

Thanks Ok I’ve searched this out…is this the one?

[beowulf23501144.jpg]

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

Greg, how well does Eureka’s Aztecs scale with Saleh’s Huaxteca?

(apologies for the thread hi-jack     )

I think that they size up pretty well together, Mike  –  I have a pic at this link:

Lucid Eye vs Eureka

Spectator

Thanks, Greg!

Participant

OK – back to what is on the painting table:

My table, Oct 2015

The usual Mesoamericans, some old Harlequin fantasy humans, and some bags of Claymore Castings’ Scots…

Participant

Like you, I spend much more time painting and building than I do actually playing, due to my oppressively busy work schedule.

On my work bench, it’s the early dark ages. I’m painting late Romans and a few Picts, which I’m basing for Dux Bellorum. I’ve also started building a ruined, ivy-covered Roman watchtower to serve as a picturesque form of impassible terrain. The intention is to place it on a hill and call the whole hill impassible, but I want it to be pretty enough to stand on its own.

I also just ordered Dux Britanniarum and I’m planning to build small forces of Romano-Brits and Saxons. At first, I’ll just use the ones I painted for Dux Bellorum, but these are all based permanently as units on Impetus-style stands. I could have given them modular bases, I suppose, but I dislike the look of sabots. I’d rather have the stands look natural and diorama-like and just do the extra work to have a separate skirmish force.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

Participant

All sorts of Dark Age shite, mostly Normans just now. Painting with an eye to moving them on but I’m having all sorts of trouble with bursts of depression which sort of buggers up the painting genie, just have to pick my good days carefully

Doing heaps of research on Italo Sicilian Normans and the Saracens which comprised the bulk of RodgerII and Williams army, sifting through changes in armour and dress etc. That is where I hope to put my efforts in next year.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Spectator

At some point in the nearish future I’d like to put together a pre-imperial Ottoman army, mostly threadbare ghazis and errant Turkomen around a glittering nucleus of tarkhans and sipahis (if the term is even appropriate at that stage).

Participant

Have been working on the Dreadfleet boxed set, but a bit burnt out on painting ships, so started last night with a couple of GW Fenrisian wolves – not actually for WH40K, probably going to be used for Song of Blades and Heroes.

Once those are done, possibly back to 15mm zombies for a while (the oh-so-boring Fear the Walking Dead seems to be improving, so I am inspired to work on zombies again.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

To further add to my previous comment; painting endless yards of chain mail is as boring as bat shit.

Normans good

Painting chain mail bad

The cavalry weren’t so bad due to the ‘orses breaking up the monotony but the infantry…….. 

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Participant

My painting box is relatively empty as I’m slightly painted out at the moment. Just one mule carried maxim gun which I’ve been meaning to paint for years, and oddly, a finished been carrier which had also been in there for years but has never found a home.

A more pressing task is to migrate the storage of my 6mm Napoleonic and AiW armies to new boxes, and to make some stream sections up. Both involve a bit of carpentry and will be a fun thing to do over the winter.

Cheers

Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

An RDF infantry conversion and an RDF Pathfinder Ranger Paladin conversion…

Yeah I know, wild huh!

😉

Participant

I’ve been working on D&D stuff to support a campaign I run (5th Ed. Forgotten Realms).  So I wanted to work an Otherworld Stone Giant into an encounter. I wanted some suitable setting. Thus the Stalagmites seen in this picture.

Stalagmites and Stone Giant

Also working on cavern walls and made up some 20 piercers for another area of the cavern.  Game is tomorrow.

Participant

Out Tray: 28mm Medieval foot; a couple of 1/76 Chi-Has

In Tray; a battalion of 1/72 Spanish Napoleonic light infantry

Pending: 25/28mm medieval knights; 10mm Covenanter foot; 28mm WSS French infantry; 1/144 Ki-44’Tojo’

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Participant

Hood’s Texas brigade – Blue Moon figures.

pics of above and a WIP 6mm RDF drone:

Participant

Dear War Panda

I am finishing off refurbishing an old dear friends collection of S.A.E’s  and getting them based up for gaming. It’s a  rather sad story I won’t go into. I have a pile of painting, mostly regiments for the 18th Century, a few moderns, and a fair amount of my thirty Years War figures which I am refurbishing as well. I used them at conventions for about 10 years and they got all beat to death and need re-piking and re-arming.

I say “pile” because I paint in oils. Oils take a long time to dry, so I have about three dozen projects going at once. These are stored in  boxes made from old printer paper boxes from work. Put the bottom  of the box into the overturned top and mark where the top comes. Then cut along that line, and you have a bottom that fits snugly and flatly inside the top and can contain several projects. I can paint some on one figure, then go on to the next project, close the box and put it on the pile (there is a wooden dolly that I can wheel around which stacks these) and with 24 to 28 such boxes, by the time you’ve run through the last, the first is dry and ready to be handled again.   This does not include the modeling projects  I spoke about on the hex box woods and others.  Right now in the project boxes are

1.  A unit of black “deaths head Hussars” for  my Bad Zu Wurstian (Prussian) Imagi-Nation,
    2. A unit of Lauzun’s legion for the same army.
    3. The Hells Belles, a hussar unit of female figures for the Saxe Burlap und Schleswig Beerstein Army.
    4. A unit of militia cavalry for the same (Spanish Napoleonic Guerillas)
    5. A unit of Hussars in blue and yellow for the Pseudo-Prussians
    6. A regiment of infantry for Flounce (France in the 18th century)
    7.  the Magnol Regiment, a regiment of Light Cavalry for the Princess’ army. This one took time because of the soldering and detail work for the camel drummer with  Gongs and symbols.
    8.  The  Turkish Gun line for my Ikean army. This is six heavy guns on bases which have the war wagons and stakes and the crews working around them. I want to have them going from right to left in various stages of construction. So the one on the right is ready to fire with the mantlet raised. The next one will be loading,  the next one will be still setting up the wagons and supplies, the next winching the gun off the carrying cradle wagon (and finally the first one the gun and wagon still being drawn by the twenty oxen team and the Turkish engineers, laying out the position.
    9. Three Thirty years War Swedish Regiments in ‘cross” formation.
    10. The final batch of Prussian Cuirassiers (scratchbuilt) for the Bad Zu Wurstian forces.
    11. The Token bases for a headquarters unit for the Princess Army with coach with interior detail, horses, and figures. The coach is scratchbuilt from acetate, styrene, balsa, and plastic.
    12. My Salacian War Elephants.  and so on and so forth.
    13. The rest of the others have the aforementioned S.A.E’s being worked in.
    14.  The Siege train for the Princess’ army. This will be fun as I’m using Indian Elephants from a latter colonial period to haul the guns around. The Elephants are generic and will look good with the 24 lbders and siege mortars on their wagons. In times of piece the Elephants earn their keep by giving rides to the kiddies at the local fairs.

Painting with oils is my preferred method. It takes a long time to dry, but the colors are permanent and hard wearing. I have stuff I painted 40 years ago and it’s as bright and vivid as he stuff I painted yesterday. You can mix and match any shade, and you can vary the intensity from a thin wash to a hard fine line.

Just going into its project box is a unit of Willies British 7 Years War troops I was never satisfied with and didn’t like the job I did on them. Significantly, it was one I used model railroad colors on because it was from a time period I was trying them out.  Washed them off, dusted them off and stripped the paint off with gel paint thinner– YUKKK! Anyway, I’m going to do something different with these. They are in what Suren calls Advancing at high port, but that’s not really something that works in a mass formation, so I’m putting their musket in the right shoulder and on the other hand, they are carring  a variety of things like tent poles, barrels of powder, bags and sacks of bread, maybe a few chickens, and looking like they had to shoulder up the stuff when a wagon broke down or the Indians killed the pack mules.

Should be fun.

Otto

Participant

Otto, that is simply incredible! I thought I had a lot on the go but it all fades in insignificance when compared; it all that seems beyond one human’s capacity 😉 I’m really not sure how common the use of oil is in our hobby but I’ll confess I’d never come across it before. Sounds very useful and durable I but I certainly won’t have the required patience but I admire anyone who does 🙂 Beyond impressive really

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

Nice way to start the weekend: a package of about 50 15mm cavemen, adventurers and bearers arriving from the US of A. Guess I know what I’ll be doing tonight.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

For this weekend I’ve got to finish my river – four curves, two short straights, a tiny straight with a boathouse and a ford, while that’s drying I’ll be getting on with my 6mm NKVD boarder guards and whatever tanks, trucks and guns that I can finish. If I can find the time I’ll paint up Moulder and Scully in 28mm from Nexus Miniatures.

Mike

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.